What is this (very simple) reel please ?

Re: What is this (very simple) reel please ?

Thanks 🙂

And it’s not * very * simple, at least when you play the 3 part version everyone does…… : they leave out that part, bunch of cheaters…. ; )

Oh my god that was truly truly dreadful. Stop poisoning these pages with such diatribe

Posted .

Well, she’s quite cute whether she can play or not. 🙂

However, I agree. what a lot of shecht !

Ah, come on guys! Surely the whole video is tongue-in-cheek. It is too cheesy for it not to be. If it is a satire then I think it works very well. On the other hand, if it is not, and is deadly serious then…..

Whaddya mean! They must be traditional they got the caps and the bodhran and even play in the weeds.

Slan

Dan

Alright. I was entertained. What exactly made this so dreadful, etc?

1. Sounds like the wolfe tones
2. Looks loke the wolf tones
3. Has as much imagination as a wolf tones arrangement
4. Some of these people can play, …………why play this lowest common denominator sh**e when they could probably play their own country’s music with some degree of finesse?
5. Comes as close to Irish trad music as Black and white Minstrel Show to New Orleans Blues.

1. Sounds like shecht
2. Video is shecht
3. Shecht arrangememnt
4. Fiddle player still looks cute though

I see.

Maybe llig leahcim can answer.

That’ll teach the likes of Andy Irvine to go messing about in the Balkans. Impressed as I am by llig leahcim’s creative use of English, could anyone explain what “such diatribe” means?

Posted by .

I think he might have meant “tripe”.

He’d have been right.

OK, I’m off to the butchers to get a pound of diatribe

Posted by .

feardearg–I can’t speak for llig, but here’s my take on that video clip:

Irish traditional music is great stuff. It deserves more respect than it gets in this sort of trite “stage Irishman” treatment.

Here’s another, I think better, performance of The Musical Priest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6ZtyHdeEI

“Such diatribe”

It was probably a misnomer.

😉

Diatribe = Bunch of skinny aborigines

ooops, sorry that’s a “diet tribe”

Backer- What the fook is wrong with the Wolfe Tones?

I can’t speak for backer, but their backward-looking political approach pandering to cheap pseudo-revolutionary sentiment (what I hear called the “plastic Paddy syndrome”) would be a start to an answer.

Posted by .

I think Bill the Butcher used the word “diatribe” in the movie Gangs of New York.

What are you guys on?

I’m very fussy about my tunes and I find nothing at all offensive about this crew. I think it’s very well executed and entertaining (good fun) and I was very impressed with the reel playing. This is the rhythm that always screams “I’m not Irish”. Lots of wonderful non-Irish musicians just don’t get it at all. The rhythm was sound and she’d be more welcome than a lot of Irish people in our session. My wife was very close when she guessed Croatia as the source but I think she was just trying to be outrageous!

Jim

Diatribe Ena is a sweet and juicy lass.

I agree with skerries - why get upset about what is an affectionate tribute at worst, even if they didn’t *get it right* according to those who know? It’s not as if any Irish musicians never cocked up blues, jazz, reggae … or Balkan music for all I know.

Posted by .

“Irish traditional music is great stuff. It deserves more respect “

Ha! So let’s all get wasted and play it in smelly pubs.

I am really struggling with this. Was it their hats?

I try to be culturally sensitive. I have learned many things about the Irish culture that wouldn’t have occured to me as I diatribe around on this site. I value what I have learned in relation thereto.

Were we just being hyper critical, as usual, or are there real issues?

OK, hypercritical maybe. Just a matter of personal taste, I suppose. I’m not Irish, so it’s not my place to judge whether something is insulting to Irish people.

But did you check out that other version of The Musical Priest? I think it’s better, musically, and that’s what I’m interested in.

And the fact that it was The Musical Priest being played by a musical priest made it all the better.

I think the problem that many have with this video is that it plays on blatant stereotypes about Irish music and Irish people making them come across as simple country folk that diddle away. It is really an extension of the whole Aran sweater thing. But at the same time it is clearly just a bit of fun. The band are playing on the image and by all accounts have achieved a deal of success doing this.

Anyone that goes out and gets p*ssed on St Patrick’s Day and wears lots of silly Guiness memorabilia whilst being surrounded with pictures of leprechauns and listening to the pub singer as he gives his rendition of ‘Grace’ or ‘Black Velvet Band’ has no right to complain. 😉

Hey, don’t lump me in with the “let’s git drunk and be Irish” crowd. I’m not responsible for everything bad about America. ;>}

Sorry, mickray. That really wasn’t aimed at anybody. And believe me when I say that in that description of mine I did not think about Americans once! Paddy’s Day is great anyway, even if it does play on the Oirishness of everything.

I don’t like the video in question anyway finding it too stereotypical. I just don’t think it is worth getting a tizz over. Frankly if that fiddler wanted to come to our session she would be more than welcome.