Unique way of identifying a whole load of session tunes?

Unique way of identifying a whole load of session tunes?

Can anybody help?

I have a large number of recordings of session tunes that I would like to try and identify. I recorded these tunes in sessions last year in Clare and Tipperary on a digital recorder so the quality isn’t bad. I was thinking that if somebody would like to have a go at trying to identify the names of these tunes I would be happy to post a CD copy of the tunes to you. - I hopefully get to know the names of at least some of the tunes and you get a free CD.

Obviously I am only prepared to try and send a few CD’s. But if you are confident that you are the type of person who has a very good knowledge of the tunes played in these areas of rural Ireland get in touch by e-mail.

Any takers?

Re: Unique way of identifying a whole load of session tunes?

What’s the starting wage and holiday allowance p.a.?..

If you have a place to post these files online, that would be more efficient. I would be willing to have a go at it but I don’t know that my knowledge is sufficient to warrant sending me a CD.

Yeah, send me a CD, if I don’t know the name of the tune I’ll make one up for you…….bargain!

I second the idea of posting an mp3 of each tune somewhere online and letting us all have a go. This has been done before with great success.

I’ll third that idea. You’ll find a great shared common body of tune knowledge on here. Failing that, I’ll have a go.

Just learn all the tunes. you’ll forget the tune names after a few months anyway…

Posted by .

I’d be pretty good at remembering names of tunes,especially the older tunes. However, there is a lot of new stuff being played nowadays by younger players, so you could get back a CD called Gan Ainm. You could record them on a CD and email the tunes as an attachment. Save a fortune on CDs and postage…

Sorry Jamie - I am assuming that you can convert the tunes to Wav file and then reduce the file by way of your ‘Sound Recorder’ to MPEG - Layer3

I also would reccomend uploading the files somewhere on the internet. I would be willing to have a shot at it since I’m interested in the area of identifying tunes. And, if I’m unsuccesful, I can make up a CD for you in return. Email me if you’re interested.

Or, I’ll email you seeing as that’s what you asked 😉

Thanks for the replies and the numerous e-mails. I will sort this out on the weekend and post out a few CD’s for a few of you. - Thanks again.

So that’s a “no” to putting MP3s online? Oh well, your loss.

hi i have a rake of trad people in my area from clare so i may be able to help you with those tunes!