AMAZING SESSION WITH McSherry, O’Connor, McIlduff et al

AMAZING SESSION WITH McSherry, O’Connor, McIlduff et al

Hi All,

I was trawling through you tube and discovered this beautiful sounding session, full of energy, talent and absolute joy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEgjytMGdyY

Does anyone know who the piper on the left is? Also is the guitarist, Alan Burke?

Hope you enjoy the clip as much as I did.

All the best

TC

Re: AMAZING SESSION WITH McSherry, O’Connor, McIlduff et al

Huh! There’s no eye contact. They can’t be any good…..

🙂

Try watching the clip Key Maniac!!!

Everyone was facing the same way. It must have been a performance and not a session. That may explain it.

The piper on the left is clearly the Lead Performer, as he has two pints of Guinness.

Tony Byrne on guitar driving it along!

Posted by .

this clip is form the website www.kerrywhistles.com. check it out. theres some great stuff of at first light and other groups.

its the dave williams annual tribute session by the way.

too many pipers for me…

Posted by .

The piper on Dónal’s right is Tiarnán Ó Duinchinn.

Posted by .

Where are they? Is it an antique shop? Or a photo album emporium?
Anyway not enough guitarists.

Posted by .

I just discovered this discussion - full of energy, talent and absolute joy.
amaaaazing 🙂

Great clip- thanks for sharing. There’s another on there from the same session, a set of jigs. Can anyone here ID them? I recognize the first, but here’s a really lovely multi- part one that follows it that I don’t think I’ve heard before.

Posted by .

KML is right. The guitarist moves backwards and forwards two or three times unnecessarily, and the leftmost piper also moves with the music a bit too. It’s undoubtedly a performance. Ha!

Please, what is the name of that reel that they are playing? (undoubtedly a standard everywhere except where I now live —"You mean you don’t know [insert well-known favorite]?!!!")

I seem to recall hearing Boys Of The Lough playing it many years ago, a slightly different version. I love this version, too.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I agree — great stuff, thanks for the posting, Tradchick 1.

Posted by .

The reel was the fast version of ‘The Woman of the House’ Shame they didn’t seem capable of changing to another tune instead of repeating it four times or five times.

Yeah I am sure that group of musicians isn’t capable of switching into another tune.

Posted by .

Thank you, Free Reed.

Definately the same tune, or close to the one I heard from TBOTL. Interesting differences, and they (TBOTL) were definately playing a bit slower and more methodically than McSherry and Co.

As for the "overplaying", I am not sure I mind a few extra choruses of the same reel when it is being played by such enthusiastic and adept pipers. For my part, they could beat that horse a few more times and still not get too stale for me. 😉

Thanks again.

Posted by .

Where are they? Is it an antique shop? Or a photo album emporium? ?
MaxF
It’s actually the Herschell arms in Slough, which is a bit like a ‘photo emporium crossed with an antique shop I guess …

Unseen123 - Ref your ‘tongue in cheek’ answer to my ‘tongue in cheek’ remark. I’m trying to draw attention to that often repeated question from non ITM listeners.
How come all your tunes sound the same?
Which brings me to another question.
Does playing one tune at a time turn a session into a sess ?

When the camera pans to the right you can just about hear a tenor banjo player……I guess he had to sit in the toilet out of sight (that’s SIT) as we banjo players are so often resigned to…….if only I had been a piper !!! (BTW, please see my discussion re: John Addison Pipes)

Posted by .

Murph the last jig they play on that other clip is called Helvic Head or Melvin Head. I’ve been looking for it ever since this post went up and just now in the car I realised that Donal Clancy was playing it on a cd I had ! I knew I had heard it before. Great tune. Fraid I haven’t found names for the others though