Does your family attend your session?

Does your family attend your session?

My son came with me to the Greenbriar for our Monday session this evening. It was, well, a different experience for me, ordering my usual pint as well as one for my son, now 21. That aside, I enjoyed sharing this experience with him, and he got to hear his ol’ Dad call the Blackthorn Stick jig, my favorite.

He enjoys trad, and is plinking on a banjo, and I hope I can get him to learn a few tunes.

So, that got me to thinking, do you head off all alone for your session, or do you bring your spouse, S.O., or child along with you? Would that affect the craic? Just wondering…

Re: Does your family attend your session?

My girlfriend comes with me to my usual dance/busk/drink night which is the closest thing to a session I’ve got available. She plays a bit of whistle and picked up set and céilí quite well, the drinking part still illudes her for the most part. I enjoy havin her there but I do have the wild night of p*ss drunkeness occasionally when she can’t make it.

No, and that’s a good thing.

I live on the opposite side of the country from my parents, who tell me repeatedly that they’d love to hear me "perform". Being as they feel compelled to clap after every tune I practice within earshot of them, I am not terribly optimistic about my chances of conveying to them the nature of a session.

That’s the first issue.

The second is that my session involves singing. My father loves to sing. My father loves to sing loudly. My father earnestly believes that everyone *else* is singing off-key.

The third issue is that they think that all of the music I listen to (and play) sounds the same.

I’ve brought friends over to the pub before, however, and they enjoyed themselves immensely; some of them are making noises about getting involved, themselves, in the ITM scene.

I actually session with my EX-wife all the time! 😉

Pete

Oh, and my sister plays bodhran, so I session with her on occasion…

My folks have been to house sessions at my house, but they don’t really seem to be interested in the music at all.

Pete

The first time I went to a session it was following my wife, who had been invited. Since then I have been going more often that she has. A week or so back, however, we both went along and took our 7 month old daughter along. The baby loved the experience, staring intently at the musicians, and occasionally joining in. Everyone else was very kind and didn’t mind the fact that the little’un was sometimes singing off key and didn’t really have the nuances of jig rhythm on her maracas. 🙂

My SO complains that it’s not the same if I’m not there with her, if I’m working or gigging elsewhere, even though we have tunes that one of us will lead, as well as arrangements for the two of us.
No.1 Son frequently comes along, although it’s for the socialness, not the music - he keeps saying he hates folk music, but has started to include some in his taped compilations recently - I believe a wet week at Sidmouth some years ago warped him originally.

From time to time my elder teenage daughter will join our session on fiddle - excellent! My younger daughter used to join us on whistle, even from the age of 10 or 11, but she more recently has sadly developed a condition resulting in loss of use of her right arm. She tried a tabor pipe (a 3 hole whistle that can be played one-handed) for a while, and was getting the hang of it, but sort of lost interest - it was a VERY piercing sound! I made her a bowed psaltery which is fine for slow tunes, but not really a session instrument, though she has occasionally duetted with me on it. Any other suggestions for a worthwhile "one-handed" instrument would be welcome. (Yes, I’ve seen all the Youtube one-handers!)
Bye now
Keith

If you want a viable one-hand instrument, you could try harmonica. You potentially lose a little expressiveness (with hand waving wah effects), but it will even work well no-handed (in a neck rack).

Can’t believe I’m a 25 year old and publicly admitting this, but I actually got my mom into the ITM, so we go to some of the same sessions together. Not really wierd or anything. Have always played music with my parents at home and the pub where we play is laid back and family oriented to a degree, so it’s really just an extension of our house. My family is very musical, so various other members come out to listen on occasion, but they don’t play ITM per se. They still respect my need to have my own place in the scene though, so certain sessions they will sort of just back off and let me have my fun late into the night. Good times.

There is a guy who plays in Boston sessions with no hands, he has a revolving rack he attaches to his prothesis that holds harmonicas of various keys—God bless him for loving the music so much that he has kept on playing despite the adversities life has place in his way. I myself am getting pretty good with harmonica, because like robharper says, it can be played one handed, and I practice it during a long commute.
Re the original topic: My wife stopped going to sessions a year or so ago, got tired of petty bickering that went on in the background, and never really liked the bar thing. We still play in a band together, but I miss her at the sessions, as I always enjoyed her company and her playing—the nature of our relationship does not produce the urge for me to "escape" her presence.

My oul’fella comes along to the tuesday session. He’s a bit mad, but sure there’s nothing wrong with that, he just adds character to the place…. and a really loud voice

My dad is still carting me around to sessions, but doesn’t stay there any more to listen/watch. I think he’s looking forward to when I can drive myself there and back :P
I’m of two minds on the matter, I quite like to be left playing music with everyone til the early hours, but I also like it when he does occasionally stay and listen 🙂

Posted by .

I seem to recall my ex-wife angrily saying something like "…and you should really find a woman who likes Irish music!"

…so now I do…frequently.

…and my sons aged 7 and 5 love to go with Da to session or to be at Da’s house when there’s a little musical get-together, no matter what their mother’s preference.

Thank goodness for Traditions.

Their Grandparents and Auntie love to come hear Da play too, but they live 1,500 miles away so it’s not all that often.

No. They’re sick of it.

My son (he’s 22, Jason G) comes and plays at the session when he’s free. Daughter and her SO come to listen and dance a few steps. Husband (not a player or dancer) comes to listen when the atmosphere is comfortable but won’t come to big noisy sessions.
My mom and dad don’t like ITM, which could be another discussion some day.

A couple known to me have trained up their daughters admirably. At closing time one of them always turns up, finds a nearby parking space - itself evidence of Hermione Granger-like skill, in this neck of the woods - and dutifully ferries home the sozzled sessioneers.

My son used to come along, but outgrew us, musically and intellectually.

my girlfriend plays flute, and I’ve got 3 sisters who play fiddle, whistle and bodhran. When I session, its generally with at least one of them.

The folks at my session are like family to me.

I met my SO at our local session, so we still go and play together all the time. My parents have dropped into session occasionally, but really aren’t that into the music. His parents live a good distance away but have made it to a session when they came out to visit us.

I’d rather go by myself cause then ya don’t feel like ya have to keep talking to them between tunes

My boyfriend (who is Irish but doesn’t play music of any sort) comes out occasionally because hearing the music reminds him of home. Generally we drag a group of friends and they all get hammered and I play.

My son use to go to festivals with me but got a life of his own when he grew up. My wife absolutely hates the fact that the music takes me from her but she has no desire to join in other then when I perform. So that’d be no I guess.