looking for a tune named something like ‘franks reel’

looking for a tune named something like ‘franks reel’

gday, like the title says.
mabee has other names or i have the spelling wrong?
cheers!
evan.

Posted by .

Re: looking for a tune named something like ‘franks reel’

Very popular in Southern California, the name "Frank’s Reel" is because Frank Simpson plays it all the time. I believe the original author was John McCusker. I don’t have the ABC, or know where you can get it, but I do have the sheet music (a friend locally wrote it out). It is in the key of A. If you like, I can scan in the sheet music and send it to you, send me email if you wish
—Eliot

Posted by .

As you live in Melbourne, ev, I’m not sure if the tune you are looking for is the one Eliot is suggesting — though Frank Simpson is an excellent whistle player and his fame and name may have spread to Oz. There is a tune called "Sean Frank" which, as far as I remember, is basically the tune I call "Sporting Moll". You might care to check arhives under both those names and see what you come up with

I submitted this tune to the session in April last year, but to find it you need to put in the apostrophe ( ie Frank’s )
It was written by John McCusker for his friend Francis MacDonald, who he played with in his early musical career in ‘Parcel of Rogues’
I don’t know if this is the same tune as the one ‘Frank Simpson plays, but it is a cracking good tune, becoming popular at many sessions

Posted by .

Frank’s Reel, written by John McCusker is on the Solas CD - Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers, track 5. I am told this is a popular session tune in Melbourne - is the one you are thinking of?
Jeanette

hi all,
thanks for the tunes, i have one that i think matches, tho
ill have to wait till the session on sundee to find out!
thanks again for your efforts,
ev.

Posted by .

Hey, Im a shetland fiddler living in edinburgh and heard a cracking reel by John McCusker called Shake a Leg and was wondering if anyone had the music? could you please email it to me R.W.Muir@sms.ed.ac.uk

Posted by .

Re: ‘Franks reel’

Hallo,
I was looking for the music for five tunes from the Ian Powrie video (mono LH sound):

Alex McArthur of Biggar,
Provost of Forganderry,
Jimmy’s Aye Diggin
Billy Thom’s Reel
The Rural jig

i’ve downloaded the Franks - very good indeed, but where can I get the others?

James D.