Breton music - Gwerz

Breton music - Gwerz

I have spent half an hour fruitlessly trying to find a link to hear samples and probably buy music by Gwerz. Can anyone point me in the direction of a link which actually works, and suggestions for any other good Breton music would be gratefully recieved

Ta

Posted by .

Re: Breton music - Gwerz

I’m not an expert on Breton music, but I enjoy listening to it and love Brittany. Some other groups/players I like are Koun, Pennou Skoulm, Kornog, Skolvan, Jean-Michel Veillon, Christian LeMaitre…
This is the Breton equivalent of listening to the Bothy Band, rather than the pure drop, but it’s great stuff. Also, get an album by a bagad (pipe/bombarde/drum band), like Bagad Kemper—that’ll really lift your hat!

http://www.keltiamusique.com has tons of stuff (and their shop in Quimper is like a traditional music playground).

http://www.cdroots.com/keltiamusique.shtml is another source for some Breton music.

Check out Pennou Skoulm, as Tintin said, very similar to The Bothy Band, they only brought out one album, which is available on Amazon. Also Kornog produced some excellent music, especially the album Premiere.

Thanks loads, people are very helpful as usual. Perhaps I am being dense, more than likely, but I can’t find any samples here that I can just hear without having to sign up and give e mail etc, which I am bit wary of.

Thanks to everyone

Posted by .

Other good bands are Den, with their one and only release "Just around the window", Are Re Yaouank, Tri Yann, Carré Manchot and Barzaz.
Agree with the recommendation of Bagad Kemper, and Dan Ar Braz always gets some good people to collaborate with.

Also anything by the Molard brothers - Jacky, Patrick and Dominic

Good luck Pól

I too have been snouting about trying to find reasonably generous free audio clips of Breton music. Are there any out there?

If Pennou Skoulm is the Breton Bothy’s then Kornog is the Breton Planxty. Check out their album Premier.
I have a copy of Gwerz - Live (with the black and white stripey cover) and I listen to it constantly. Pure art.
If you visit Breizh check out www.fest-noz.org to find out where these fantastic bands are playing.