slow down, i’m not hearing fast enough

slow down, i’m not hearing fast enough

i am having to rebuild my pc after a failure, and maybe this is a chance to improve my "slow down, at pitch" capability.

i was using audacity, but it was a bit unwieldy, took up a lot of room in my hard drive, and had way more tricks than i used.

what i hope to do is: take a bit of a tune mp3, slow it down while keeping the pitch and listenable sound quality, and play it over and over while i try to get it on my fiddle.

i searched the site here, and didn’t find any advice newer than 2005. that might be dinosaur age for computer stuff? i tried a couple of years ago to get amazing slowdowner, but it wouldn’t load for me, the person who helped me then set me up with audacity, and since then i’ve heard of something called slow gold. i’m not real good at finding and installing this kind of stuff, but i sure am motivated, since it helped me a lot in learning some nice things.

anybody willing to advise?

thanks,

FM

Re: slow down, i’m not hearing fast enough

Try with BestPractice! I’ve tried several software and for me it’s the best. Just google it and it should show.

Plain ol’ Windows Media Player can do it (with no extra software needed).

Just play an MP3 or WMA file and go to the Now Playing tab. There should be a little "down arrow" button that opens a menu. One of the options is "Enhancements" and there’s an option to "Show Enhancements"

Click that and the enhancements will appear at the bottom of the Now Playing window. One of the enhancements is Play "Speed Settings" — works fine for me!

Both Windows Media Player and Quicktime Player are free ways to do it (the latest versions of each). Search the site for "Windows Media Player" or "Quicktime", and you’ll find the specifics of how to do it.

Pete

Winamp can do it with an ad-on which will also allow you to adjust pitch by semitones, which is useful for learning tunes from flat or sharp recordings, or in different keys.

Is that the pacemaker add-on? Because it causes the latest version of winamp to crash if used.

Posted by .

I personally like Audacity. It is kind of hoggy, but most "wav" editors will be. I found its pitch/key/tempo changes to be MOST acceptable for figuring out "hard parts" in melodies and very usefull for 16th note accordion arpeggios. Its open source and free for Windows, Mac, and Linux….

ok, great—lots of good leads to follow and compare. if i have any amazing bursts of brilliance as i compare all these, i’ll slow them down to text speed and post them here. thanks all.

kj

the best i have found is the amazing slow downer. best practice works, as well as windows media player, but only to a point. if you want to get only the notes, use best practice and windows media.

if you want to get the feel of the music, use the amazing slow downer. when it slows down, the sound quality is never choppy and always clear, so you can get the feel, the "neagh" behind the music. i find i can learn tunes with the other programs, but with the amazing slow downer, you can learn how to *play*.

this is because as far as i remember, the other two programs i listed (which are the only i have tried), chop up the music and reassemble it with spaces. the amazing slow downer actually stretches it (at pitch), so that you can catch the subtle nuances, such as changing bow pressure, that escape your ear directly when listening at full speed. all of a sudden, that elusive rhythm and flow of the music becomes very clear.

in addition to learning tunes with the slow downer, every couple months i will spend some time and practice the tunes that are now part of my everyday repertoire with the recordings i learned them at, at a pace much slower than i would play them. this enhances my playing a lot. i do not think you could work on your music this way with the free options.

of course, the other option is to listen to so much irish traditional music that you dont need a slow downer because your brain does it for you!

Posted by .

daiv, for sure my brain is slowing down, but not in the useful fashion you describe! kidding aside, with tunes i have really listened to a lot and a lot and a lot it’s not too hard to get all the notes. or so i think…it really is amazing all that goes into some of the fast bits when you hear them slow.

I agree with daiv, The Amazing Slow Downer is brilliant.