is tullamore big enough for the fleadh??

is tullamore big enough for the fleadh??

its been 10 or 12 years from i’ve been there but i didn’t think it was that big a town, i’ve said to a few about it and they say it has developed a lot……any opinions???

Re: is tullamore big enough for the fleadh??

Well there are 70 - 80 pubs in tullamore… i reckon there is planty of space for the upcoming invasion.

Has to be better than Letterkenny. Not enough pubs in which to shelter from the rain. I only hope that Sunday in Tullamore is dry so we can play outdoors, because I’d imagine that most of the pubs will be showing the football final and the TV will be king for the whole of Sunday afternoon. If you don’t like football…hard s..t
It should be one of the conditions of hosting the Fleadh that the TVs in pubs are disconnected for the duration.

Semi final.

I’m with you Free reed. I’ll be the one in the middle of the street in the rain laughing at those eejits watching the football when they could be sessioning.
I hate football.

I hope it is πŸ™‚

How many of you still go for the competitions, or are more of you going for the craic now?

I would be firmly in the latter category, if it wasn’t for the fact I am playing for two Bodhran players in the competitons..

Posted by .

No…..

EIGHTY PUBS!

Is Tullamore the local name for Dublin?

It says 30 pubs on the fleadh website

Dont mind that fleadh web site. There are DEFINITELY more than 30 pubs.
Now I admit I have been known to exagerate slightly but there are way more than 30 pubs. Maybe the web site is only including session pubs?

Anyway I just checked the golden pages and it seem that they agree with me.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/search.ds?encodedRefinement=locality1..%3d..%5eTullamore%24..%26..Tullamore&what=Public+Houses+%26+Lounge+Bars&where=County%3AOffaly&startingPageNumber=1&stageName=What+search&originalOffset=1&expandWWWSearch=false&myplaces=false&distance=50&searchType=www&activeSort=yprandom7&phoneNumberSearch=false&alphaRefineable=AN2%7CBN11%7CCN24%7CDN15%7CEN2%7CFN16%7CGN9%7CHN17%7CIN0%7CJN0%7CKN16%7CLN19%7CMN21%7CNN6%7CON8%7CPN3%7CQN0%7CRN4%7CSN7%7CTN1%7CUN0%7CVN0%7CWN6%7CXN0%7CYN0%7CZN0%7C%5B0-9%5DN0&excludeZone=false&restoSearch=false&firstMaxRank=0&residential=false&previousPath=search

Granted some of these are in small villages arount tullamore but youll see there are well over 30.

I have been wrong before though. ……AND MAN THATS A BIG LINK!!!!!

I agree that it has to be better than Letterkenny. Obviously the weather will be a big factor, and thankfully the forecast is looking promising. I’ve been looking forward to the fleadh all year and no matter what happens I’m intent on enjoying it anyway!

By the way Free Reed & Session Savage, there is nothing wrong with taking a while out from the sessions to watch one of our national games being played! Kerry v Dublin should be a good match.

Posted by .

Dont mind me saidhbh,
I’m just being bitter because Tipp are gone. I will be watching that match though… GO ON KERRY πŸ™‚

I’m still very sore after Kerry narrowly beating Monaghan so your coment has hurt me deeply Session Savage πŸ™‚

Posted by .

Oh crap! sorry, I seem to be suffering from foot in mouth today.

Oh well, you hardly expect me to support Dublin over Kerry now… come on.

πŸ˜‰

Don’t worry Session Savage, I’m not that easily offended! πŸ™‚

Just one more day to go and I’ll be playing my first few tunes in Tullamore, life is good.

Posted by .

Never mind the philosophising on whether it’s big enough or not - that question can be answered next Monday. For now just enjoy the tunes and so far we’ve been spoiled for choice. Annie Kelly’s on Monday night with lots of musicians and a great audience (mind you the younger musicians were a bit miffed when a singer launched into "Come Down the Mountain Katy Daly"!). Last night it was De BrΓΊn’s which was in full swing when I left at 1.30am and tonight someone suggested the Bridge House Hotel which has a piano in the lobby. So far nothing negative to report and the weather’s good too - don’t forget Friday around 7.00pm when an attempt is being made to stage the world’s largest session.

Session Savage - Credit where credit is due, that’s one hellua useful link. That could save me hours wandering around looking for a particular pub
Saidhbh - I am going to Tullamore to listen to a few tunes, hopefully meet old friends and to play a few tunes. To do that I am willing to pay money, rough it, get trampled by the crowd, and probably spend hours just trying to get near the town. No way am I taking time out to watch a national game, when I could sit at home and watch it in comfort…One man’s meat etc etc….Sorry.

Just had a a few reports from musicians who are in Tullamore already and it all sounds good - nice weather, lovely pubs, good Guinness, friendly publicans and great music!

Free Reed - Enjoy the Fleadh, meeting old friends is a big part of the Fleadh for me too.
I’m almost as addicted to football as I am to music so I couldn’t possibly consider not watching an All Ireland Semi Final, and to be honest I love the atmosphere there is when watching a match at the Fleadh, there’s always the opportunity for a bit of craic and slagging, and then of course another session as soon as the match is finished!

Posted by .

There’s only one thing worth watching at 3.30 on Sunday - the senior accordion competition! Everyone knows us Kerry people only go to the all-ireland final cos there’s no trad festivals on that weekend.

Jonathan πŸ™‚