name of first jig please

Re: name of first jig please

I think but am not sure that it is a jig written by Kieran Hanrahan and Maurice Lennon from their days in Stocktons Wing and called A Trip To London

It’s on the Stockton’s Wing compilation CD "The Stockton’s Wing Collection" on a track "The Trip to London". However, the track consists of two jigs - this first is in "G" followed by this one in "A" so which one does the title refer to? In any case they’re both great jigs and a tremenduous credit to the writing skills of Maurice and Kieran. BTW the two of them were in session in the Central Hotel in Miltown Malbay yesterday along with ace Armagh fiddler, Brendan McGlinchey.

Certainly recorded - and very probably composed - by "Stockton’s Wing", as Bannerman and concertinaplayer say.
In my opinion, though, the version on the video has been altered quite a bit from the original. I do have a transcription from "Stockton’s Wing" playing of it, which I’ll try to find and post in the next few days. I’m also sure I remember seeing Paul Roche playing it with the band using a "Bb" whistle, which would put it into an odd key.

Posted by .