Irish music in Glasgow August 2007

Irish music in Glasgow August 2007

I will be in Glasgow 2 Aug until 11 Aug. I’m looking for sessions to attend, ideally within walking distance of the Firhill area, where I will be staying.
I have been warned about the "neds".
I have checked the session lists, and various site, but would like updated, recent opinions as to where to go.
My weekends will be pretty busy so sessions during the week are ideal.
I will actually be there with the Los Angeles Scottish Pipe Band- we will be playing at Perth, Bridge of Allan, and the World Pipe Band Championships. But I’ve been an ITM flute/whistle/uilleann player for 30+ years.
Should I just bring a whistle? Or do some sessions feature Scottish smallpipes as well, playing Scottish tunes?

Re: Irish music in Glasgow August 2007

Did you not get the email? The sessions I named do have Scottish smallpipes/border pipes present frequently. We are in Scotland so Scottish music does get played, as does Irish music. You will be more than welcome at the sessions. There is no update to the sessions section available other than there are tunes in Slainte on St Vincent St now (which I have not attended yet). I imagine that will be a mix of Scottish/Irish too.

There are NO SESSIONS within easy walking distance of Murano St - none, zero, zip, ziltch. All there are are boarded up bars and three legged dugs, and the occasional off licence with buzz-in doors.

Your piping escapades will take you a long way from Maryhill though. The Piping Centre is in Cowcaddens (I used to work there) and the Championships are on Glasgow Green which is in the East End of the City (Maryhill is in the West End).

If you were to walk from Murano St to the Ben Nevis, knowing all the short cuts and at a good pace it would probably take about 20-25 minutes. Going the easiest way would take about 40 minutes. Get a taxi!

I was just going to ask this same question. I am also tagging along with a pipe band to the World Championships (Rob Roy out of Kingston, Ontario) and I was looking for some good sessions. We are staying at Strathclyde University, so ideally something somewhat close to there would be nice. Richard, we are also going to Perth and Bridge of Allan, perhaps I will see you there!

The Strathclyde halls that the bands stay in are to the east of the city and are about 5-10 minutes walk from Waxy O’Connors (next to Queen St Station). Most of the pipers seem to hang around in the bar at the Strathclyde Halls but the name escapes me (it is where the invitational competition is held) - I don’t think there are any tunes there though.

I hope this is not the start of 10,000 identical questions as every single piper in the world wants to go to a session!

Your’e thinking of Todds Bar. No tunes there.

I am thinking of Todds Bar, you’re right! Only been there the once and it was full of pipe band members! It was like a huge Rugby club convention 🙁

Thanks for all the information! Yes I did receive the email, thanks! Is the place on St Vincent St called Slainte or Failte? Or does there just happen to be two places on the same street with similar names?
Twin Fiddler- now it seems that we have pulled out of the Perth Games and will be going to the Dundonald Games instead the day before Bridge of Allan. But still we will both be at Bridge of Allan and at the Worlds in Glasgow Green. Look for the LA Scots- we’re the ones with the pretty claret kilts!
We will be performing at noon at George Square on Wednesday 8 August.
But in any case I like to walk and I’m a very fast walker and I don’t mind footing it about as long as I’m not accosted by Neds or Football Hooligans. Seems that the sessions which are most often recommended are Ben Nevis, Babbity Bowsers, and Waxy O Connors.
What about this plan:
Monday Islay Inn or Sharky’s
Tuesday Uisge Beatha or Failte (or Ben Nevis???)
Wednesday Ben Nevis
Thursday The Park Bar
Friday Chrystal Bell
Does The Lismore actually have sessions on all the nights listed (Monday through Thursday)?
I was just going to take a loud whistle (I won’t have room for uilleann pipes on the airplane). Now here in California Scottish smallpipes/border pipes (I have both) are rather unwelcome at sessions, which have the unspoken rule that it’s OK to play Scottish tunes as long as you play them on normal Irish session instruments.
Thanks again for the suggestions!