Irish Ways - The Story of Ireland in Song Music & Poetry ?

Irish Ways - The Story of Ireland in Song Music & Poetry ?

Has anybody bought this box set? If so what do you think of it? It sounds really interesting with Ron Kavana taking a few years to put the whole project together. - They just played a couple of tracks on the BBC Radio 2 Mike Harding show who said the box set was “ simply brilliant “. Sounds pretty good.

Re: Irish Ways - The Story of Ireland in Song Music & Poetry ?

I’ve only heard the radio show too, but was impressed.
I’ve been 40 years in London and have never managed to hear Ron Kavana live in all this time so I only know of him second-hand.

Re: Irish Ways - The Story of Ireland in Song Music & Poetry ?

Well, I bought the box set and I regret to say that I wish I’d saved my 22 quid. Anyone who, like me, is a big Ron fan will be grievously disappointed at the music content for a start. I don’t take to the close-miked unaccompanied singing much and there isn’t an awful lot of new material considering it’s a 4-CD set. The raunchy, upbeat side of Ron is somewhat lacking. But, most seriously, there are very long tracts of Ron intoning about Irish history. This is usually underlain by familiar tunes and every now and again you wish he’d just pipe down for a minute so that you could hear the music properly! To be honest, I’d rather read a good book about it and I wouldn’t want to listen to this set repeatedly. I don’t doubt Ron’s scholarship but if you were neutral and didn’t know much about Ireland you might just suspect tendentiousness creeping in at times. I’m just not sure that this is the most effective way to relate Irish history. It’s had a lot of cracking reviews and I may be in a minority of one so I suggest giving it a listen if you’re interested in obtaining a compact version of the history of Ireland.