Ah, the bygone days of yesteryear…

Ah, the bygone days of yesteryear…

Heh heh heh, anyone seen this? Sort of amusing. The fiddler’s bow (which, unfortunately, you can only see for a few seconds) intrigues me. Anyone here use a bow like this? It seems strange to me that almost the whole video is of the little wooden dancing dudes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlpVa-9RUk

Posted by .

Re: Ah, the bygone days of yesteryear…

After the set, he was fixin to hunt some possom and squirrel with it down in the holler.

It looks like he’s playing a fiddle with a saw - as opposed to playing a saw with a fiddle bow. Turnabout is fair play, I guess! 😉

The little wooden dancers are pretty spastic, but they actually have moments of looking rather like step dancers doing a hornpipe…

Pete

I have seen a bow like that before. Can’t remember when, now. I would guess it must be home-made. Do you think he used horse-hair? ‘Cos that almost looks like string …

The little wooden dolls are jig dolls - fairly widespread in the English tradition at least. A good operator can really make the doll look as if it is stepdancing.

Bows like this are used in various cultures on bowed string instruments - an obvious development from archery bows/a cheap way of getting something that will function.

Posted by .

Interesting Ramiro. Doesn’t a bowed psaltry use some sort of bog old bow too?

benhall.1 - I wondered what he used too. Whatever it is, it’s all tied up in a big messy knot at the top end of his bow. It does look like string or something.

Posted by .

The Other Person in The House has listened to this and pointed out that the fiddler is playing 3 notes at once (triple stopping?) and this is made possible by the shape of the bow.

Posted by .

I like the second clip, Ramiro - I couldn’t get the first to load (or I’m being impatient). Might be related to the Rebec (but sounds a lot better!). The bowed psaltery is actually a relatively modern instrument (appearing around the 1900s I think) based on the early versions with plucked strings, and rearranged to make them bow-able (if that’s a word).

It may be the same thing, as the wikipedia page for Rebec shows
a spanish girl playing what we call Rabel.
Anyway, as the popular instrument it is, it’s built in a lot of forms.
Speaking just on spanish rabels their top can be made of wood, goat skin or tin plate, and they can have one, two or three strings with different tunings.