Jimmy Hogan, RIP

Jimmy Hogan, RIP

News arrived in NYC yesterday that flute / whistle player Jimmy Hogan of Boston and Lahinch, Co. Clare passed away in Boston on 2 July at the age of 91. He was a gentleman in the true sense of the word and a wonderful musician, as well. In his younger days, Jimmy played with the Kilfenora Céilí Band, and he later played in the Boston dance halls of the 1940’s.

I knew Jimmy from his association with the Boston Comhaltas group. I also remember a particularly spectacular evening on a Céilí Cruise around Boston Harbor, where musicians included Anne Marie McCormick, Conor McCarthy & Anne Rynne, all of the current Kilfenora Céilí Band, & Tommy Peoples, formerly of the Kilfenora (as well as many other notables!). On that particular evening, Anne Marie remarked that someone should record his (Jimmy’s) tunes, as he had many tunes that would die with him, tunes that no one else had.

That recording did come about, thankfully: "A Clareman’s Music", c2005 Hanafin-Cooley CCÉ / Boston College, with notes by Prof. R.K. O’Neill, Larry Reynolds and Michael Quinlin. produced by Seamus Conolly and Larry Reynolds.

Ar deis De go raibh a anam usal.

Re: Jimmy Hogan, RIP

Very sad news. I have great memories of Jimmy at the Toronto North American Comhaltas Convention in 2001 where he played his whistle in most of the sessions. He also had a great rapport with the younger musicians from Ennis who were over there for the weekend.