Music/ Identity/ Politics Explained…

Re: Music/ Identity/ Politics Explained…

Thanks, much appreciated… Goodnight and pleasant dreams…

I hope he wasn’t talking about Ulster Scots music.

many say he is the best flute player in Westport.

Who says trad flute players don’t do tonguing? Excellent playing, excellent yet straightforward explanation. I wish more people - from BOTH sides - could see it thus.

Yeah, that’s the trouble isn’t it? Why on earth are we still thinking about it in terms of ‘sides’? I’m not naive - I know that’s how it’s ‘always’ been. I just think it’s about time it wasn’t.

(btw, I’m on the catholic side 🙂 )

This is not directed at you Danny - just a wish … And I’m totally with you on the playing and the explanation. Obviously a grand man. Gary Hastings that is. 🙂

Posted by .

Very good talk and playing

A good bit of sense ….

nice one harry. i think i’ve seen gary hastings in a documentary before saying much the same thing, its unfortunate that commonsense ain’t that common.

I’d never heard Gary Hastings before. Fine player.

Music and sport are great ways of bringing people together as they are a common ground for all but outside music and sport its not that easy and alot more complicated. Gary is a gentleman and a great player.

Posted by .

A really excellent contribution, I have never heard this put so well

It reminds me of a "12th" some years ago when I was living on the Ormeau Rd. I was a smoker then and so, quite rightly, was banished to the garden. There I had the pleasure, not sure that’s exactly the word, of hearing the local orange bands. To my great astonishment they played the tunes of "The broad black brimmer’, "séan South of Garryowen" and "get out you black and tans" in one set. Amusing at the time, but of course Gary is right: this is just the name "we" put on those tunes. Those tunes have existed for ages, we all have them in common. It is the context we place them in which gives them them their cultural significance.

So much meaning depends on context. It reminds me of the British Navy’s edict on homosexual acts. They are illegal. Until the ship is 49 days out of port, at which point they become customary.

Posted by .

Be cúramac Pól; Ian P Jnr might be a lurker here and he wouldn’t take kindly to your aspersions on British Naval practice!

Forgot to say that there’s an awful lot of commonsense in what the Rev had to say and his playing is, as always, first rate.

As for Gary being the best flute player in Westport, the only opposition is someone called Molloy, but the locals reckon Gary has it.

I listened to it twice and still couldn’t work out what he was saying.

Clear Drops - He was speaking relatively clearly and slowly for an Ulsterman, although the recording is a bit quiet.
Have a look at this interesting interview and somewhere in there you’ll get the gist of his views: https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9810&L=irtrad-l&D=0&P=81631

I think it might all seem a bit strange to an outsider, the notion that trad music, jigs and reels etc, was considered "Catholic music" (as my friend’s father , an Orangeman from Antrim, described it only last year when he heard a pub session).
Gary Hastings, a Protestant minister himself, explains (to paraphrase very crudely) that it was just the popular music of its day and the division is artificial and came later

Posted by .

Read a popularisation of some research recently that suggested that when we hear views that don’t conform to what we already believe, the rational side of the brain simply shuts down. (I think they used MRI to establish this.) If true, it explains some of the behaviour exhibited in war, the Troubles and quite a few of the discussions here…

Posted by .

Not this one, of course!

Posted by .

Thank you Bren, I read the article and now I think I understand. It really helps to know that Gary Hastings has studied this and was not just spouting some pre-performance patter, but I did catch the bit on the YouTube clip about playing pop music from the 17th Century. It is hard to grasp sectarianism extending to music, but then sectarianism really isn’t rational.