The Session.org filling up with new discussions too quickly?

The Session.org filling up with new discussions too quickly?

Getting tougher to stay current with all of these discussions. Every time I log on there are another 10 new discussions already added. And don’t they all refer back to other previous discussions? Has there already been a discussion with suggestions for improving the discussion part of this site?
Was just thinking that the ‘Fish and Chipple’ forum has a nice system of grouping discussions by category, e.g. Pipes, Non-pipes, Strings, etc.
How would we group them here ?
* Useful info
* Politics
* Guys chatting with their mates in public web space at bed time
* Slagging off the World Fleadh and other festivals
* Pretending to know nothin’ about nothin’ and seeing who will respond
* Other bull not covered by any of these categories

And before anyone starts checking membership serial numbers and histories … Yes, I am a relatively recently added member with a low submission record.

Cheers,
Kevin

Re: The Session.org filling up with new discussions too quickly?

Somehow I don’t think that means you’ll be let off lightly…

Kevin, there are always discussions about discussions here - here’s an example:
https://thesession.org/discussions/9062

That was a joke BTW.

You forgot one in your list of categories:
Discussions started off by someone whingeing and moaning and whining about the quality of the discussions here.
Usually those people get regulars’ backs up and don’t often last too long. Let’s hope you’re made of sterner stuff. But we’ll see….

It doesn’t have to be broken down into categories; all you have to do is know what subjects keep repeating themselves in an endless cycle and you can jump in anywhere anytime and be right on topic.

The subjects are:

Bodhrans, spoons shakey-eggs etc., are all bad.

Don’t learn music from “the dots.”

Session etiquette — where do you sit, what do you wear, what do you talk about, what do you like, what do you hate?

Accordions – piano vs. button

Concertinas – Anglo vs. English

Who’s your favorite musician, band, recording tune, instrument, etc.

How do you play a triplet, roll, cran, etc.

Are sessions public performances?

Anyway… you get the idea.

Thanks K.M.L. There’s that old problem again … I didn’t search out previous discussions before starting this latest one !! Anyway, looking forward to hearing from the regulars.
K.

Chin up Kevin, it’s only just starting… 😉

Tee hee….

Jack - you forgot the endless anal obsessors who lose sleep about how many hairs to have on their bows, and how often they should oil their flutes.

And the "What is this crap being posted as ABCs"/"How do I do ABCs" threads!

Another major category—-"what’s the tune this guy’s playing on this YouTube clip?"

What is anal about "how often they should oil their flutes"? It’s one of the vital issues of a fluter’s life.
That, and whether thread or cork is better for the joint.

And you must be old if you can remember Tipp for it’s hurling.

Sneezing - you’re right of course. I thought I’d try and balance up my usual fiddle-geek bashing posts by bashing players of my own instrument. But I was wrong in assuming most of you would have seen through or known what I’d be up to.

"guys chatting with their mates in public web space at bed time."- as you said, it’s public web space. which is why you haven’t been attacked for putting up this post. It’s your right to post crap like this on the web.

And buddy, who says you have to keep up with all the discussions? If they’re about somethin’ stupid, just forget about it.

Another one you forgot:

*Guys being stupid.

Yep yep. I must be the only (intelligent) girl on here — and don’t worry, I’m not easily influenced and WILL NOT end up like YOU. I mean, I thought you were all smart, intelligent, mature adults.

Well, I don’t wanna grow up then.

… No offense.

As you already pointed out Kevin, the reason is how this list is programmed, treads dissapear in the bitheaven too soon beacuse of the new threads.

There are free bulletin board database programs available which do much better and also allow editing you posts, which would be a handy feature for a furrin’ like me with lots of typos and such.

Posted by .

perhaps we should stop posting to this discussion. we might make it too long.

Don’t forget the "Daggy tunes that I would rather rip my eyes out than play" thread.

And, Danny, I’m about to send my bow off to be rehaired! !! 😀

Someone mentioned Chiff & Fipple - one of the big advantages of that forum is that if someone posts to an ongoing discussion it returns to the top of the list (even if it’s months old). One of the frustrating things about discussions here is that no matter how fascinating they are they just go down the list and fade into obscurity in no time at all. Just my 2 p.

Now, gotta go oil my flute… 🙂

Posted by .

No, if you go to Discussions then click the Comments tab, you get the latest comments regardless of how old the actual discussion is. That’s my usual method of keeping up with the crack on here.

How many hairs should I have on my flute?

… depends how often you oil it

Posted by .

mmm…. there’s a good idea here somewhere…maybe fiddle players ought to oil their bows…. quieten them down a bit….

🙂

Rhod, go to ‘Discussions’ and look up, you see that tab, the one tagged ‘Comments’, well, click on that and et voila, comments by currency. Enjoy, but please, wash the oil off your mitts before returning to the keyboard.

A hairy flute, hmmmm, and oiling it eh? Don’t you know you’ll go blind! 😏

See, now I’ve learned something new - I didn’t know that thing about ‘comments’ - very useful! Thanks KML and Ceolachan.

Myopically yours… 🙂

Rhod

Posted by .

I didn’t say I oiled it, normally it gets waxed ….

Are we in brazilian territory here…? 🙂

Posted by .

Another typical comment "Down at the sesh last night an old guy with a Kerry accent played this unusual polka - I think it went something like this fA BA, fA BA, d2 e>f, ed BA - any ideas on a name for it?

I agree with KML that the comments tab is a good way of keeping track of older threads but even then, there are so many that these too quickly disappear off the radar.

I have to say I actually prefer the old lay out where there were maybe 15 or so discussions on the page rather than the 10 there are now.

But who am I to question…..

I do regret it when an interesting thread drops off the end of the conveyor belt, but the “comments” tab is the answer to that. And maybe it’s best that the discussions sink into the depths (the more metaphors the merrier, eh?). The multiple threads about music notation, session etiquette, pet peeves etc. feel more like realspace conversations, snippets of conversation between tunes. Returning to the same topics is a time-honored practice and god-given right of public house habitués anyway, right?

I guess this is what what?!? wrote, except that he was much more concise!

In fact 20 would be even better.

66, 67, 68 doh! I’ve lost count of my hairs!!!! Now one you’ve forgotten is "Do you have to be Irish or have Irish blood to play ITM?"

I don’t know if this is a relevant question. With as few people out there playing ITM relative to the entire world of musicians, and intolerant or indifferent significant others who fall asleep if one discusses the nuances of binci reeds, Clarke whistles or your bazouki players rythym, it’s nice to have some folks to talk to on this site.

If a topic is not of interest…move on.

btw…when I respectfully suggest that I know nothing about something and ask for the wisdom of the larger group (topic 5), I generally don’t know about whatever I am asking to frame an intelligent question. I thought that tapping into the collective experience of the folks who have already played through the mistakes I am just learning to make was the purpose of sites like this 😉

What about these eeejits that get all upset over ITM cd’s being labelled as british.. sheesh….

oh wait… C R A P , that was me. DOH!! 😛

Yeah that’s cos ireland is in the British Isles…..

(sprints off, breaking world record for 100m in the process….)

Yippee ; we’ve come full circle … there’s the reference to These Islands again … bound to get another 20 postings added to this thread now.
Thanks for the tip on the ‘Comments’ tab.
K. ( a.k.a. NotAFlutePlayerFrom Belfast )

LOL ….. fecker 😀

KML you prob guessed I didnt actually type fecker !!!

I say we change the name to "Irish Isles". And England can be called anything anyone wants to call it……. I am sure they have been called many things over the years

No one should mention the "Isles" anymore as it gets tedious scrolling down through these unending posts and I’m not making it any better by responding!

No Comment

Posted by .

The point of my last post Bannerman.

OK Zippydw I’ll go along with that, and we’d even have a ready made national anthem "When Irish Isles are Smiling"

Just start a new board called ‘The English are all tossers’ to post to then we can get on with the muisc.

Posted by .

I was totally wrong about the English claiming things……or was I. Check this out even Samuel l. Jackson can see it…
http://taint.org/2003/12/16/015858a.html

Posted by .

<<<<<< Experimental new facility on The Session >>>>>>>

This discussion has been terminated by the author.
Any further postings will serve to ban the contributor for 6 months from all Tionoil and Fleadhanna.

<<<<<< Experimental new facility on The Session >>>>>>>

take the soup

Posted by .

This has nothing to do with KevinOK’s original question(s) but don’t alot of the "Tune Requests" just languish in a growing list. Few people look at them & there is no way to search easy way to do a search.
BTW on Chiff & Fipple you tend to be limited because there are categories. TheSession Discussions are like a session. Everything gets thrown into a pot. Point is even though its madness … well I don’t have a point.
Cheers

Posted by .

Do the categories refer to the original question(s) &/or comment(s) or the question(s) &/or comment(s) in the Replies?
I forgot the categories.

Posted by .

Actually… that’s a good point. There’s nowhere in here other than the discussion board to submit tune fragments that you hope people will recognize and finish. I’ve used the discussiion forum a few times for this, but it seems like there needs to be a place in the tunes section for it.

I never knew about the comments thing before - brilliant!

Posted by .

I submit tune fragments for recognition to the Discussions every now and then, because when I submit them to Tunes Search nothing ever surfaces. They almost invariably turn out to be something already in the Tunes base.

I went back to KevinOK’s categories & added some of the suggestions:
* Useful info
* Politics
* Guys chatting with their mates in public web space at bed time
* Slagging off the World Fleadh and other festivals
* Pretending to know nothin’ about nothin’ and seeing who will respond
* Other bull not covered by any of these categories
* New member comment
* Phantom’s list of redundancies
* Posts which can be edited at any future date
* Posts which will be completely erased
* Instrument & bow maintenance
* Drum maintenance
* Subjects already discussed on Chiff & Fipple (redirect to new categories)
* Tune request (redirect to title, type, or fragment)
* How to leave discussions w/dignity intact. LOL
* What do the acronyms mean?

Posted by .

Got a suggestion for what to call These Islands:

TISBWATOO.

=The Island Surrounded By Water And The Other One.

Oooh. I like that, nicholas! It sounds like either a place in Star Wars or a place where bronzed pool boys bring you fruity rum drinks while you lol in a shady cabana.

That would be "loll", as in recline languidly in a skimpy bikini, glistening with oil, not unlike a flute. Without the bikini. And hair. Subject to and together with the appropriate wax.

No one has mentioned the "guitar is an ITM illegal alien" or "guitarists ruin sessions by their heavy handedness" or "if there’s one guitar already just leave yours in the case and hang at the bar instead…" threads.

Guitarists UNITE!

😉

Posted by .

Well they can be lumped in with the "racist and provocative threads" group including all the nonsense about having to be Irish to play (if even that is good enough!).

Amen.

I tried sarcasm but it didn’t work.

Posted by .