Note lengths in ABC

Note lengths in ABC

I wanted to submit a tune in 4/4 with the default note length of 1/16 instead of 1/8. However, I could not find any tune types in the list that had 1/16 as their default note length.
The reason I wanted to do this is because the tune has a rhythm of a dotted eighth followed by a sixteenth, and the only way I could figure out how to do this is to have a default length of 1/16 and notate it like this: D3D
Is there a way to figure this out?

Re: Note lengths in ABC

Yes, the easiest way to do the dotted notes you want is D>D (the ">" sign will do the dotted effect). Try it out at www.concertina.net ("tune-o-tron") or other converter before you post, to make sure it’s doing what you want.

Thanks Glauber. I’ll check it out.

The de-facto documentation for ABC is:
http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/abc-draft.txt
I’m not sure if it will ever become official, but that’s the ABC language that all modern converters support. I have it in my computer so i can check it when i’m in doubt about something or other.

Here’s the portion about dotted notes:

Broken rhythms
==============

A common occurrence in traditional music is the use of a dotted or broken rhythm. For example, hornpipes, strathspeys and certain morris jigs all have dotted eighth notes followed by sixteenth notes as well as vice-versa in the case of strathspeys. To support this abc notation uses a > to mean `the previous note is
dotted, the next note halved’ and b c> means that the first note is double dotted and the second quartered and >>> means that the first note is triple dotted and the length of the second divided by eight.

Similarly for