fiddle mutes

fiddle mutes

hello,

This is just a little question about fiddle mutes:

Which shall i get?there are so many to choose from

All i want to do is stop my brother getting p*ssed off when i practice!

Are they easy to take on and off? And what do all the different types do?

cheers for any info

Jake

Posted by .

Re: fiddle mutes

All depends how much you want the fiddle muted. You can get a rubber mute that fits on your bridge for a few dollars. For about $20US, you can get a metal mute, and they really reduce the sound. Great for folks living in apartments. Just be careful when you put it on your fiddle that you don’t drop it and scratch your fiddle. very easy to use. If it bothers your brother that much, I’d have your brother cough up the money.

Good luck,
Larry

But don’t make a habit of using the mute all the time when you practice - use it only when really necessary. Too much practice with the mute can affect your tone control.

Both of the above are excellent advice. I use a heavy Meisel metal mute (be careful not to drop it - can’t stress that enough) for early morning and working through difficult passages, but augment that with lots of muteless playing — not to say loud all the time, but to experiment with playing loudly, playing softly, bearing down on the bow, holding it lightly, etc.

I use the little rubber one that fits on the bridge. It’s inexpensive and does the trick just fine.

Or use a clothes peg - the type with a built-in metal spring.

i bought a metal one, but it was too much, so i usually use clothes pin.

"if you want to mute the treble put more below the bass strings and vice versa"

Pardon the tangent, but if anyone could explain the physics of [above] to me, why, I’d be much obliged.

i think i’ll go for rubber rather than metal.

I’ve also seen some ebony ones, are these any good?

cheers

jake

Posted by .

i dont play the fiddle but i have heard that using a mute can cause you to play sharp as if lowers the pitch… therfore when you play without it you are playing too sharp… if you get my drift… i think anyways…

saxwhistle your an idiot by using mute your reducing the amount of vibrations causing less volume not pitch

I had an ebony mute which seems to keep the tone more mellow and full bodied then a metal one though it doesn’t reduce the decibels quite as much, I would say that unless you are both in the same room, it would lower it enough anyway and sounds far richer then the metal one even though it is fussier to position for an even distribution of sound.

Saxwhistle is in good company (although wrong). I once heard the leader of one of my orchestras remark that putting a mute on made his fiddle play flat (eyebrows raised among his listeners). I think what is happening is that the mute cuts out most of the upper harmonics and this fools the ear into thinking the pitch of the instrument has dropped. Can’t say I’ve noticed the phenomenon myself, but then at my age I’m probably not hearing those high harmonics very much anyway.

An old-fashioned forked clothes peg carefully pushed on to the bridge horizontally from the bass side works well (but I don’t mute when practising - the neighbours make enough noise themselves). Those ebony ones that you put on the top of the bridge make me paranoid - imagine the damage if you forgot it was on there and banged down the lid of the case.

I’ve always used a spring-type clothes pin, mostly because they are readily available and cost almost nothing. (Yeah, Scots-Irish. Does it show?)
Besides, if it really bothers your brother all that much, you could always get a mike and an amp…..