Ruination of ITM

Ruination of ITM

Guitars,Bouzuki and Bodhran have destroyed Irish Music.
And I dont care if the Bouziki cases are hand stitched leather.
Someone(I think it was Seamus Ennis)when asked, what is the bodhran best played with?He replied, with a feather and if
you cant find one, a stanley knife would do.
God save all Goats.

Re: Ruination of ITM

oooh… we haven’t had this discussion in at least a week.

Have you noticed that now irish music has been destroyed, the only way you can hear any is by bringing out the old LPs?

Posted by .

Listen here Goose, ITM is being destroyed all over the world as we speak. Destroyed by fiddles, banjos, flutes, mandolins, pipes, the dreaded accordion and an assortment of other animals.
Bloody wonder we’re here discussing it really, also a bit of a miracle that you can wander the world and find someone to sit down and enthusiastically belt out a few tunes with.
The greatest miracle is how The Music grows despite the attentions of mealy mouthed whingeing nagging, unhelpful opinionated fools.
Please, all such experts, please practise the following phrases.
"Your playing is really improving, try and relax a bit"
"You will have that tune spot on next time we play it"
"Would you mind if I showed you how to……………."
"Play us a tune, do it your way":
"Can I shout you a beer?"
Yes you can, I think you all should.
Peace, JOHN

A BIG absolute NO!
Great clip ss, can watch over and over…………….

Yeah, Arty is an artist.

you can download a free FLV player and go to your temporary internet folder and get the file. just change the file extension to .flv and you can watch whenever you want.

Ach, sure, the whole world is in a terrible state of chassis.

"Chassis"? What has the frame of a motor car got to do with it?

Bouzuki-a Greek/Japanese motor bike
Bouziki-A Greek salad flavoured with bouzoukis

The gut-strung harp was the ruination of Irish Traditional Music.

Bouzouki - a long-necked instrument played in parts of Greece, a combination of the neck of a satz, and the body of a mandola.
Irish bouzouki - a long-necked, flat-backed, octave mandolin.
Of course the whole world is in a state of chassis, we’ve all been framed !

Guitars, bouzoukis, bodhrans- when played well, gives the music substance-bass, rhythms, harmonies etc, the problem with me is too many bad guitarists, bouzouki-ists and bodhran players, or should i say, too many people OWN bodhrans

Oooo…another lame wind-up? Are we all supposed to get upset about this or something?

"…the neck of a satz…"

That sounds a bit…. er…. Freudian. You probably meant a *saz*.

Oh Goodie - another thread attacking bodhrans, guitars, and bouzoukis… (YAWN) ZZZZzzzzzzzz.

Here, let me help out Gander in the Pratie Hole here, er, Goose in the Nettles, sorry.

I think what he/she means is:

"Don’t you hate these lazy chuckleheaded backers who play these chord instruments? Strumming away on chords for hours on end is only one marginal step up from a bodhran-wacking baboon. LEARN THE TUNE ya effers. Who the heck ever said the tune needs yabos strumming and wacking away NOT playing the tune?!?!?"

Right? No? Am I reading too much into in? I feel like that sometimes too when I’m channeling my soon-to-be grumpy old man self.

…but it passes, much like gas. Ah, that’s better…OK lads, jiggety-jiggety in D, 1, 2, 3…strum strum strum, wack wack wack…

"The world’s in a state of chassis and so’s me Buttercrust van."

Who dares to admit they’re old enough to remember that one?

Posted by .

Of course, the original’s a lot older - Sean O’Casey, wasn’t it?

Posted by .

gooseinthenettles, How would you know?

Just checking in and … What fresh hell is this?!

Apologies to Dorothy Parker.

Nah, Bob, it’s not fresh. It’s the same ol’ stale hell we’ve seen before. No accordions this time though. 😉

LOL I love that clip of David Russell playing the Bucks all trilly and arppegiated. Only thing better is an adjacent clip of the Hughes band playing the same—and say, isn’t that George Clooney on fiddle?!
🙂

Posted .

I suppose it could be worse. I play in an acoustic session where the leader fancies himself a rock drummer. He will play soft & mellow just to trick us & then, oh well … let’s just say it gets hard to hear some of the other instruments.
My take on the ruination of Irish anything is that it’s an on going process. Irish tradition creates something wonderful, then tears it apart, then tries to pick up the pieces again. & so on. This thread (with beating things & all) got me thinking about the use of tally sticks in Ireland.
Got this bit from a Google. Tally sticks are mentioned in the paragraph beginning; After the Famine …
http://weeklywire.com/ww/06-08-98/boston_books_1.html
As I said things could be worse.
Cheers!

Posted by .

I always thought Tom Morrow looked like George Clooney. That Hughes band guy is more of the Syriana version.

LOL, yep, Kennedy, that’s the role I was thinking of.

Posted .

Ah the poor music… how will it ever survive?

i love eoin o’neill. and i love cyril.

i hope poor music doesn’t survive.

it deserves to die, a long, and painful, death.

ITM is alive and well and preserved in various glass cases in Monkstown and elsewhere. It consists of unaccompanied pipes, harp and the odd sean-nós song, sparingly accompanied on the bones. All other instruments are impostors.

IRISH MUSIC is (like most art forms) a living tradition. As such it is educated and enhanced by modern instrumentation, technology and influences.

Does that mean we have to accept drum machines and synthesisers to maintain Irish Music as a Living Tradition? I don’t think so and I’d strongly advise anyone who thinks it does to visit Monkstown on any session night and see the young (and not so young) players enthusiastically making their music on the whole range of instruments normally associated with trad (yes it does include pipes and harp). It’s this total immersion by each generation in the music of the past that will keep the tradition alive and not some new fangled electronic device or fusion with an exotic overseas cultural tradition. In fact this thread is very timely as the great piper, Leo Rowsome is being commemorated in Monkstown on Friday and Saturday of this weekend so why not come down and enjoy some great trad - sessions on Friday and Saturday nights plus a mid-day one on Saturday around 2.00pm. There’s also a free concert on Saturday night in the main hall.

Peter, who is the guy playing what looks like an English concertina and harmonica at the same time ?

Mick Kinsella

Posted .

Irish Music has not been destroyed.
There are various types of Irish music to suit all tastes.
Most peoples tastes change with age and maturity.
Ringo, Alec, Arty, Steve, et al have made significant contributions to irish music.

Very often those who talk about how bad others are, are not very good themselves. Some backers and bodhran players are very good. Some tune players are very good.

The only thing that has a negative effect on Irish music is the exaggerated ego. Having said that - in some cases it has done great things and given us great music to listen to in admiration and amazement.

Some ‘not great’ musicians are very nice people and put their heart into the music. Sometimes it is nicer to play with these people than the self-appointed experts.

Music is not about the expression of anger or the creation of it.

That anger comes from within ourselves not from the ‘bad players’ of music or the changes that are happening in music around us.

A famous musician once said ‘if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing’. He is a very wise man and a guitar player par excellence.

Posted .

there would be a lot less people inerested in trad if there were no guitars, bodhrans etc, Planxty, Bothy Band, De Danann-revived ITM -think of it, the guitars and bouzoukis were essential, those idiots who oppose chordal and rhythmic involvement in ITM obviously have no clue in the direction in which the music is evolving in.

Man, SWFL Fiddler has it right !!! Some people should take
a serious look a what they are bringing to ( read contributing ?) to the session. It’s NOT the instrument as much as the
player of it. My thing is with the guitar player who can only
employ the three chord/rel min. with the big bang strum
(and erroneously at that !) Like Iris says: LEARN the
MELODY—marvellous things will start to happen.—
But then, if they have to be told that—they probably should
be bowling or playing bridge that night instead.

Posted by .