Har Har! Avast me hearties!

Har Har! Avast me hearties!

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. How will ye be celebratin’ the holiday? Anyone know some piratety tunes to play to celebrate the day with?
Here is a pciture of me parrot.
Clyde, a 3 year-old Senegal Parrot.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/celtic_lass1/Pets/Birds/Fowl004.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/celtic_lass1/Pets/Birds/Fowl005.jpg

Here is a link to learn more about the holiday.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
Yeah, it’s silly. But it sure is fun! 🙂

Sara

Re: Har Har! Avast me hearties!

Right on! "AARRGGH!!!" Indeed!

I’m down here on the Gulf Coast of Florida, Buccaneer Country! Many a hidden cove in which to lay in wait for Spanish Galleons filled with gold…GOLD I SAY! HA HA HA!!!

Whoops, sorry, got a little carried away there.

Let us not forget a great Irish ‘pirate’, though we know her better as “The Sea Queen of Connaught”:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O’Malley

…and I suppose we could play "Out In the Ocean" on Talk Like A Pirate Day, eh?

https://thesession.org/tunes/108

It really should be called "talk like Robert Newton day". Robert Newton was a British actor active in the 1940’s and 1950’s. Raised in Cornwall, he had the distinctive speech of southwestern England. He can be heard doing Shakespeare in his typical voice on the movie "Henry V" (if I have my Henrys right). He was cast to play Long John Silver in Disney’s "Treasure Island" and ever since Newton’s voice and accent has defined what a pirate should sound like in the public imagination.
It’s always been common to depict sailors speaking in English West Country or Cornish accents due to the presence of ports like Bristol and Plymouth and the strong nautical tradition in that area.

Ahoy there Sara, yer a fine wench for minding us swabs of what day be today. Methinks you would be best suited changing your handle to ‘Scurvy Lass’, at least fer the day, yarr!

I’ve been trying to get my students to talk like pirates all day with varying degrees of co-operation, the scurvy knaves.

Q.
What do you learn in pirate school?

A.
The three aaaarrs!

……………….Coat!

Bristol’s "Gypsy’s Kiss" band recorded the background music for Vic Reeve’s recent 6-part series on ITV about West Country pirates. They used authentic 17/18th c music (no vocals). Watch out for Jo Day’s fiddle playing in the closing credits. More details on http://www.gypsyskiss.co.uk/page_1182417267734.html
I understand the series is going worldwide on the History Channel.

I think we should play "The Trumpet Hornpipe." Then talk about the urban legends associated with Captain Pugwash.

Posted by .

Oh, and as far as tunes appropriate for the day, the only one that I can think of that I play would be this one: https://thesession.org/tunes/4689

Lots of discussion about it in the comments tab.

I think I’ll have to make sure we play it at the session tonight! Oh… err… YARR!

Pete

Reverend, ye scurvy bilge rat, ye mean ye can’t play Ships in Full Sail?! Aaaaarrrrggghhh!

Just be careful when you shout

"Avast behind!"

Q: What’s a pirate’s favorite animal?

A: ARRRRdvARRRRK!

Q: What’s a pirate’s favorite cheese?

A: CheddAARRRRRR!

Q: What’s a pirate’s favorite pattern for his socks and sweaters?

A: ARRRRgyle!

Q: What’s a pirate’s favorite form of transportation?

A: A ship, ya bliddy fool.

Posted .

On Talk Like a Pirate Day, we always sing the Pirate version of the Alphabet Song:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G,

H - I - J - K - LMNO

ARRRRRRRR!

Posted .

And Murphy gives us a fine rendition of Barret’s Privateers….

Posted .

Q: What do you charge a pirate for ear piercing for those big loop ear rings?
A: A buck an ear.

YARR, I had fergotten Ships Be Sailin’

Now I have a set to play this fine evenin’.

And Reverend, if ye don’t play a blasted set of hornpipes tonight, we’ll be sendin’ ye out to walk the plank after the session!

Thanks for the suggestion of a name change Reverend! Me thinks it’s very appropriate. 😛
Cool tune suggestions guys! And thanks for the links. 🙂

Sara

Avast with the lubberly talk there, and leave the language of the sea to the sailors! A bunch of pantywaist musicians, pretending to be sea dogs! What is the world coming to?

Aye tis a fine day fer us pirate folk. Capt’n Slappy and Ol’ Chumbucket did a fine thing in coming up with Talk Like a Pirate Day. If’in yea want to listen to some fine pirate music with a couple of ITM songs thrown in (Hills of Connermara & Parting Glass) check out me band’s CD Down Among the Deamen

http://cdbaby.com/cd/ponewprovidence

Shameless self promotion I say but what can I say PIRATE!

Happy Talk likes a Pirate Day te you all!

Arrrr!

And why can’t the pirate crew have a game of cards ?
Because the captain’s standing on the deck !
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr !

<<Let us not forget a great Irish ‘pirate’, though we know her better as “The Sea Queen of Connaught”:>>

Let’s also not forget one of the fiercest woman pirates of all time, Anne Bonney was Irish. It took 6 men to subdue her when she was captured and they didn’t know she was a woman at the time! There’s a tune that even seems to fit her

https://thesession.org/tunes/4316

BTW the title of the above mentioned CD is Down Among the Deadmen….. PIRATE!

Aye, kennedy, a set of hornpipes be Arrpropriate indeed.

And maybe the Piparr’s Disparr, yarr…

Pete

Pace Richard D Cook, but it should probably be called ‘talk like Tony Hancock day’ as the lad from Railway Cuttings, East Cheam was still performing his Robert Newton impressions on stage (and occasionally on TV and radio) well into the mid-1960s and long after most people had forgotten who Robert Newton was.

As for buccaneer jokes, all are topped by the question regarding Davy Crockett’s ears. ‘How many did he have?’ ‘Three - a left ear, a right ear and a wild front ear!’ Boom-boom.

Posted by .

Arrrrrrrrrr we there yet?

Talk Like A Pirate Day might be difficult to stage down here in the West Country- no different from any other day, innit- ooh aar…

And of course we can all practice the Pirate Alphabet, which is easy because it only has nine letters.

Arrrrr,

Ayyyy,

and the other seven are Cs.

*runs*

Any ideas for Pirate Day in Switzerland?

Posted by .

Well, the "Gravel Walk" reel’s full name is the "Gravel Walk to Grania", which folklore considers the tomb of Grace O’Malley. It’s actually a neolithic tomb, but it’s a pretty story.

T.J.
http://www.cdbaby.com/hullksiazek

Where’s yer bucaneers?
Either side of me buckin’ ‘ead!

Posted by .

We pillage, we plunder we rifle and loot
Drink up me hearties, yo ho
We kidnap and ravage and don’t give a hoot
Drink up me hearties, yo ho

!!

erm. excuse me scurrrvey lass and assorted uncouth salty, chaps. can anyone give me the concise meaning of "avast".

"Avast" - my copy of Webster’s New International Dictionary tells me that it is a nautical imperative command meaning cease; stop; stay, as in "Avast heaving!" Origin unknown.

Reenactor wrote ‘Well, the "Gravel Walk" reel’s full name is the "Gravel Walk to Grania", which folklore considers the tomb of Grace O’Malley. It’s actually a neolithic tomb, but it’s a pretty story.’

I’m not sure this reference to Granuaille/Grania is true at all. According to Jackie Small’s notes to the Mickey Doherty double-cassette collection (when will CBÉ get around to releasing this on CD?), ‘The Gravel Walks’ refers to ‘a remote glen between Glencolmcille and Ardara’. Indeed there is a back lane heading south from Maghera on the coast west of Ardara known as ‘The Grannie Pass’ and it’s more than likely that the Dohertys would have tramped it on their way from the Highlands to Glencolmcille.

Posted by .

Alas, the holiday be over now for another whole year. I hope you all had a fun time! 🙂

Sara

When you’re ill one day stretches into several ~ AR, Ar, arrrrr!!!

Oh jeez, I just ‘membered, maybe it’s cuz I be in the West eejiteree? I’m doomed to a life of Arsin’ about… 🙁 ~ 😉

"eejiteree" ~ I dropped the o and Jeremy’s word filter took over ~
"West Counteree"

What’s an eejiteria? ~ A hospital for pirates with a speech impediment, no? They can’t say "Ar" for "Ee" yuh eejit…

Come on, I told yuh I was ill… 😏

Thanks for the explanation Mr. Hound.
That would mean at the pirate traffic lights , Green for go… and Red for Avast.

What about Diana Ross and The Sea Premes

Avast in the name of love……..
Bee — fore ye break my hearties ———

Think it oe-oev—-aaarrrrrrr

Don’t know what ‘avast’ means, chuneboi slim?
Your homework is the first seven volumes of Patrick O’Brian.

"Now class, complete the formula for the area of the circle: pi ??? squared? "
" LongJohn, this should be easy for you."

The best Aaaarrrr joke yet ayedbi. Gold!!!
I just looked up Patrick O’Brian old strings. very interesting
AAaarrr!!!!

West Eejiteree - love it 🙂 Who says computers can’t be creative?

When you’re ill one day stretches into several ~ AR, Ar, arrrrr!!!

# Posted on September 21st 2007 >>

For meself everyday is Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Arrrgh!

Yes indeed read Patrick O Brian! His Aubrey/Maturin novels (all twenty of them) are fantastic. A lot of people seem to be wary of them because of the jumbled movie "Master And Commander".
I really don’t understand why they just didn’t take the first novel and make a movie of that- the great opening scene where Aubrey and Maturin first meet (at a concert, Maturin becoming increasingly irriated over Aubrey loudly slapping his thigh not-quite-in-time with the music).
Instead they took bits from all twenty novels and mixed them up piecemeal.
In Las Vegas they have these big plexiglass booths with a pile of money on the bottom. A person stands inside, they close the door, and a huge fan is turned on, blowing the money wildly around the person, who has a certain time to grab as much as possible.
For the movie Master And Commander, it’s as if they tore every page out of all twenty Aubrey/Maturin novels, threw them in such a booth, turned on the fan, and had the scriptwriter grab pages as they flew about. When the fan was turned off, the scriptwriter triumphantly emerges from the booth shouting "gentlemen, we have our script!"
I have now just finished "The Golden Ocean", a novel Patrick O Brian wrote long before the Aubrey/Maturin series. It’s great. You can see where many of his ideas for the Aubrey/Maturin series got their start.
By the way, I don’t remember Robert Newton saying "arrr" in Treasure Island. What he does is do an odd laugh "Harr harr" which is probably where the "arrr" comes from.

By the way in the Patrick O Brian books the command to cease is shortened to ‘vast.
My favourite is the time the whole crew is ordered to jump up and down on one end of the ship to attempt to get it unstuck from a sand bar. Seeing that this isn’t working, an exasperated Captain Aubrey bellows out " ‘Vast Jumping!!"