Fictional Characters…

Fictional Characters…

As you could probably tell from the title, this one is not very serious.
What fictional characters can you think of that play, or should play, a trad instrument? Also, what fictional places are there that have, or should have, a session? They can be from any book, film, cartoon, comic strip, you name it.
Here’s some I’ve thought of:
Hagrid, from the Harry Potter books, plays the flute. This is true. In the first book, he makes Harry a wooden flute, so he must be able to play it. He probably plays the bodhrán, too, knowing him.
And there’s just got to be a session somewhere in Hogsmeade. Probably the Three Broomsticks.
And Ankh-Morpork! The Mended Drum must have a fantastic session. Led by the Librarian, of course, who obviously plays the piano accordion. (For those of you who haven’t read the Discworld books, turn off your computer now and read them.)
Lord of the Rings: Merry and Pippin definitely seem like the concertina/fiddle duo to me. Bilbo probably also plays the fiddle, and is one of those lovely old folks who always sits in the same place in the session and tuts whenever someone (probably Merry or Pippin) plays a modern tune. There’s surely a session somewhere in Rivendell…
Asterix: obviously Cacofonix the Bard, but Fulliautomatix the blacksmith has always struck me as a whistle player. Or maybe fiddle…. probably bodhrán too.

Am I right in thinking that Popeye plays the concertina?

Anyway, more suggestions, please!

Re: Fictional Characters…

I’ve heard that Popeye’s favourite tune is Ships In Full Sail. I could imagine that Brom from Eragon plays the flute. I have to disagree with you on the Bilbo thing. Yes, I can see him playing fiddle, but considering his past, I don’t think he’d be object to new things. If anyone would complain about new tunes I’d say it is Lobelia Sackville-Baggins or her son Lotho.

I would thing the Guild of Session Musicians would have a bit to complain if the Librarian led. Maybe an enchanted Session book in the library would help. OOK OOK

Posted by .

I could see Obi-Wan Kenobi playing the pipes with Yoda playing the spoons during a session on Endor.
Luke Skywalker would get drunk and sing some Rebel songs.

I think Darth Vadar would have played fiddle, but would have given it up after he turned to the Dark Side…(when he bought a synth)

Han Solo, being the most charismatic, most likely played the banjo.

Snow White would play harp, and the seven dwarfs would all play tin whistle, since we know they already whistle why they work.

I personally think Peter Griffin from family guy would make a good pipe player.

The Hebrew Hammer can play a mean fiddle.

Cheers,
Armand

Thomas Hardy’s novel "Under The Greenwood Tree" centres on an English village band. I forget what happens, but unusually for Hardy I don’t think there are any atrocious or untimely deaths.

Well, we’ve seen Bugs Bunny play the piano, guitar, and banjo, Daffy Duck play the GHB, Sylvester play the flute (or was it a fife?), Porky Pig play the flute (or was it the piccolo?), and Yosemite Sam play the guitar.

I can totally see Tweety Bird playing a lambeg drum. And if we could make up a session, I’d put Sylvester on fiddle, Daffy Duck on piano accordion, Bugs on tenor banjo, Porky Pig on flute, and Tweety on bodhran. Ooh, and Marvin the Martian could play concertina. He’d rig it to blow up under Daffy’s chair but it would blow up in his face instead.

Captain Hook?..

The tea-chest bass!

Thanks for that link, Bren. It’s one of my favourite passages in fiction.

Posted by .

Aw, Merry and Pip are so cute.

Oh, and Alen Breck Stewart’s piping duel is sweet.

The Companions of the Rosy Hours in John Buchan’s Greenmantle sound like a pretty cool group too: "Then slowly from the silence there distilled drops of music. They came like water falling a long way into a cup, each the essential quality of pure sound. We, with our elaborate harmonies, have forgotten the charm of single notes. The African natives know it, and I remember a learned man once telling me that the Greeks had the same art. Those silver bells broke out of infinite space, so exquisite and perfect that no mortal words could have been fitted to them. That was the music, I expect, that the morning stars made when they sang together"

Though I’m sure Dow could think of a chord that would improve it

Posted by .

Ankh-Morpork, the largest city on Discworld, has its own Musicians’ Guild - Motto: "Id murmuratis, id ludamus" ("you hum it, we’ll play it"). Unlike a well-known music organisation in Ireland, the Ankh-Morpork Musicians’ Guild is not concerned at all with educating people in the musical arts but rather with ensuring that anyone who plays music is a member of the Guild, enforcing (sorry, "collecting") very high membership fees and imposing extraordinarily high performance rates so that the members are able to pay their dues in what little leisure time they have left.
The Guild’s tiny office has a sign saying "For Your Comfort and Convenience YOU WILL NOT SMOKE".

I said above that the Ankh-Morpork Musician’s Guild ensures that anyone who plays music is a member. Well, that’s true - in a way. Actually, it’s not compulsory in Ankh-Morpork for a musician to belong to the Guild, but then the Guild takes the quite reasonable view that it’s not compulsory for a musician to breathe and see out of both eyes either.

Aye, but far away from Ankh-Morpork, high in the Ramtops, is the Lancre Morris Men, who dance the Morris twice a year: one to welcome in the Summer, when there’s music and fun all round, and the other done in total silence in the dead of night, to welcome in the Winter…
And of course there’s Billy Bigchin, the Gonnagle of the Nac Mac Feegle, playing the mousepipes.

When the Lancre Morris Men start the Lancre Stick and Bucket Dance there is a long-drawn-out chord on the accordion that by law must precede all folk music to give bystanders time to get away.

The origins of the Stick and Bucket Dance are lost in antiquity, and traditionally it should never be performed in the presence of women, apparently because it is believed that anything connected with folk music or dance eventually involves s3x.

The Lancre Stick and Bucket Dance is danced to the tune "Mrs Widgery’s Lodger", a tune I am not familiar with, but perhaps Ceolathan or Dow can help out.
There are some other dances mentioned in the Discworld corpus: "Gathering Peasecods", "Gathering Sweet Lilacs", and the Serpent Dance which, from descriptions brought back by travellers, might very well be the origin of the Conga.

R. A. McAvoy’s Tea With the Black Dragon, a speculative fiction classic, features an touring ceilidh band.