Peggy’s Nettles

Peggy’s Nettles

I was at a blinding session in Slough last night when I heard a superb fiddle and banjo combo play a gorgeous jig. I asked for the name and somebody said they thought it was a new tune, maybe written by somebody in Danu, and that it was called ‘Peggy’s Nettles’. Can anyone confirm this and tell me more about it?

Re: Peggy’s Nettles

Yep..that tune was written by Noel Ryan, the then guitar player with Danu. Apparently His Mother Peggy would throw nettles into his bed to get him out in the mornings….He wrote mthe tune in Mickey Keirn’s pub in Ennis Co clare

The album it’s on is Think Before You Think, btw.

If it was the Herschel Arms you were at then the guy on the banjo was most likely Ian McGirr. I was supposed to go along last night, even had a lift. However, the barman at the White Lion on Sunday filled me full of Aftershocks, and that’s exactly what I was suffering all day Monday.

If anyone hasn’t been to the Herschel Arms, you should go at least once, just for the experience as this session deserves it’s legendary status.

Con

Conan, it was indeed the Herschel and I would have to agree with your endorsement. I try and get at least once a month (only to listen, the standard’s way too high and the pace way too fast for me) and these sessions are the best I’ve ever witnessed. There’s a nucleus of players who always seem to be there, but everytime I go there seem to be new faces. Last night was an absolute stormer, there was even a lass with a harp. It was like listening to a small orchestra. Magic.

Any chance of posting the Herschel to the "sessions" section of the site?

Thanks.

Can anybody tell me where Slough is?

Gerry and Sasha

It’s a fair way from Vancouver (just west of London, England).

And don’t anyone dare ask how "Slough" is pronounced 🙂

How’s it pronounced?

Brent

It rhymes with cow/