Americans on this site

Americans on this site

Hey, I was just trying to figure out how many people on this site are, like me, American, because there is a rather low concentration of Trad musicians in my area.

Posted by .

Re: Americans on this site

You should try moving to Cornwall! See that map…

Well, there’s at least one, me. And speaking of low concentrations I live in the mountains of northeast Arkansas, I am pretty sure that I know everyone that plays ITM with in an hours drive of my house and I can almost count them on one hand.

Where are you from akoz? You might consider putting more info in your bio, just so people know a little about you, especially if you’re looking for musicians near you! 🙂

I’m from Wyoming. I’m not certain, of course, but I might be willing to bet that we have a fair fewer in my area (like ONE… me). Okay, I’ve brought a *few* over to the light side, but not many.

Posted by .

Me too. I live in VA.

Well, I am from Michigan, and Marty, and I am trying to get local violinists to come over to the ‘light side (I fiddle).

Posted by .

I’m an American, I live in Arkansas.

Hey Fellenbaum, I live in Little Rock. What town are you in or near?

I’m too an American from the state of Maine.

Sara

In a town, Ha!
My mailing address is Pettigrew, but that is half an hour (and 7 miles of dirt road) away. The nearest town of any size is Fayetteville, about 50 miles to the west.

Hi akoz. I live in SE Michigan. There are a few from around the state on here, actually.

I’m an American, and I was lucky enough to be introduced to this music at an early age by my grandparents. However, I am always curious to know how people not born into the tradition come about discovering this wonderful music. Needless to say, if you are born in America and want to play this stuff, you have to actively seek it out - and many times it can be hard to find. Another one of many reasons I am thankful for this web-site and it’s many connections.

Well, you said northeastern Arkansas, so included "near" as well as "in" 🙂 Beautiful part of the state, I love the Ozarks.

akoz, try clicking the Members tab, and put "Michigan" in the search bar. You might find some other players in your area.

I’m American too, and came to it through participating in an open band for contra dancing, that played fiddle tunes from many traditions. For whatever reason, the Irish music called me more than the others- so here I am.

And Jusa Nutter Eejit, you’re just down the freeway a couple hours from me I think….. I’m in Tucson

There are quite a few sessions in the Washington dc area plus Baltimore too. We’ve got a bunch of dance schools too. Depends on where you live.

Danville, California, about 45 miles east of San Francisco.

I’m an American, and I found this music by computer. No, really. Some years ago I was working for a big corporation, and looking for an acoustic rock band to play with. The company had online discussion boards for various hobbies, I posted a request, and ended up in a band that played Pogues songs and few trad tunes. So I tried a couple of local sessions—just to soak up some authenticity, you understand—and my fate was sealed.

I’m from Boston…so I guess there’s alot more music here than in other areas! Still, sometimes it’s hard to find people to play with consistently, for me. Noone else in my family plays an instrument, or knew anything about Irish music before I started playing; I basically found an old tin whistle one day when I was about 12, found I could play songs (didn’t know any tunes!) on it, and went from there. Had no idea what a jig or reel was, never heard of a fleadh until about 3 years ago, and certainly knew virtually none of the ‘big names’ of the music! It makes a huge difference, I think, whether or not your family is involved in Irish music, because then you’re exposed to it from the time you’re little. I’ve caught up—but lots of kids my age have been playing since they were 8 or so. The music’s strong here in America though—you just need to work a bit harder to find it out!

Kansas City, Missouri. We routinely have 10-14 musicians at our session - not a ton, but enough to keep us going. We probably have quadruple that (or more) lurking in the background.

Berkeley, California; but my session’s are in San Francisco.

Also from Wyoming, but the other side of the state. I’ve been lucky enough to be in Laramie the last four years, where there’s a pretty active bunch of us, at a variety of levels, which is kinda fun, playing Irish music. Tried to find some people in Cheyenne one summer to jam, and only found bluegrass, jazz, and rock. Fun, but not trad.
Right now I’m in Cork, Ireland and loving it. There will be severe culture shock on my return home, having not only sessions available every night, but even having to pick and choose due to there being more sessions than there are of me ;)
MartySmith, if you’re ever on the east side of the state, we should get together to jam. I occassionally travel west as well.

Posted by .

Gringo here from Sonoma County, California.

Posted by .

Hi akoz,

I’m from St Louis, and we have one weekly session at a music shop and a couple times a month, that continues on at a couple local pubs. We get a lot of good Irish bands coming through town and have a lot of talented musicians. The St Louis Irish Arts is a big reason for this.

It seems like there were several people at our Tionol last year from Michigan. I hope you can find some folks to play with.

Jayhawk,

Where’s your session in KC, and what night is it? I get over there every couple months.

Fort Myers/Naples Florida : we have grown into a core group of about 15 musicians, getting together at sessions in various locales, some good commercial gigs during St Paddie’s week.

Hey Gringo, I’m from Sonoma County too-Graton to be exact. Do you ever go the the third Sunday jams at the Redwood Cafe in Cotati?

Never been, didn’t even know about. Just goes to show ya 😉 I’m just down the road in Petaluma. As you know, we have an "Irish" pub in town called Finbar Devine’s. They book mostly bluegrass bands for their evening entertainment. tossers! ;^)

Posted by .

Nofrets - we have a bi-monthly session at the Gaf (Gregory & Wornall in the Waldo area- Gregory is 71st Street in case you don’t know) on the 2nd and 4th Saturday each month from 3-6 pm. On the third Sunday there is a session in Union Station at the Irish Cultural Museum (I don’t get to that one due to my schedule). I believe the Union Station session is from 2-4.

Eric

Hey, I’m from MI. there’s a pretty good amount of musicians around metro Detroit… where in the state are you from? feel free to send me an email if you want help finding music.

If you look at the players map threads of the last week, the number of players (that placed pins in the map, at least) in the US is roughly equivalent to the number of players in all of Europe… A bit more densely populated in Ireland and UK, though, of course. 🙂

Pete

Steve, I lived in Cornwall all my life until 6 years ago when I moved to Andover. You can see the Trad tumbleweeds blowing up the street here. I promise you, Cornwall ain’t that bad……….this is the only session I attend now.

Reverend, how dare you imply the population of Ireland is more dense….!!!

;^()

Posted by .

There are a few Americans in the UK, like my Significant Other. But we don’t hold anything against them.

I live in a place called by outsiders "The O.C." but by natives simply as Orange County, twixt Los Angles and San Diego.
"Greater Los Angeles" is large enough that you can "live in LA" but find that the nearest "LA session" is a nearly two hour drive away!
I’ve been going to a smallish but good session near the LA/OC border, at The Auld Dubliner in Long Beach.

All this reminds me of that Amerikan comedian thing where they address their audience thus, "Hey, is there anyone here from Oregon*?"
and anyone who is shreiks happily and enthusiastically.
I suppose it’s caused by the lack of irony and cynicism that one has to endure when one visits this part of the colonies oneself.

* only for example

I see my main man Dave chimed in with the SWFL report. Tampa’s got a monthly session, Miami’s got a monthly, Cape Coral has a weekly, Naples has a monthly and a bi-monthly, plenty of shamrocking in the swamp down here.

Southeast PA

Mary

The Front Range of Colorado (CO Springs/Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins) has more Irish music than you’d think given that Colorado isn’t really known for its Irish immigration. You could play a session there about four nights a week on average, more if you could transcend the laws of physics and be in more than one place at the same time since Sunday nights always had two or three sessions in various cities.

Well Alison, I’m from the Port Huron Area, Richmond to be more exact.

Posted by .

akoz - There’s a session in Rochester every Wednesday night, I think, and a new one starting up in Warren if that’s not too far. Check sessionite.com for more info and contact feardearg on this site.

I’m from Wyoming, too. I’m new to ITM, being taught by a former student!!
I used to be strictly "classical" having played in symphonies my whole life. While in grad school, I had the pleasure of meeting some trad players, studied improvisation a bit, world music, and "crossed over." I did "oldtime" stuff for a couple of years, while learning about that idiom.
I quit my public school music job, and am devoting my time to playing music, developing and refining my style. I no longer play in orchestras, although tend to miss playing some great music of that genre. I host a folk jam session twice a month in a back room of a music store, mostly retired guys, a variety of folk styles, mostly a gathering of folks playing songs, tunes.
I am thrilled to have my former student and her husband back in the community! They know what a session is, and how to help others learn in a separate learning "session."
They turned me on to this site….THANKS!! Learning lots

I’m from Montana, like Wyoming, it’s a distant outpost for trad. But there are some great folks playing the music here, and the session in my town is one of the friendliest going! Pat

Currently residing in Wisconsin, but I’ve only recently escaped from behind the "Orange Curtain" (Orange County, CA).

Aww, Pat, don’t sell Montana short! I think Montana may have the highest Irish heritage population per capita in the US from all the mining. I was up at the An Rí Rá festival in Butte this year, and was rather amazed with how much they consider themselves to be Irish in that town.

SilverSpear is right. We Coloradans feel a bit like we have a "fledgling" scene, but that’s compared to say, Boston, or Chicago. There is a lot of the music going on around here.

Pete

I’m in Southern California moving to La Habra Heights this weekend. I got exposed to ITM at the original Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Agoura. Though I sometimes would travel north to the one near Petaluma.

One of these days I will take my sorry ass to the Auld Dubliner in Long Beach for a session. But right now my band gets my attention.

Although from the UK I used to spend a lot of time in Fort Collins when visiting our sister company in Loveland. Back then the Irish Pub on the corner in Old Town (don’t remember the name) had about as much atmosphere as an empty dustbin (sorry, trash can). The best music ‘pubs’, though not ITM, were The Crown & Coopersmiths (ah, the chilli beer) and the Margs at the Rio ensured they were good times. I’m really sorry I don’t get there any more – it sounds like things have moved on a little.

Sean

Posted by .

I like add while not necessarily ITM there is a sea shanty sing at the Whale & Ale in San Pedro, Ca across the bay from Long Beach:

http://www.whaleandale.com/

All the crews from the tall ships in Southern Califonia attend it.

I’m an American who did not grow up with the tradition, (although I did grow up with plenty of exposure to music of different forms). I am in Oklahoma, where there is a surprisingly vibrant Irish/Celtic tratidional music community.

Any of you guys support the murderous, moronic and fascist policies of dubya? Just wondering !

Gee Colorado still tries to be dwee with its own sessions!

Why I ought order me some pumps and a dickiebow to match before i go a clubbing Irish in Fort Whatever Co!

Seriously in the ciities where it matters there is plenty of the real Mc Coy ifn you know whar to look fer it.

NewYork, Chicaga, Phili, Los Anglos ( cant help it, the disease of humor doesn’t have cure ) and OC our very own San Antonio Tx.

We have two official weekly meetings and many other undocumented events ( bit like the people down here, some do and some dont do documents … ) as well as a host of bored Oirish wannabes who will floor ya with TW tunes larnt in England at the mere mention of a pint of real ale.

Oh well I better hush or I may become the object of flying insults..

"In cities where it matters?" What a curious statement. I think it "matters" anywhere people gather to play the music.

Strayaway - I can’t comment for the rest of the members on this board, but to answer your question regarding Dubya - NO. However, to be fair, many an American has been cut off at the knees for commenting (albeit usually inappropriately) on the politics of Norn Ireland here. That is why we don’t discuss politics on the mustard board, yeh?

Don’t give out about the Colorado sessions. There are some sessions there as good as anything I’ve heard in the UK.

I don’t know what makes something "the real McCoy" or not. I have a feeling that dead horse has been beaten here a time or two.

strayaway - I do.

Rhode Island checking in.
Hey Strayaway - this site if for music discussions.
Take your venom elsewhere.

Tallahassee has a monthly.

-dogma

akoz— you can also check out detroitirish.com for Irish happenings around Michigan, or detroitima.org for Michigan’s Comhaltas branch.

There’s a good session in Ann Arbor at Conor O’Neill’s on Sunday nights.

strayaway — I don’t.

Woodland, County Yolo, California checking in. No open sessions in town, but close by in Davis there is at least one.

In due time, Dubya will be irrelevant, so let’s not go there, whadayasay?

Central North Carolina here.

Surprisingly the scene here is pretty good. Three sessions within a sunday driving distance. There are some fantastic pros who have settled in Asheville as well.

Raleigh NC here

3 sessions a week to choose from

Vancouver, Washington (across the river from Portland, Oregon)

I’m from Chicago. Lot’s of music here!

strayaway — NO. Never did. Never, ever would.

Posted by .

If any of you sessioneers live near Peoria, IL, there’s a bit of craic here in the cornfields! Check out Donnelly’s Shamrock Pub for the twice monthly sessions. Beginners and experienced are all welcomed. 🙂

Posted by .

SW North Carolina (near Asheville) — a hoppin’ place for Trad. music of all stripes, be they Irish/Scot or Appalachian old-time.

Strayaway — hell, no. Not even in "the South" is W the Dictator universally accepted.

`Nother Sonoma County, CA resident here. I live in Santa Rosa, and there are four sessions I know about in the area.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael. I know Roxanne. Performed with her many times in a theater context. Tell her Gary and Maggie say "Hi."

Posted by .

I second halfway there…let’s keep politics out of the mix; all you’ll get is a nasty pool of differing opinions, no matter which country you’re referring to. Stick to the music here, hey?

Only a few Orlando, Florida area folks in here, I think. I’m still just trying to learn the stuff…Love it; love to hate it ‘cause it’s tough.