Brave Heart

Brave Heart

Hey does any one know if that theme tune off Brave Heart is uploaded on the session would be a nice slow one for the fiddle

Re: Brave Heart

"They may take our bodhrans, but they’ll never take away OUR FREEDOM!"

ahem, sorry..;-}

Close, Nutter.

It actually is "you can take our freedom, but not our bodhrans".

Get your priorities right.

Enya does Braveheart. Listen to it , memorise it, and then just play it.

What a minute - Enya did Braveheart? (snicker) Was that before or after he sacked York?

ahem - sorry again - I’ll um, just go ahead and leave now…

Has anyone seen that William Wallace statue they put up in Stirling after the movie became popular? It looks like one of those blow-up dolls you find in a XXX shop. Truly! Apparently the town commissioned it but then refused to pay for it after they saw it, so some people raised funds privately.

Not exacty music-related, I know, sorry…

Sooooo, Kennedy! Tell us about your favourite XXX shops. How do you like those……oh, sorry. Off topic.

hahaha oldstrings, wouldn’t you like to know!

"So some people raised funds privately."

Erm, would that be the Stirling Mel Gibson blow-up doll fan club?

Posted .

Awful movie.Nothing to do with the real William Wallace.

Is it the one that’s in the car park at the bottom of the Wallace Monument? That one really is truly bad

Posted .

What’s the matter Michael, someone mentioned bodhrans on a string and you managed not to say crap…..is it still to early for you?

Posted by .

funny….I didn’t type crap….I typed b+ll+cks……ze veb meister iz kontrollink uz

Posted by .

Too bad about much of the piping for the Braveheart soundtrack, too. I had walked into the theater with high hopes of hearing highlands playing, much as I did when I attended Rob Roy.

Anyone with recommendations for a good historical Scottish soundtrack, at least for pipes?

Posted by .

Everyone knows that William Wallace invented the uillean pipes in mediaeval Scotland. The word "Uillean" is a corruption of the name "William".
Anyone who tells you that they are an indigenous Irish instrument developed during the 18th and 19th centuries is lying and should be boiled alive.

Goodness!!
I had no idea — and here’s me, walking around in the darkness of sad ignorance all these years, and telling people different, to boot! Wait till my father finds out, he always loved the pipes himself, and turned me on to them.

Now, what about pastoral pipes? Were they Scottish too?

Posted by .

My wife says they were invented by Louis pastoral, a Frenchman. Also the inventor of Pastoralization, for ruining good beer.

Cheers.

Posted by .

"Pastoral"

Posted by .

Yes Rook, exactly. And of course the harp was invented by an American, one of the Marx brothers…can’t mind which one now….
In fact the only indigenous Irish instrument was invented by a Mr. Cornelius Certina of Maghbolochsarichey, Con for short.

KMC
He also invented the Cor-tina…..mine (mkII) was push/pull…put mainly push. Also fitted with drones !!

Posted by .

Sorry…KML. It must be lunchtime…….

Posted by .

……I know a few ‘melojuns’ I’d like to fill with hoi-sin as well.

Posted by .

has anyone actually answered the question…

pack o weirdos.. to think i read ye’re discussions every day..

…..it’s part of the ITMusician’s CV. If you aren’t a bit wierd you are probably just an interloper taking your music far too seriously. But I think the fact that no-one has answered the question is more indicative of the question…..what the hell has Braveheart got to do with Irish Tradtional Music. If you post something like that you probably won’t get a serious answer…not from those of us with a ‘real’ tradition that is.
That was a bit serious wasn’t it….!!!

Posted by .

OK Breandan….thanks for proving me wrong.
I guess the ITM link is that the music is played on Uillean Pipes!!!

Posted by .

JEEZUS CHRRRIST If I had a dollar for every time someone came on a trad music forum seeking the dots to some dopey film score, I’d be able to buy at least a U.S. Senator or two, maybe even a presidential candidate.

You’re barking up the wrong tree, IM. Sorry. Try a sheet music retailer.

Yep, we’ve had questions about Braveheart, Battlestar Galactica, Riverdance, Titanic, and gawd knows what else. Maybe THAT should be a "Pledge" common to us all, to learn all the film score Oirish music pieces, then play them out at our next sessions. How so very traditional.
Then again, saying that, I stuck "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" at the front end of a set of Mazurkas last night…no kidding. How traditional is that?

It was a very good film, if you like adventure genre, although nothing to do with the real William Wallace history.

And as Paddy Maloney always says "The Irish gave bag pipes to the Scots and they still haven’t got the joke"

Uillean pipes Scottish my rectum.

What, are you telling me you actually took me seriously, bliss?

Good lord, how this thread has run askew.

Re. the above:

Yes, the harp was invented by a Marx Brother. His surname was Karl. He was the funny one. Originally, they were known as the MANX Brothers, but found that less marketable in Vaudeville and so changed it. (This background material kind of makes history come alive, does it not?)

Actually, the Cor-tina is a small 2-seater tactical sports car from Japan, destined to replace/displace both the Mini and the Humvee.

Regarding "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window", I did hear of one piper who allegedly played it in competition at the Fleadh Ceol some years ago, although I cannot confirm or document this. I met the man, however, and I tend to think it quite possible. Does that make it trad?

Finally: "Maghbolochsarichey"
I suspect that must be somewhere in Wales or Australia, but I cannot find it in my atlas. Can you narrow down its locale, and are there any sessions there?

Cheers.

Posted by .

Certainly not, but some eejits did, or would.

Fair enough — a serious enquiry deserves a serious answer.
And Maghbolochsarichey was obcviously a very serious matter. 😉

Posted by .

Maghbolochsarichey is just before you get to Wells Cratcham, then you come to Ar Ratsbettagh

And, of course, Maghbolochsarichey is twinned (both culturally and congenitally) with that famous County Tipperone town Ballyfeckit, home of the world’s largest toenail sculptures museum (all year Mon-Fri except Tues, Wed and Thurs 9am-9.15am and 4.30pm-4.53pm; closed Mon and Fri; €15; Heritage Card and other cheapskate discounts not accepted).

Posted by .

why on earth would you need sheet music for a 5 note melody?

BUT WHICH FIVE NOTES ARE THEY???!!!

😉

Posted .

>has anyone actually answered the question…
pack o weirdos.. to think i read ye’re discussions every day..

Eh, this is a question? I don’t know what is being asked here:

>does any one know if that theme tune off Brave Heart is uploaded on the session would be a nice slow one for the fiddle

I answered. Told him/her to listen to it, and then play it. That’s what I do for airs, on mandolin, and apparently I am a musical moron.

or a big fat smelly Aberdeen Angus. An Oxy Moron

Posted .

Nice to know someone else plays How Much is That doggie in the Window. I play it after Margaret’s Waltz.

At least William (Wallace) was fond of the bodhran.

It was worth it to read through all these posts just to get to Key’s map - "Wells Cratchem" - that one will keep me chuckling for a week….

Benhall, what a great thought, I have been looking for Margarets waltz tonight and discovered the apostrophe is essential. As I have just done a wee arrangement of Doggie in the Window ( with bark effects) (subtly, of course), I shall give your suggested combination a try.

Otherwise
Local Hero has- Misty Mountains, and Coming Home-another film with good tunes. Barry Lyndon, had heaps of good tunes, Master and Commander has a great set at the end of it. Sorry -don’t know their names, failrly sure there were some traditional ones, and you can’t get much more traditional than the theme to TV’s old Gilligan’s Island, which was a Hebridean tune.
And (I BLUSH to admit it ) a band I was in used to play the theme music to Skippy for a dance. We "borrowed" it from a more famous bushband of the time. These days it would be the Chicken Dance. Next to that dreadful piece of music, Doggie in the Window has style. Possibly that of a poodle rather than a wolfhound however.
Always liked Ewan McColl’s song about William Wallace, Such a Parcel of Rogues in a Nation. Well OK-Wallace just gets a one word mention in it. That would be a good slow tune on fiddle and has historical context as well.
Australian places tend to be more refined in tone than the obscure Welsh ones mentioned here. Didjabringabeeralong, Wottanutta, Dunpostin, etc

Posted by .

Do what ya want with the girl, but——"leave me bodhran alone !?!"

Posted by .

Dont forget that in Cuba a certain Sen Castro invented the Fidil at Cuan na Muc

thanks i hate ye all

this is in reply to key maniac lad, and i dont know if anyone else has said it or not, but anyway

actually ‘uilleann’ is Irish Gaelic (its ‘uileann’ is scottish Gaelic) for elbow, so technically all bellows blown pipes are ‘uilleann’ pipes. and although it looks similar ‘Uilleam’ is actually Gaelic for William.

just thought I’d clear that up.

leify qegit - thanks, but don’t take all I say on here too seriously.

X:1
T:Gift of a thistle Braveheart
C:James Horner
Z:
R:Air
M:4/4
K:Bm
FA|B6 d2|c3 d/c/ B2A2|A6 B2|F4 F2A2|
B6 d2|c3 d/c/ B2A2|A2 B6-|B4 f2a2|
b4 b2a2|e4 d2e2|=g2f2 e2d2|B4 F2A2|
B6 d2|c3 d/c/ B2A2|B8-|HB8|]