Road Trip!

Road Trip!

These past weeks I’ve read a quite a bit posted by the London contingent and their opportunities to gather for tunes and such. I’ve got to admit that I’m green with envy. Sure, Will, Zina et al plan a great USA session for August but I must burn up some vacation hours pronto.

The basic plan involves my flying out to Salt Lake City, Scooping up my life-partner and then pointing the car towards The Music wherever it may be found. This location places us within reach of some really interesting sessions. Choices must be made and a few questions loom.

1. What protective measures should I consider for my 90 year old mandolin in a desert environment at this time of year?

2. Which are there the "must visit" sessions between Utah and Southern New England?

3. Are there any sessions where we might find ourselves unwelcome? :-/

4. What have I forgotten?

I’ve searched this site, along with others, to scope out what’s available, suitable, intriguing and possible session wise. I’ve sent out a few e-mails to those who’ve posted sessions which seem promising. I wonder if there’s a session or two yet to appear in cyber-space?

Zina’s timely discussion thread regarding instruments and the airlines answered a big question about what to expect at check-in.

I’m daily amazed by the power of this web site to bring enthusiasts of The Music together. I now ask the founts of wit and wisdom posting at thesession.org for sage advice, guidance, random thoughts, Adams or Pratchett quotes. You know, the usual fare.

Pro-active thanks & above all, Peace,

Gra5ity

Re: Road Trip!

1. What protective measures should I consider for my 90 year old mandolin in a desert environment at this time of year?

Whatsis in the case, that’s about it. Keep an eye on it. It’s pretty wet in Denver right now…

2. Which are there the "must visit" sessions between Utah and Southern New England?

Chicago, Chicago, and Chicago. And of course you’re welcome to stay a few with us here in Denver, we’ve an extra room or two, especially if I turf the cats off the spare bed. No "must visits" here but nobody’s really complained yet… :)

3. Are there any sessions where we might find ourselves unwelcome? :-/

I wouldn’t think so, unless you’re bringing a tambourine or spoons along with you. *grin*

4. What have I forgotten?

Snow. There’s a lot of it falling right now. Be careful!

Zina

Gra5ity - don’t change colour on our account. I used to play in a pub called The Green Man, but I never got to meet him. I believe he was out photosynthesising all the time.

It’s been a genuine pleasure meeting up and playing with other London-based sessioneers, and I hope they agree, and long may we continue these rendezvous’es (just invented the plural to a French verb, 2nd person plural!?!), and that the get-togethers will expand to include more SE England-and-beyond sessioneers.

May I suggest, after people have wished you well/given you appropriate directions to their sessions, etc., that you keep this thread ongoing as a diary of your session experiences… at least note down any unusual/exciting/inspiring moments. Whatever you think, but mostly about the music…up to you, of course. Wherever you can hit an internet cafe, or whatever.
What d’you think?

I agree with you about this site, and Jeremy has recently been more patient with me than I deserve (don’t even ask). Your Peace greeting is now more pertinent than ever - so the same to you!

Good luck in your travels!

Danny

Zina, Thanks for the advice and the generous offer of cat space. Denver’s relatively close and very tempting. These trips begin rather amorphously and follow the stream of consciousness. We always call or e-mail with some sort of advance notice.

One of the chaps at my local session uses one of those back-pack thingies for his guitar and suggested I try that arrangement on my mando case.

Chicago. Hmmmm.

Snow is ever the travel concern. I’m probably at my most practiced for snow-commotion after this Winter. My pard is just finishing up a season of ski patrolling and so is well aquatinted with conditions. (Think of what that’s done for my session points;-) ) You’re correct, caution is always wisest .

Thanks Danny, as always your yarns are great. Adjusting French grammer & Out photosynthesyzing! lol

Since posting my local session I’ve received e-mail from interested players and found some fresh talent showing up on Sunday nights acknowledging they’ve found us "Through THE web site." A few of the frequent posters to this site may drop by. It’s fun trying to match the usernames to the faces and instruments.

Most public libraries in the USA offer internet access free of charge. I like the Journal concept and will be happy to give it a go.

Gra5ity

Ack!

I missed Two of those ’ apostrophies. Sorry.
Truth be told: G5’s helpless without a spel czech :-

E-mail me directly and I’ll get you my phone numbers and address and stuff, G5. We’ll see you when and if you hit town! :)

zls

Have a wicked time Gra5ity I’m so jealous! I like Danny’s idea about the diary type thing. I’d be interested to know what the sessions were like and what kind of tunes you found yourself playing. Enjoy…

Please come to Santa Barbara, just for the fun of it, and play a few tunes with me. I am only 15 hours from SLC by car. 8-) From here, check out the great sessions along the Left coast.

—Eliot

Posted by .

G5, Let me know if you come by Philadelphia—tons of sessions here—my husband and I could meet up with you and your partner!

Posted by .

Yikes! My head spins with all the wonderful possibilities. My USA road map now covers the top of my dining table.

You know, Elliot, the last time we tried this sort of road trip my partner and I charted the "Admiral of the Ocean Sea" route and started out journey East from SLC through Olympia, Washington!
I did mention stream of consciousness:-)

Philadelphia would fall well into the final leg of the journey, Andee. My last visit to Dr. Franklin’s was too long ago. If it seems at all likely I’ll send e-mail.

I’ll try the diary of road sessions with confidence that everyone will let me know if, or when, it becomes tedious.

I’m expecting a call from my partner with flight details. I’ll know more by morning. Thanks, one and all.

Peace
Gra5ity

if the last time you went from slc to olympia and *then* headed east, you shouldn’t have any trouble heading east via portland this time :)

sarah

Wish you could dip south to Dallas but I believe that would take two days of great fun out of your life in driving time. Have a great trip and let me know if your thinking about the southern trail. I think that going to Chicago and Dallas are mutually exclusive events.

Mark

Gra5ity,

If you’re in the Chicago area, drop me a email, I’ve been to most of the sessions here. Not to worry about the weather, spring has sprung in Chi-town.

yobid@hotmail.com

G5, you ought to swing by Nashville, Tennessee (aka Music City). There are lots of sessions here and tons of different styles to enjoy. As a mandoline player, you should also hear some of the Bluegrass players here (I realize the risk I am running by being so blasphemous to mention that style here, but there are some truly amazing players here … =))

Have a great trip in the US!

KP

Posted by .

If you’re definitely going to Chicago, take the extra hour and come north to Milwaukee. It’s always nice to have visitors!

Gra5ity,

Sick with jealousy over your imminent road trip. You can’t guess just how much a throw-away phrase like ‘point the car north’ can make the feet itch when you’re stuck in a small town. And yeah, I second Danny’s call about keeping an on the road style diary! Please post regular Kerouac/HS Thompson style postcards of your journey into the dark heart of diddley. You guys are so lucky to be living in a big country. As for the 90 year old mandy, I lost a much less precious instrument by living through a Korean summer and winter and since then have always kept a good instrument at home and a cheap one for the road. Hope to hear more from you soon.

Herding Cats and splicing loose ends

It’s nice to come home from a 10 hour workday to find activity on this thread. Let me see if I can catch up.

Timing is everything! The e-ticket’s booked. It looks like this trip begins mid-April. That gives all parties a bit of time. Two weeks should just about cover my packing. This also gives all of you good people time for second thoughts:-)

One potential route leads South through desert country. The natural wonders must balance with the musical fun. There’s the Canyon Grande & The whacking great crater in Arizona. White Sands and such in New Mexico. I wonder if there’s a session in Roswell? Could be a grey area. :-) Anyhow, that route would make Texas do-able, Mark Cordova.

A more Northerly option could send us into Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas and Minnesota (friends and family there-abouts.) Milwaukee’s comfortably close, Trinil. The lure of Lansing, Michigan’s got me worried. Elderly Instruments and it’s bewitching showrooms proved my financial downfall the last time I went through. *sigh*

In which case Chicago’s the very place to light for a bit. I’ll be certain to contact you Robby B. Thanks,a bunch. As I type this the sounds of The Murphy Roche I.M.C. CD fills my home. Chicago…

Nashville looks promising as well. Music aside there’s a bit of ancestral interest. No worries, KP. Many styles of music hold an appeal.

With the rapid, welcome responses to this thread I hope I didn’t post it too soon. Either way the cogs and wheels are now set in motion.

Peace,
Gra5ity

Well G5, sorry to chime in so late as I’ve been out of town, & hopefully you’ve received my email but now I see there is a whole post here! As always, if you promise not to chop me up & store me in my own freezer, my guest bedroom is also open. To find where I live, look towards the 4 Corners region, then for the gaping hole right around there called Canyon de Chelly, in Arizona. (The name of the town is Chinle.) With fiddle, flute, guitar, whistle & bodhran (plus other miscellaneosities but NO F# Native American flutes or such nonsense), you could brag about hitting possibly the only seisiun on the Navajo reservation. (We also have a Best Western & the Thunderbird Lodge, if you are concerned that you & your partner might end up in my freezer, but that’s neither here nor there.)

In terms of Flagstaff, there’s not much of an ITM scene (see my session link for Just Desserts), even the only Irish pub in town Collins, has a DJ. However the llama ranch (where the Thursday night rehearsal is held) is worth a visit, I’d be more than happy to meet you out there & provide an introduction, if it comes to that, but Flag is a totally great college mountain town, 3 hours from the Grand Canyon…. Phoenix has a very good ITM scene surprisingly. I do believe the Arizona Irish Music Society has a webpage. I receive the weekly newsletter by email which details all performances & sessions, etc, which are fairly numerous, put out by George O’Brien, a lovely man, I’d be more than happy to forward the latest issue to you for an ideer of what to expect if it’s not already on the website.

Uh I need to go to bed, but hopefully I’ll hear from you should you darken our doorway heh. I hope it comes to pass! :)

Emily

2 Good sessions in Bloomington, IN. I think one’s Sunday eve. and the other’s Tuesday. Also, a fun session Thursday at 8 in Louisville, KY. Let me know if you swing this way, and I’ll get the details for you.

Happy traveling!

cat.

Thanks for the mando-caution Paul Moclair. Stories like that keep me focused on the care and feeding of my semi-vintage instrument. I guess you saw quite a change of temps and humidity in that rare climate. Can a week or so in the desert be any drier than this Winter, which refuses to release the Northeast? Using the standard "Dampit" supplemented by an old film case riddled with holes and filled w/ a moist sea sponge I got through just fine. Any other thoughts?

Emily, the webpage looks great but is more than I dare explore under the guise of "Work related research." Later, then.

Who could pass up the chance of playing the only seisiun on the Navajo reservation? For the longest time House sessions provided me the only access to exchanging tunes. This looks better all the time. As of this morning the first leg heads South from SLC. Much planning still to come. 11 days to lift off. Itinerary details to follow through e-mail.

I guess People at a traditional music website might be considered strange by some. needless to say there’s strange and then there’s STRANGE! Perhaps I deceive myself by thinking that ALL the folks who post here fall into the kinder, gentler category. I hope you won’t be disappointed to learn that my partner and I are just warped enough to get a chuckle from the whole freezer thing. A search this website yielded no session listing for Fargo:-)

Thanks cwildkey. We’ll keep the Louisville Thursday session in mind. I fear Bloomfield may cause one turn too many in our convoluted path East. BTW How did you enjoy St. Louis this weekend? Ever connect with Schy? The image of him with his sign.:-) *ooh, could be a her?*

Planning, Packing & Peace,
Gra5ity

Session your way across the USA

Today the adventure begins! With a loaf of dwarf bread wrapped up in my towel I’m good to go. The discussion thread I began about two weeks ago now resides in the purgatory of "thesession.org"… That is to say NOT on page one;-)

Things should liven up in the next couple of days so I’ll keep a narrative of notable occurrences and and quirky encounters right here in the discussions section. Comments regarding sessions will appear in the appropriate space. Look for any noteworthy Jigs, Reels, Hornpipes etc. in the austere Tunes section.

Some years back a good friend hiked across the country with the Audubon Society. Having a curious, and warped, mind he began tasting the ants (Yes, you read that correctly!) at various stops along the way. He soon detected regional differences in the flavors of these most industrious insects.

Owning no such aadrvarkian tendencies (a term I’d rather avoid) I wonder what sort of variations can be found in The Music in different locals? I’m about to find out.

Peace,
Gra5ity

The Clock is ticking in the Park City Library. Relatively uneventful trip out west. Lots of folks carrying instrument cases who compared notes and what not. One young fellow on the NYC subway whipped out a violin and launched into a piece by Vivaldi, I think, by way of busking. I swallowed the urge to call out, "Give us a reel!";-)

The nice man who checked me in at JFK thought my instrument case a little too large for carry on, (a wee bit too long.) I showed him the letter down-loaded from Zina’s site. He hailed his supervisor who looked at the letter, then my case, then at the letter and asked, "Where did you get this?" He really was just curious as he claimed this was the secont time that day he’d seen such a document. After that I han no trouble with bringing my mandolin aboard. Thanks again, Zina.

I went off to a gathering of players, local Park City, Utah talent, who really just wanted to sing songs but a few tunes got played by one fellow who knew some bluegrass and myself holding up the Irish end of things. Well, that’s a start. It was good just to play after a few days of packing frenzy and travel.