What’s the name of this box-player?

What’s the name of this box-player?

The latest programme siar an bothar is now available in ceol cartlann at tg4 webtv. The programme features Brendan Mulkere, anyway at the end of the programme (~0,28 min) there is a great box player playing outdoors with dancers. (After the clip with Mick Mulcahy)

http://www.tg4.ie/Webt/webt.htm

Can somone identify this player? Do he have any recordings?

Great programme anyway

Re: What’s the name of this box-player?

It’s the great Bobby Gardiner. He’s also a fantastic melodeon player! He has at least two recordings.

I’m interested in knowing who the mandola player with Mick Mulcahy is … any help?

I Think it is Frank Hogan ,he was on the CCE LP Lucky in LovE om the MandoCello ????

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But he looks a lot older and shorter (?). There is a clip of him from 1982 with Paddy Carty, Conor Tully and Padraig ac Donnacha and this clip, only a few years later, just looks like he’s put years on himself.

But you’re still probably right Martin.

It could be the old telly pictures , I only look my best now on a 42 inch Wide Screennnnn

Ha ha…Ah, you don’t look half bad on the Comhaltas Tour Stages now Martin!

Thanks, have to look out for some recordings of that man.

I see he plays almost entirely on the inside row, so I belive you when you say that he is good melodeon player as well.

I haven’t the technical skills to find the music clip.

Well from the link above
- clikck on webtv link
- from there the link to ceol-cartlann
- from there siar an bothar (8/6-07)

Anyone know the name of the tune played by Mick Mulcahy in the clip? Can’t say I’ve heard it before.

Great programme, watched it for a second time when it was repeated on friday night.

Jonathan 🙂

It’s a reel called The Kilrush Polka.

Thank you, Trad Lad.