Anyone going up to Glencolumcille?

Anyone going up to Glencolumcille?

Hello. I’m wandering around Ireland at the moment and have heard some very good things about this festival. Does anyone recomend it? Anyone have stories about it from the past. Anyone have some info about this year? (I noticed it wasn’t in the events section.) I have not found any solid information about it yet. I just had a couple of people tell me I should go. Thanks.

Re: Anyone going up to Glencolumcille?

I’d be interested also. Very pretty area, but normally very quiet. I am planning for next year and would love to go back, particularly if there was a festival.

I am going. There is no programme at the internet, but I got an e-mail from one of the organizers and he told me to be at the local school at 10 a.m. on July 30th for the registration to the workshops.

Well Kira hows things? I highly recommend Glencolumcille if you like Donegal fiddle music, perhaps the best thing about the festival is that it shows another side to Doengal music as personfied by James Byrne. You’ll hear lots of Highlands, Strathspeys, Waltzes, Mazurkas and Airs that you mightn’t hear elsewhere. Added to that the area is really beautiful. The festival is really brilliant for anyone into Donegal Fiddle. It is not a festival that would suit anyone else though. It is not hugely publicised because they don’t want a rake of banjo players and accordionists turning up!

The general format of the week is classes in the morning/afternoon from some of the best Donegal fiddlers then some afternoon/evening recitals and all night sessions where you’ll find most of the top Donegal fiddlers. There are only 3 pubs where music is played so it is small and if you are not well versed in the Donegal fiddle repertoire it can be a bit initimidating to try and join in in the sessions, but James Byrne is very welcoming in his sessions so look out for where he is playing to listen to and learn some great music.

Then the big guns tend to hang out in one pub and the sessions they have are really amazing but not for the faint- hearted! You’d really need to know your stuff to join in with them.

If you haven’t booked a place to stay there is really only one option at this stage, the hostel on the hill which is a mad place and a real must do experience. It’s a unique hostel with unique hosts, particulalrly Mary, who runs the place with her son. I can’t really explain what makes the hostel unique, you’ll just have to go there yourself and prepare yourself for an experience!

Anyway, I’ll be there scraping away at my fiddle, might see you there.

Dave

Posted .

I was there a couple of years ago—great music—great scenery and some pretty heavy hitters in the trad music scene. The pubs in the village are PACKED at night, and the sessions are wonderful.
Tim

Thanks. I’ll probably see you up there Dave. I wish I’d asked you about it when I saw you last week. Silly me.

Hey Kira how’s tricks?! Hope you have a brilliant time. Wish I was going…Have been living in Sligo for 2 months (gorgeous) but just returned to the UK. Be back in Sligo late oct. How long are you about? Hope you’re very well!! Lxxx

Posted by .