Leprechauns! …and fiddle tunes…

Leprechauns! …and fiddle tunes…

A while ago I was asked to play a tune from an old film….the Chap who asked for it couldn’t remember the title of the film, but said it involved leprechauns, and the hero of the film had to play a certain piece of fiddle music to escape from the leprechauns…..
After a bit of searching, I’m convinced that the film in question is Darby O’Gill and the Little People. I have no idea what the piece of music was that Darby played in order to be released, but I have a horrible feeling it was something specially composed for the film. Does anyone know of a trad tune that sounds similar enough so that I can tell this chap it’s from the film? After all, he’s not seen it for a long time…

Re: Leprechauns! …and fiddle tunes…

Freddy:

How much time do we have before you need this tune (or something similar) to perform?

Bad news: I agree, I suspect the tune was composed for the film.

Good news: My town library happens to have the film in their collection, and I could probably try to get it for you. Then all I need to know is how one submits a tune to this site.

Let me know if this would help, and I will give it my best shot.

Cheers.

Posted by .

No rush for the tune, and it doesn’t have to be perfect….I suspect it’s horribly difficult to play….If you fancy having a go at transcribing it, then that’s fine, but a soundalike tune would do.
I’m overwhelmed by your enthusiasm B.T.W.

Thanks for that KML. I think your right, it’s a mish-mash of bits and pieces, I’d be best off playing something similar….It’s Disney Oirish at its worst, I’m afraid….

Yeah, the first few bits of it sound nice enough when it’s just him on the fiddle. I’m sure you could abstract a respectable tune out of that. The rest, with the orchestra is just cack, though.

HAAAA HAAA HAA I forgot how ridiculously unbelievable his fiddle playing was. AAAh good times, thanks for that clip KML.

I’m gonna have to rent that out this weekend now. Hilarious.

that’s awseome…"fetch the stradivarius"…."occhhh..I’dr ather have me own"….

Is the plot reminiscent of Orpheus supplicating the Powers of the Underworld? Did Disney merely hijack that old one, or is it based on some ancient Hibernian myth which has Indo-European root parallels with the ancient Greek one?

The former I suspect.

Look up some Tom Anderson tunes - he reckoned to have learned some "trowie" tunes from the little people, and maintained you only played them once through (good idea for sessions?).

thats actually an interesting point KML. Most of the irish myths have strong similarities to greek myths. Dierdre of the sorrows for example. Sure isn’t cu chullain basically the same guy as achillies - both had a god as a father, both told they would die young but be remembered for ever, both the greatest worriors, the list goes on.
all down to the arrival of the Tuaha De Dannan who were believed to be greek.

It did not look one little bit like a Stradivarius! Wrong color varnish altogether. I love that line too, though. Fetch the Stradivarius! I’m going to use that the next time anyone asks me to play for them…

So……now that my worst fears have been confirmed, has anyone got any ideas what I should play instead? preferably something that sounds similar to the first bit of the tune…..that was bearable, the rest as they say, was pants…..

IMDB soundtracks listings have ‘Rakes of Mallow ‘and ‘The Fox Chase’ as traditional music for the movie. Both are not tunes i am familiar with. Does anyone recognize them?

Trivia: Did you know that Disney wanted Barry Fitzgerald for the role of Darby originally?

Also I think this was Sean Connery’s first major movie.

BTW it was Achilles’s mother who was a goddess (Thetis) not his father. OTOH I know that in Scottish folklore the fiddle and the faries figure often toghther. Usually playing at faire weddings

Wow, how’d he get his fiddle to sound so full? Must be one of those Hardanger fiddles.

I dont know if this is any help, but the guy makes references to hunts and in the comments someone said "now I am teaching myself the Fox Chase". Also if you type "the fox chase, darby o’gill and the little people" into google it comes up with "The ensuing jig, a fox chase".

Comments on the Youtube link that is.

The Fox Chase is a piping piece that’s meant to sound like well, a fox chase. The tune that Darby claims is the Fox Chase is not remotely the Fox Chase.
The Rakes of Mallow is a rather annoying little polka.

Which colour varnish did you have in mind for a Stradivarius, Kennedy?

‘Cos there’s brown ones, red ones, at least one purple one (I kid you not), a couple of yellow ones, orange and also gold … I’ve probably missed some …

A purple Stradivarius, really? Guess I need to do some research. I’ve mostly seen the reddish ones. But that was one unattractive fiddle Darby O’Whatsisname was holding, you have to admit…