What to play on a Snowy Day?

What to play on a Snowy Day?

We’ve got a fair Nor’easter hammering the New England, (USA) coast today. Blizzard conditions shut the whole region down. Cabin fever looms. Any suggestions for thematically apropos tunes?

Pro-active thanks,
Gra5ity

Re: What to play on a Snowy Day?

Gra5ity,
Try these for size,
1 Tame her When Da Snow Comes - a Shetland on this website
2 The Snowy Path - a slip-jig (appropriately) on this website
3 The Snowy Mountain - on this website
4 Snowy Monday - on this website
5 The Snow Storm - a reel in O’Neill
6 The Snow on the Hills - a reel in O’Neill
7 Frost and Snow - a reel in O’Neill
8 The Stormy Scenes of Winter - a traditional song from Nova Scotia in jig time, with a lovely icy feel, which I’m submitting today so that everyone can enjoy it at this time of the year in the northern hemisphere

Enjoy!

How about The Frost Is All Over?

Well that should keep my fingers from freezing up!
Thanks, Paul and Trevor. I eagerly await the posting of the N.S. song.
Any one else like to chime in? I can’t recall the last time I had a WHOLE day to play tunes!

Gra5ity

Snowflake Reel is a fun tune. Not Irish. Maybe it’s Canadian. I guess it’s not quite time for Easter Snow. If you type in the word snow at JC’s tune finder you’ll get a bunch of hits.

Steve

and if you’re really cranky about the snow, there’s ‘drive the cold winter away.’ it’s on jc’s

sarah

Hey Sarah,

That’s one of my favorite anglo concertina tunes! I hadn’t thought of it as I’m reveling in abundance of down time watching the landscape transform before my very eyes.
Calls and e-mails to my dear ones confirm all is well so I’m exploring new tunes. If the Winter persists for another month (or 28 days, now) on St, Pat’s I’ll be playing & singing ‘Drive the Cold Winter Away’ for all I’m worth. I’ve heard there’s a dozen verses for the melody but only found six.

Trevor’s post of ‘The Stormy Scenes of Winter’ includes some wonderful lyrics quite fitting for the recently passed St. Val’s. Especially if one observed the festivites as ‘Black Friday!’ (eek!)

Gra5ity

Thanks glauber,

The weather alchemists predict no break in the storm ‘til midnight EST so my shoveling (now that’s traditional!) must wait for morning.

I’m not too fond of contemporary compositions, being a rugged traditionalist, but that one kept me away from the pile of dishes in my sink so I’ll give it another go.

Gra5ity

I love the slip jig ‘The snowy path’. Played just right it leaves you up in the air on this play on words.
I’ve never quite got the moment right for this one here in the more temperate climes of Eastern England.

There’s a jig I posted a while ago called "Snowy Monday".
I’m afraid I can’t get in the mood - it’s hot, humid and stormy down here in Sydney :-)

This too shall pass, Dow,

Snowy Monday, which you posted on 17 December 2002, seems the perfect fit for my environs today. My in house humidity creaks at 10% and I’m looking at a snow drift in excess of 1 meter in height! I try to enjoy that which each season offers up.

My partner spent the months of August and September skiing "down under" in Jindy. She brought back many ripping yarns of the Austrial Winter. Who’d-a-thunk of snow on the ‘Fatal Shore’ but it’s available in the right season.

Gra5ity

How’s about ‘Apples in Winter’, or for Dow , is it ‘Apples in Summer’??. Or just drink a "Cup of Tea", put your elbows on your ‘Dusty Windowsills’ and look out at the window. Stay warm.

Look out ‘of’ the window, as well as ‘at’ the window:-)

How about the Sound of Sleat? It has a wintry title, although it’s actually a coastal area off Scotland.

Con

hooky! *heh, heh*