Now I know my ABCs: ABC help & suggestions for learning and teaching

Now I know my ABCs: ABC help & suggestions for learning and teaching

Apologies to start, as I’ll be making the first two contributions, that is if I’m fast enough.

I’ve been helping someone with their ABCs, and this morning I was formatting a few points to hopefully sell them on the usefulness of this beer coaster friendly notation, and on getting some of their favourite tunes together for contributing here, to share with us all, and admirable generosity of spirit. Then I thought, lazy as I am, "I’m going to have to do this again I supsect"! :-/ So, why not start it up in ‘Discussions’ and see what flies, including the usual shight I suspect.

So, face in a grimace, here goes ~

*CHEAT - CHEAT - CHEAT - & CHEAT some more!!!

Educational and constructive cheating ~
The following is a direct transcription from dots to ABCs, via one of the collections I readily recommend for its variety of tune forms and notations ~ "Matt Cunningham’s Dance Music of Ireland"
Page 7, a jig
Dalaney’s Drummers ~

K: ## ~ G? ~ but it seems to resolve on A, so maybe it’s A Dorian
K: Ador
|: eAA fAA | gfg age | ded GBG | B/A/GB dBd |
eAA fAA | gGg age | def gdB | BAG A2 d :|
|: efg a^ga | aba age | dBd G2 G | gba ged |
efg a^ga | aba age | def gdB | BAG A2 d :|

But this is only one name I know this by and isn’t the one I first learned it as in Eire, where I was taught it as "The Mug of Brown Ale", and I’ve also known a relative called "Apples in Winter". This also isn’t the way I play it. Now I have something to start with I can play through this and make the changes to the way I most often play it, which it turns out is not much different. This is the ‘CHEAT’, you start with something so you haven’t quite as much work to do, and then adjust it to how you know it, or hear it as played by someone or a group you’re transcribing from ~ in order to share that with the rest of us. I for one am more interested in your take, or your session’s, or a friend or mentor or favourite group, than ripped off of some printed collection or online ABC remnant, which can be, and often are, wrong or poor transcriptions, or at best confused…

Transcribing in ABCs is not a difficult thing for me, this is just one way to help you learn your ABCs. Here are changes showing some of the ways I’ve played this ~

|: g/f/ |
eAA fAA | gfg age | dBA G2 A | BAB dB/c/d |
eAA fAA | g2 g age | dB/c/d gdB | BA^G A2 :|
|: d |
efg a^ga | aba age | dBd g2 g | gba ged |
efg a2 a | a2 a age | dB/c/d gdB | BA^G A2 :|

ADMISSION ~ some software, like Concertina.net’s ABC converter, will treat that way with disdane and you’ll end up with a whole line of stretched |: g/f/ |. Here would be the wiser adjustment for such software:

|: g/f/ | eAA fAA | ~

Why do I do it that way in ‘comments’, etc.? Well, not to be a pain. I suspect part of it is the visual emphasis in my version of ‘dyslexia’, and it lines melody related bars and phrases, for example that agree ~

eAA fAA | gfg age | ~
eAA fAA | gfg age | dB/c/d gdB | BAG A2 :|
efg a^ga | aba age | ~
efg a^ga | aba age | dB/c/d gdB | BAG A2 :|

And it allows me to line up and offer options, variations on that bar, for example ~

efg a^ga | aba a>ge | ~
efg a2 a | aa/a/a a2 e | ~

I also studied notation longhand, you know, with pen and ink and something called manuscript paper. As a lefty it was a stupid thing to take up, not the rules, but the fear and frustration of smeared ink. I loved it, loved the results, the graphic representation of rhythm and pitch, but welcomed the coming of the non-smearing digital forms. This colours my way with ABCs, and also that I was involved in print design and small press publications, etc. I value ‘space’, what is also called ‘white-space’, and the layout and openness of the dots and ways of traditional notation. So, and this first one the software doesn’t give a damn about, mostly, I put space either side of the bar line an after and before a repeat sign:

~ | dBd gdB | BA^G A2 :|

But, I also reflect the dots in other ways, keeping with this jig:

~ | a2 a age | dBd g2 g | ~

Some others consider this best practice, while others hate it, as it can mean you have to try a measure two ways to do a search ~

~ | dBd g2 g | & | dBd g2g | ~ which I do without getting upset about it.

There is another reason I’ve taken this graphic way with it, the visual comparison with the dots, I find it easier on the eyes, easier to read from the ABCs… Apologies to those with less patience with my quirks here…

* Duplication:

Ways to check for its pre-existence here on site, if you go to the ‘Tunes’ section and click on the ‘Search’ tab you can try the name "Delaney’s Drummers", or any one of those two words, and you could further refine it by using the drop down meny to change it from "All Tunes" to "Jigs"… I would save that for later, to use only if your results are too massive to manage. The last refinement would be the drop down meny for "Keys", the default being "All Keys"… However, "Delaney’s Drummers" is also a name for it as found in the O’Neill collections…

More fun is to try your hand at doing an ABC search from the same ‘Tunes’ section. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab to try that ~ try say three different measures from the transcriptions:

eAA fAA / gfg age / efg a^ga

You can also try transposition to other keys, and the easiest and sanest one here would be to go down a 4th instead of up a 5th, K: E Dorian (##), one step up to B Dorian (###) means c’!, so, for a start, the Cunningham transcription in E Dorian would begin:

K: Edor
|: BEE cEE | dcd edB | ABA DFD | ~ |: BEE dEE | ~ ?

~ and you could do a search with a few of those bars…

& here it is as found on site, and two other examples of others’ ABCs from the comments:

"The Mug Of Brown Ale"
Key signature: Adorian
Submitted on August 12th 2002 by gian marco.
https://thesession.org/tunes/888

X: 1
T: Mug Of Brown Ale, The
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
g/2f/2|:eAA fAA|~g3 age|dBG GAG|~B3 Bcd|
eAA fAA|~g3 age|dBd gdB|ABA ABd:|
efg ~a3|aba age|dBd ~g3|gba ged|
efg ~g3|aba age|dBd gdB|ABA ABd|
efg ~a3|aba age|dBd ~g3|gba ged|
efg a2b|^c’ac’ age|dBd gdB|ABA A2||

This is no longer an accepted form, g/2f/2 |:
~ and the standar is now simpler ~ g/f/ |:

# Posted on October 16th 2006 by thesheep:
eAA fAA|~g3 age|dBA GFG|BAB dBd
eAA fAA|gfg age|dBd gdB|1BAG Agf:|2BAG A2d||
efg ~a3|aba age|dBd g2f|gag ged|
efg aba|aba age|dBd gdB|1BAG A2d:|2BAG Agf||

# Posted on February 15th 2007 by slainte:
f|eAA fAA|~g3 age|dBA ~G3|BAG Bcd|
eAA fAA|~g3 age|def gdB|cAA A2:|
z|efg ~a3|aba age|def ~g3|gba ged|
efg ~a3|aba age|def gdB|cAA A2:|

* See also for examples and ideas, in jig time ~

"Apples In Winter"
Key signature: Edorian
Submitted on September 29th 2001 by Mad Baloney.
https://thesession.org/tunes/299

T: Apples In Winter
G/2A/2|BEE dEE|BAG FGE|DA,D FDF|ABc ded|
BEE BAB|def ~g2 e|fdB AGF|GEE E2:|
d|efe edB|e/f/ge fdB|dec dAF|DFA def|
[1efe edB|def ~g2a|bgb afa|gee e2:|
[2edB def|gba ~g2e|fdB AGF|GEE E2||

This is no longer an accepted form, G/2A/2 |
~ and the standar is now simpler ~ G/A/ |

# Posted on June 11th 2004 by Dow:
K:Bdor
fBB aBB|fec cBc|ABA cAc|efg ~a3|
fBB aBB|fec cBc|Ace ~a3|1 fec Bce:|2 fec B2A||
|:Bbb baf|abb baf|~a3 aec|Ace ~a3|
fbb fbb|eaa eaa|fec ~a3|1 fec B2A:|2 fec Bce||

Etc: more in the ‘comments’…

Re: Now I know my ABCs: ABC help & suggestions for learning and teaching

You were never going to make just the first 2 contributions Ceol! That is not possible ;-)

I need to start contributing more tunes to this site. I can do the ABC thing - or at least I could when I submitted in the past (although it is probably a little more rusty now!).

I have spent the last couple of days rearranging my collection of music. My little ringbinder file (yellow with pretty butterflies on it! :-S) was far too small and I had music scattered everywhere. It is now all in a smart new lever arch file (although I found more late last night so have some ammendments to do today), it is all alphabetical and comes complete with a contents page broken down by category (and alphabetically arranged - the wonders of Excel!). Where there is more than one tune that is on a page (frequent) I have picked one to be the "alpha male" and arranged alphabetically accordingly and then added the other tune to the contents cross referencing it to the page it can be found on.

The contents page also has coloured boxes on it - it is very pretty!

What was that? Oh, what is the point of all this? Because I am a saddo, just like Ceol ;-)

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Uh oh, who woke him up. You’re supposed to sleep through Sundays aren’t you dear Alarrrrrrrum?

Back it up! / BACK IT up!! / BACK IT UP!!!

I won’t spready the word about the yellow ringbinder with pretty butterflies all over it as long as you BACK UP the EXCEL!!! Don’t forget you can add a cute background and pretty butterflies to your Excel file… ;-) Oh yes, after a recent meltdown with a new hard drive I purchased some flash software, but there were a few things it didn’t manage to retrieve ~ Excel files among them. So why do it myself, retrieval, and buy software, well, I could have opted for one of the considerably more expensive options and the small print says that is the starting price, even if they manage to just retrieve a small bit of data, even if it proves useless. You know, they claim if they can’t find anything it won’t cost you? Well, you can always dig something off of an old hard drive, and sometimes with little effort, just to earn the cash. DAMNED IT INDUSTRY PIRATES!!! Be on your guard, "trust no one"… :-)

Whaddaya mean we’re saddos? At least, I feel, I’m in good company… ;-)

I can’t agree they’re pirates, but they are pricey. It cost me £1,200 to retrieve the data on mine when it crashed. I understand - from the people who did it - that it took them less than a minute.

On the other hand, they have to buy the kit, which ain’t cheap …

Posted by .

ABC notation basics ~ PITCH, the highs and lows of it

The pitch / notes, just a little bit, starting with middle C, just below the treble staff, smack dab in the middle between the treble and bass staves, starting with middle C and going up ~

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - c - d - e - f - g - a - b - c’ - d’ ~

& moseying downwards toward rattling ~

C - B, - A, - G, ~ and we’ll stop there…

So let’s say you’re feeling middling and want to raise or lower a thing, and we’ll mess around with good ol’ middle C as an example ~

Upwards by a half step, to make it ‘sharp’ (#) ~
^C
Downwards by a half step is B, ~ but, in some notational instances you might do it so to make it ‘flat’ (b) ~
_C (=B, ~ basically)

And if we were in K: D Major, where it is already C# and doesn’t need an added symbol ~
K: Dmaj ~
C

But if you wanted to lower that particular C down a step, you’d make it natural so ~
K: Dmaj ~
=C

No Ben, I should adjust that ~ some of them are pirates and chancers…including on the Website design side of things…and how so many IT companies, small and large, cheat the government and educational establishments ~ for example selling out-of-date equipment for more than new and higher spec equipment would cost off the shelf… This is from personal experiences, many, and mostly they were shysters. Sadly most folks in the business of educating and supplying our institutions are none the wiser to the scams and waffle…

Sorry, off topic, but one that riles me… They are stealing from all of us, including our future and our children… An old "Maggie" hangover, profit is more important than ethics… GRRRRR!!!!

And some take pride in it and for others it is admired… That’s just sick…

OK, they’re pirates.

Go and cheer yourself up with the thought that I’ve broken my own publicly stated pledge never to post one of my own tunes …

(tee hee)

:-D

https://thesession.org/tunes/7331#comment290041

Posted by .

Who says I sleep through Sundays?! :-O Actually it was kind of a late night last night - didn’t go anywhere but was working on that contents (which ended up, due to deleting cells and the cells moving in the wrong direction with polkas stuck among marches and 9/8s among 6/8s, etc - a total nightmare. Still it is sorted now, with the new tunes added. Total is currently:

27 marches (various meters)
10 hornpipes
17 polkas
8 "others"
87 jigs (inc. 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8)
146 reels (inc 2 6/4s and 1 5/4)
20 Strathspeys (which we all know are a form of reel!)
18 waltzes
20 airs

Total = 353 tunes

Shame I can’t play them - any tips to managing this would be greatly appreciated!

In my defence - that yellow ringbinder was the only one that was in Govan Asda the day I went shopping for one! It has it’s comedic value anyway!

I will back the file up now on my memory stick!

(Spot the guy who has finished his Uni course for the summer - currently on the job hunt!)

Anyway I think I will work on posting a tune now and maybe another one tomorrow!

Damn, I hate adding to an already self-possessed mad man’s strengths, imagined or otherwise, but while the title is daft, I have to be honest if cruel to everyone else around you ~ DAMNED NICE TUNE BH!!! Here it is again, but with the missing www for we priviledged members ;-) ~

"Frunobulax" ~ a really fine and fun reel by Ben Hall
Key signature: D Dorian
Submitted on June 10th 2007 by benhall.1.
http://www,thesession.org/tunes/7331

Damn, and I so hoped you’d remain in your closet… ;-)

Now to consider what mischief I can get up to in the ‘Comments’ :-P

Nice Alarm, so what were your studies and aspirations? Maybe one of us can offer some ‘constructive’ direction?

Nice list, we’re a bit thin on marches herein…

ABC notation basics ~ RHYTHM & TIME

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note_value

The header L ~ (The use of ‘headers’ ~ X: ~ T: ~ etc., are considered and appreciated ‘good practice’)
L: is how the default note-length is determined ~
L:1/8
~ means that any single note (C) or group of notes (A,B,C) on their own = 1 semiquaver / eighth note…

note & rest = z ~ I’ll use the note G, & the rest (z) alternately for the following examples ~

G,16 ~ breve = double whole note = 8/4
z8 ~ semi-breve = whole note = 4/4
G,4 ~ minim = half note = 1/2
G,6 ~ dotted
z2 ~ crotchet = quarter note = 1/4
z3 ~ dotted
G, ~ quaver = eighth note = 1/8
G,> ~ dotted
z/ ~ semi-quaver = sixteenth note = 1/16 (NOTE: /2 is no longer used, 2 (1/2) being assumed with just /)
z/> ~ dotted
demi-semi-quaver, = thrity-second note = 1/32
G,/4 = a quarter the value of the default note…

L: 1/4
G,8 ~ breve = double whole note = 8/4
z4 ~ semi-breve = whole note = 4/4
G,2 ~ minim = half note = 1/2
z ~ crotchet = quarter note = 1/4
G,/ ~ quaver = eighth note = 1/8
semi-quaver = sixteenth note = 1/16
z/4 ~ = a quarter the value of the default note…

ABC notation basics ~ RHYTHM & TIME

M: ~ the header for ‘meter’

SINGLE BEAT: groupings used for examples ~ ABc & A,B,C & abc’ & ABcA & A,B,CA, & abc’a, etc…

Duple, two beats to the measure / bar

M: 6/8, 9/8 & 12/8 ~ etc… ~ ABc / A2 B (A2B) / c3

M: 2/4 ~ A,B, / C2

M: 4/4 ~ ABcA / A2 Bc (A2Bc) / A2B2 / A3 B (A3B) / c4

Treble, three beats to the measure / bar

3/4 ~ ab / c’2

~ etc…

Swing ~ > = more than, the note to the left is larger than the note to the right
Snap ~ < = less than, the other way round…

Some folks hate the > & <, but I love it. I try to, since phantom button urged me to, always add a bare bones version in the ‘Comments’ after any I offer up swung, sometimes I’ll say the brown paper wrapper version, or the one without the gingerbread, minus > & < & also usually (3 and any / ~ …

https://thesession.org/tunes/7332

Done - I hope the ABCing meets with your approval. I tried to line the bars up (even putting 2 spaces in at times) but the copy and paste from notepad put an end to that.

Tomorrow I think it will be a polka.

My studies and aspirations still are to be a primary school teacher. I have one placement left around october time and then it is supply work for me.

Right now it is just really bar/call centre work I am looking for - nothing exciting. I certainly don’t have a career as a whistle tutor waiting for me!

If I put a march up would I need to pick another class of tune to put it in, e.g. jig or polka? I know why, but it just doesnae seem right! :-(

"It has it’s comedic value anyway!"

I’m surprised at you, Alistair. I remember us being on the same side in the great ‘Apostrophe Wars’.

:-P

Posted by .

They should make a film about that - Apostrophe Now.

… The Man Who Went up a Comma and Came Down an Apostrophe …

Posted by .

Dam’n you!! Do you never forge’t?

ABC notation basics ~ MARCHES ~ the great missing categories

The joy of marches is also in their variety ~ probably every key signature under the sun, including mixed meters. So, what should you choose for a category for your march? Here’s some basic suggestions ~

6/8 ~ file it as a jig

2/4 ~ polka, so many polkas were marches to start with anyway…

3/4 ~ file it as a waltz

4/4 ~ probably best under ‘barndance’ as there are correlations, including between accompanying dance forms

Etc. ~ the rest is up to you ~ ;-)

ABC notation basics ~ REPEATS & lead-ins & NCFA’s return to ABCing

Damn nice notation Alarum, but I’d be sorely tempted to throw in one sharp at the end ~

| dB^G A2 ||

I should mention here, as I’ve caused Jeremy’s software enough hassle and the man time, but originally submitting ABCs with the lead-in, if there was one, on it’s own, like mentioned previously ~

eAA fAA | gfg age | ~

He was kind enough to request, as it made things much easier, and for conversion to dots, ‘Sheetmusic’, to have the lead-ins on the same line, followed by the usual 4-bar phrase.

|: g/f/ | eAA fAA | gfg age | dBA G2 A | BAB dB/c/d |
~

That’s how I do it now, but after conversion I sometimes go back to line up the bars.

eAA fAA | gfg age | dBA G2 A | BGB d2 g |
e2 A f2 A | gfg age | d3 gdB | BAA A2 :|
~

I know, nuts, I won’t deny my quirks, for fear they might sneak up on me one day and get the better of me… 8-)

I know - but why not have a category for "march" and then pick your meter afterwards with all the different ones listed?

The 4 listed above are the only four I have marches in just now anyway. I have a complete (and very fancy) transcription in ABC for a 6/8 march that I wrote out for my website (before it vanished into the inter-ether! It is not on the site here so I will add it soon.

I have been meaning to post a couple of polkas for ages (they are meant to be together) so that is tunes for the next three days sorted out!

Thanks Ceol - and NO! :-D

Ow! You didn’t have to slap my hand over one measely little sharp… :-/ A teacher is supposed to inspire and support creative innovation… ;-)

Sorry Sensei! Anyway Steve Mansfield is my ABC tutor! - I have had part 1 and 2 of his guide printed out since (according to the print out) 9th December ‘05 and I dug them out to g over the fineries! But you keep writing your guide tips and I am sure they will be ruminated, conjugated and digested by even the worst ABCer! :-)

Looking at his website I see he has updated the guide - has much changed in it?

Not a lot…

Steve’s site is always the first thing I send to anyone making an inquiry. I’ve had a few inquiries over the last month and this started out as an answer to one. I’m hoping others will add their ways of helping here, ot get to grips with ABCs, to overcome notation-phobia…

When teaching I incorporate notation, ABCs and dots, into part of the process, as well as a little dance.

Anyway, here comes the next large addition, just examples…

ABC notation basics ~ ABC EXAMPLES

From the top 50 tunes in tunebooks on site here ~

These are the tunes that members of The Session have added to their tunebooks, listed in order of popularity:

https://thesession.org/members/index.php
~ click on the ‘Tunebook’ tab for interest…

1.) "Drowsy Maggie" ~ REEL
Key signature: E Dorian
Submitted on May 21st 2001 by Jeremy.
This tune has been added to 1357 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/27

T: Drowsy Maggie
M: 4/4
R: reel
|:E2BE dEBE|E2BE AFDF|E2BE dEBE|BABc dAFD:|
K:D
d2fd c2ec|defg afge|d2fd c2ec|BABc dAFA|
d2fd c2ec|defg afge|afge fdec|BABc dAFD|

& in the ‘Comments’:

K:Edor
E2 GE BEGE|(3EEE GE BEGE|D2 FD ADFD|(3DDD FD ADFD|

|:E2BE dEBE|E2BE AFDF|E2BE dEBE|1BABc dAFD:|2BABc dAFA||

E2Bd cABE|E2BG FADF|E2Bd cABc|1 dfec dAFD:|2 dfec dAFA|

|:E2BE dEBE|E2BE AFDF|E2BE dEBE|1 BABc dAFD:|2 BABc dAFA||

~E3d cABE|~E2BE FADF|~E3d cABc|1 dfec dAFD:|2 dfec dAFA||

~E2Bd cABE|~E2BE FADF|~E2Bd cABc| dfec dBAF:||

"Em"E2BE E2BE| E2BE "D"AFDF| "Em"E2BE B2Bc| dedB "D"AFDF||

2.) "The Kesh" ~ JIG
Key signature: G Major
Submitted on May 25th 2001 by Jeremy.
This tune has been added to 1116 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/55

T: Kesh, The
K: Gmaj
|:G3 GAB| A3 ABd|edd gdd|edB dBA|
GAG GAB|ABA ABd|edd gdd|BAF G3:|
B2B d2d|ege dBA|B2B dBG|ABA AGA|
BAB d^cd|ege dBd|gfg aga| bgg g3:|

& in the ‘Comments’:

A scottish smallpipe version
K:D
|: {g}A{d}A{e}A {g}ABc | {g}B{d}B{e}B {g}Bce | {g}fe{A}e ae{A}e | {g}fec {g}ec{d}B |

& just added with other options ~ ;-)

X: 1134
T: The Kesh Jig
K: G Major
|: D |
G2 G GAB | A2 A AB/c/d | edd gdd | edB dBA |
GAG G2 B | AA/A/A ABd |edd gdB | AGF G2 :|
|: d |
B2 B dB/c/d | e/f/ge dBA | ~B3 BA^G | ~A3 FGA |
B^AB d^cd | ege dBd | g2 g a^ga | bgf g2 :|

3.) "The Butterfly" ~ SLIP JIG
Key signature: e minor
Submitted on May 18th 2001 by Jeremy.
This tune has been added to 954 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/10

T: Butterfly, The
M: 9/8
R: slip jig
K: Emin
|:B2E G2E F3|B2E G2E FED|B2E G2E F3|B2d d2B AFD:|
|:B2d e2f g3|B2d g2e dBA|B2d e2f g2a|b2a g2e dBA:|
|:B3 B2A G2A|B3 BAB dBA|B3 B2A G2A|B2d g2e dBA:|

& in the ‘Comments’:

T: The Butterfly
M: 9/8
R: slip jig
K: e minor
|: B2 E G2 E F3 | B2 E G2 E FF/G/A | B2 E G2 E F3 | B2 d d2 B AFD :|
|: B2 d e2 f g2 d | B2 d g2 e dBA | B2 d dd/e/f g2 a | b2 a g2 e dBA :|
|: B3- B2 A G2 A | B3 B^AB dB=A | BcB B2 A G2 A | Bcd g2 e dB^A :|

10.) "The Rights Of Man" ~ HORNPIPE
Key signature: e minor
Submitted on May 25th 2001 by Jeremy.
This tune has been added to 662 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/83

T: Rights Of Man, The
R: hornpipe
|:GA|B2A2 G2F2|EFGA B2ef|gfed edBd|cBAG A2GA|
BcAB GAFG|EFGA B2ef|gfed Bgfg|e2 E2 E2:|
|:ga|babg efga|babg egfe|d^cde fefg|afdf a2gf|
edef gfga|bgaf gfef|gfed Bgfg|e2 E2 E2:|

& in the ‘Comments’:

T: The Rights Of Man
R: hornpipe
|: G>A |
B2 (3ABA G2 (3FGF | E>FG>A B2 e>f | g>fe>d e>d (3Bcd | c>BA<G A2 (3FGA |
(3BcB A2 (3GAG F>G | E>FG<A B2 e>f | g2 (3fed B2 (3fgf | e>E E>^D E2 :|
|: g>a |
b2- b>g e2 (3fga | b>^ab>g e2 (3gfe | d3 e f3 g | a>f (3def a2 (3agf |
e^def g>fg>a | b2 (3agf g>fe>f | g>fe<d B2 (3gfg | e2 E2 E2 :|

* SET DANCE ~ King Of The Fairies
Key signature: E Dorian
Submitted on January 1st 2002 by Jeremy.
This tune has been added to 457 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/475

T: King Of The Fairies
R: hornpipe = set dance
|:B,2|EDEF GFGA|B2B2 G2GA|B2E2 EFGE|FGFE D2B,2|
|EDEF GFGA|BAGB d3c|B2E2 GFE_E|E6 :|
|:d2|e2e2 Bdef|gagf e3f|e2B2 BABc|dedc BcdB|
|e2B2 Bdef|gagf efed|Bdeg fedf|e6 ef|
|g3e f3d|edBc d3e|dBAF GABc|dBAF GFED|
|B,2E2 EFGA|B2e2 edef|e2B2 BAGF|E6:|

& in the ‘Comments’:

R: Set Dance
K: E Dorian
|: zB |
E>^DE>F G>FG>A | B3 A G>FG>A | B>E (3EEE E>F (3GFE | F>GF>E D3 B |
EzE>F GzG>A | B>AG>B d3 =c | B2 E2 G<FE>^D | E2 E2 E2 :|
|: (3Bcd |
e2 B2- B>de>f |g>ag>f e>fe>^d | e2 B2 B>^AB>c |d2 d>c B>c (3dcB |
e2 B2 (3Bcd e>f | g>ag>f e>fe>d | (3Bcd e>g f>e (3dfe | e2- e>^d e2 e>f |
|g3 e f2 f>d| e>dB>c d3 e |d>BA>G F<GA>B | d>BA>F G<FE>D |
|B>E (3EE^D E>FG>A | B2 e2 e>^de>f | e2 B2- B>AG>F | E2 (3EEE E2 :|

R: Set Dance
|: B2 |
E2- E>F G- G>A | B=cBA G>F (3FGA | B>EG>B E>F (3GFE | F2- F>E D>dc>d |
.E2 .E>F (3GGG G>A | B>A (3GAB d>c=c>A | B2 E2 G<FE>^D | E>eB>G E2 :|
|: (3Bcd |
e2 (3BcB (3Bcd e>f |g>ag>f e2- e>^d | e>BB>c B>^AB>c | (3dcd d>c B>c (3dcB |
e2 B2 (3Bcd e>f | g2- g>f e>f (3edc | (3Bcd (3efg (3fed (3Bcd | e2- e>^d e2 e>f |
g>Be>g f>cd>f | e>dB>c d>c (3def |d>BA>G F<G (3ABc | (3dcB A>F G<FE>D |
B>EC>^D E>FG>A | B2 e2 e>^de>f | e>B (3BcB B>AG>F | (3EDC (3BCD E2 :|

* 3/4 HARP PIECE / WALTZ ~ "Si Bheag Si Mhor"
Key signature: D Major
Submitted on December 20th 2001 by dirk.
This tune has been added to 436 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/449

T: Si Bheag Si Mhor
M: 3/4
R: waltz / harp piece
K: Dmaj
de |: f3e d2 | d2 de d2 |B4 A2 | F4 A2 | BA Bc d2 | e4 de| f2 f2 e2 |
d4 f2 | B4 e2 | A4 d2 | F4 E2 | D4 e2 | B4 e2 | A4 dc | d6 | d4 de :|
|: f2 fe d2 | ed ef a2 | b4 a2 | f4 ed | e4 a2 | f4 e2 | d4 B2 | A4 BA |
F4 E2 | D4 f2|B4 e2 | A4 a2| ba gf ed | e4 dc | d6 |1 d4 de:|2 d6 ||

& in the ‘Comments’:

K: Dmaj
de|f2 fe d2|d2 de d2|B4 A2|F4 A2|BABc d2|e4 de|f4 e2|d4 f2|
B4 e2|A4 d2|F4 E2|D4 f2|B4 e2|A4 dc|d6|d4:|
|:de|f2 fe d2|ed ef a2|b4 a2|f4 ed|e4 a2|f4 ed|d4 B2|B4 A2|
F4 E2|D4 f2|B4 e2|A4 a2|bagfed|e4 dc|d6|d4:||

K: D Major
|: de |
f3 e d2 | d2 e2 d2 |B4 A2 | F4 A2 | BA Bc d2 | e4 de | f2 f2 e2 | d4 f2 |
B4 e2 | A4 d2 | F2 F2 E2 | D4 f2 | B4 e2 | A4 dc | d6- | d4 :|
|: de |
f3 e d2 | ed ef a2 | b4 a2 | f4 ed | e2 e2 a2 | f4 e2 | d4 B2 | B4 A2 |
F4 E2 | D4 f2|B4 e2 | A4 a2| ba gf ed | e3 fe | d10 | de :|\

* POLKA ~ "The Britches Full Of Stitches"
Key signature: D Major
Submitted on October 24th 2002 by Paddy.
This tune has been added to 283 tunebooks.
https://thesession.org/tunes/1075

T: The Britches Full Of Stitches
M: 2/4
R: polka
K: D Major
|:d>e fd|ed fd|d>e fd|edB2|d>e fd|ed fa|d>e dB|BA A2:|
|:~a2af|ed ef|~a2af|edb2|~a2af|ed ef|d>e dB|BA A2:|

& in the ‘Comments’:

K: A Major
|: E/F/ |
A>B cA | BA cA | A>B c/B/A | FA EF |
AA/B/ cA | BA ce | | A>B AF | FE E :|
c |
ee/f/ ec | BA Bc | e>f ec | BA F2 |
e>f ec | BA Bc | AA/B/ c/B/A |FA E>c |
ef ec | B>^A Bc | a>f e/f/e/c/ | BA FA |
e2 ec | BA B2 | AA/B/ A/G/F | FE E |]

K: G Major
|: GA B/A/G | AG BG | GA BG | AG E2 |
GA BG | AG Bd | GA GE | ED D2 :|
|: d/e/d/c/ dB | AG AB | g/a/g/f/ ge | dB A2 |
d2 dB | A/B/A/G/ A2 | G2 GE | ED D :|

I first learned ABCs back in the 60s, but I’ve seen ABC notation, and the related letter-based Solfeggio notation, at lesat as old as the turn of the 20th Century… It definitely predates computers…

ABC notation basics ~ PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE

And, never forget your ears… Try picking up some tunes from the ABCs, even one’s you already know, to try some variations others have contributed here. I promise, with a little effort and time you’ll get comfortable with ABCs and find them useful. As with all notation, it is a skeleton, lifeless by itself, just a key, an outline ~ it takes understanding and care and passion to build a living thing from those bones, with muscle, blood flowing and a heart beating to maintain that life. That’s you and me. Notation can only ever be just another tool, a rough guide. Your ears, and the greater process of ‘tradition’, in this case, the sharing of understanding between musicians, the passing on of their understanding to you and me, is the process that brings life to this music… That is a priceless thing, tradition, precious. Take every opportunity you can to learn from others and to listen with care and appreciation… As it is dance music, as always, whatever inclination your feet might have, get out and try some dance, make it physical.

Don’t let the perfectionists, sticklers, the politically constipated or the board-up-the-assers dissuade you from the craic… Elitist tendencies can put one off, as can cruelty, but just take it that these things weren’t and aren’t the norm, that they probably occur out of fear and insecurity, though we all know there is no word for sadist without there being acts to define… Avoid those jerks when they make themselves known… The music is yours, and it does not belong to any one person or clique. Notation was one way to preserve some essence of it and to share it. Don’t deny yourself that tool out of some misguided stubborness of belief that to be ‘traditional’ you have to be music notation illiterate. And if you need help, there’s a great bunch of folk on this site willing and able in all sorts of ways. An integral part of this process ‘tradition’, at the heart of it, is social interchange. It is OK for some folks to have their cliques, human nature, you can’t really deny that to them, but you can move on and search out something more open and fitting to your own needs and spirit. Don’t give up, it’s too much fun to deny yourself or to let anyone else get in the way of… Have fun with it, and try not to take it too seriously…

So, was that OK? Can I kick the soapbox back under the desk and take off the dog collar and return to the drink?

Hallelujah & Amen! ~ :-)

Sorry to post so late. Looks like everyone has gone for now.
Some good comments & I can only think of one thing, if you have not already found it celoachan.
BTW I looked through all 3 pages of Steve Mansfield’s tutorial.
It is definitely the most entertaining manual I have seen.
Try this in the convert-a-matic & see what you think.
X:1
T:Jig
M:6/8
K:Ador
|: g/f/ |\
eAA fAA | gfg age | dBA G2 A | BAB dB/c/d |
|: d |\
efg a^ga | aba age | dBd g2 g | gba ged |
efg a2 a| a2 a age | dB/c/d gdB | BA^G A2 :|
%%stretchlast

I added some spaces to the abcs just to try to make them
as readable as possible without affecting the sheet music.
The \ allows you to type the 1st bar on 1 line
without getting a long bar for the 1st line of sheet music.
%%stretchlast just tells the software to make the last line
equal length w/lines above.

Posted by .

The additional spaces closed ranks upon posting.
Cheers

Posted by .

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Yes, he’s obviously using software that manages the back slash that way. Other sofware also seems to create breaks in a similar fashion, as some software, if you were to just leave it like that, or as I have, ignores all breaks, such as stacking it in four measure phrases, it will just fill up a line with as many bars as it can and then move to the next, unless you use their specified way of making a break, like a back-slash \…

Nice though Muse, I didn’t realize that concertina.net’s ‘ABC Convert-A-Matic’ would read the back slash, brilliant. Next time someone complains I’ll have to tell them… Much appreciated… :-)

On a super basic level, I wonder if a graphic representation of ABCs as they relate to the fiddle might help turn on a light for people (well, some fiddlers, anyway…). For example, this Gmaj scale:

e—-|————f—-g———————-a—————
A—-|———-B—-c———————-d————-
D—-|———-E———————F—-G—————
G,—|———-A,——————-B,—-C————

We were thinking along the same lines fidkid…

D ~ winds, whistle & flute, from the bottom up ~

D - E - F - G - A - B - c
d - e - f - g - a - b - c’
d’

I did also think about other instruments. Yours, fidkid, will do for the mandolin as well…nicely done…

Eyes glazed over, as Kennedy said somewhere else, and it was obviously happening to me above… For further glazing, but to correct some of my own glazing ~ DUPLE & TRIPLE METERS ~

Duple = two beats to the bar
Triple = three beats to the bar
Quadruple = Duple + Duple
If each beat of the bar is divided into 2 parts = simple meter
If each beat of the bar is divided into 3 parts = compound

Meters ~
2/4 = simple duple ~ | AB cd | ~
6/8 = compound duple ~ | ABc def | ~
4/4 = simple quadruple (or duple + duple) ~ | ABcd ABcd | ~
12/8 = compound quadruple (or duple + duple) ~ | A2 c A2 c Bcd cde |
3/4 = simple triple ~ | AB Bc cd | ~
9/8 = compound triple ~ | ABc ABc A2 c |

So, kennedy, that should end up giving you cataracts… ;-)

kennedy’s valid points with regards to this ~

This post is confusing. Like for instance, the part where you said:

"More fun is to try your hand at doing an ABC search from the same ‘Tunes’ section. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab to try that ~ try say three different measures from the transcriptions:

eAA fAA / gfg age / efg a^ga ~"

First of all, the bars are not the pipe characters, which I think is what you meant, they’re slashes, which have a specific meaning in abc, so I started thinking that maybe I was reading it wrong…

And then by the time you said:

"You can also try transposition to other keys, and the easiest and sanest one here would be to go down a 4th instead of up a 5th, K: E Dorian (##), one step up to B Dorian (###) means c’!, so, for a start, the Cunningham transcription in E Dorian would begin:

|: BEE cEE | dcd edB | ABA DFD | ~ |: BEE dEE | ~ ?"

You totally lost me. It’s just way beyond my level, I just started learning this stuff. And why the question mark? I just had trouble following it, is all, so that’s why I said my eyes glazed over. Please don’t be offended, I appreciate your posts, it’s just that particular one that gave me trouble.

# Posted on July 6th 2007 by kennedy

* Duplication:

* * * * * * ~ attempt at clarification :-/
I realize now my own confusions, but also that I’d left bits out that were probably covered in the emails that this thread rose from… Here goes an attempt at clarifying. I only hope it works… More proof of my madness…

* More fun is to try your hand at doing an ABC search from the same ‘Tunes’ section. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab to try that ~ try these three different note groupings, = 1 bar/measure each, from the transcription. Try entering any one of them for a search:

eAA fAA
~or~
gfg age
~or~
efg a^ga

* To check further for the possibility of duplication you can also try transposing a tune into other keys, which you could limit to just a few bars, such as those given in the previous example. The easiest and sanest key change here, keeping within the more common key signatures of between 1 and 3 sharps, for "Mug of Brown Ale" in A Dorian (#), would be to transpose it to E Dorian (##). The most accessible direction for that transposition would be down a 4th instead of up a 5th, the latter would raise the highest note to a high c, = c’… Here’s the beginning of the Cunningham transcription in E Dorian again:

T: The Mug of Brown Ale
K: A Dorian
eAA fAA | gfg age | dBA G2 A | ~

& here are the same first three bars transcribed down a 4th to E Dorian:

|: BEE cEE | dcd edB | AFE D2 E | ~

You could then check and see if this melody exists on site in the alternate key, using any of the three measures given for a search…

Worse, there are all the endless variations that can also exist, and that contributed to some of the previous confusions and convolutions…

|: B2 E d2 E | Bdc edB | ABA DFD | ~ :-/ "nyet!"

Beautiful! Much clearer, thank you.