Remote family recordings

Remote family recordings

The musical members of our family are scattered around the country, we would like to record some songs and tunes for posterity, without the need to arrange a meet. Is there some clever software/program whereby one can put down a melody, pass it on for someone to put on some vocals etc. so we end up with a family CD.

Frankie Gavin’s new band

has anyone heard them live? who’s in it?

Re: Remote family recordings

opps sorry about that last comment! meant to start a new one.

I’d suggest "Relative #1" purchase an analog-to-digital converter to connect to his/her computer—plus one decent microphone. Converter should come with basic multi-track mixing software.

After "Relative #1" records his/her bits, ship the gear to #2 and so on. The last one in the chain gets to master and burn the CD.

"analog-to-digital converter" aka "sound card"?
Entry level recording/sequencer software such as Cubasis would let you build up the tracks, but you’d either need the same software on all computers, or pass one computer around!
The other option would be to record a starter track, everyone else plays their part individually against that one, then you bring them together for mixing. Hmm, could be tricky

Almost any recording software (ie. Protools etc.) will let you save it to a disk or convert it to a WAVE or MP3 and you should be able to send it on to your family members. BUT, it’s possible that they might need the same software that you’ve recorded it on, but I’m not sure of that.

Posted by .

Very interesting question. It can get tricky to mix tracks; but not impossible. Why not have a musical family reunion? Anyway … if each family member has a computer & microphone it is feasible. You probably want the same software just so as not to complicate the process. I have only done recording with the individuals present or at least nearby. Since everyone would use the same software that would lean me towards freeware are low priced shareware. I use NG Wave;
www.ngwave.com/
which is $30 (US) a copy
I just downloaded Audacity (freeware) to see how it compares. I know afew people who like the program;
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Wikipedia has some additional links you might browse;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Posted by .

Sorry for all the typos but I am just about to logoff.
Good luck!

Posted by .

For f**k sake, can ye’s not use this as an excuse to meet in a pub somewhere.

So we have:-
Analog-to-digital converter, & microphone& software.
Soundcards & Cubasis.
Pass the computer. (when the music stops..)
Protools etc.
freeware. Shareware. Ng Wave.
Audacity.
Meet in a pub.
I also found a thing called RecordPad.

From the list I think a favourite is begining to emerge.
The idea for this was outed at a wedding last weekend, the first time we had been together in ages. It would take two more wedding and a…Whishht. see link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGS4WYyYyw