Can you help???

Can you help???

So heres the deal, im loking for the lyrics to Oro, se do bheatha abhaile, ive heard it sung with a few more verses but cant find them this is all i’ve come up with,
i’ve searched the net but to no avail. Are there more verses or do you think they could’ve been made up by the singer?

If you know them in English or Irish it doesnt matter, cos i could translate the words myself.

Oro, se do bheatha abhaile,
Oro, se do bheatha abhaile,
Oro, se do bheaha abhaile,
Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

’S do bheatha, a bhean ba lanmhar,
do ba r gcreach t bheith i ngibheann,
do dhiche bhre i seilbh mirleach,
is t dolta leis na Gallaibh.

[Chorus]

T Grinne Mhaol ag teacht thar sile,
glaigh armtha li mar gharda,
Gaeil iad fin is n Gaill n Spinnigh,
is cuirfidh siad ruaig ar Ghallaibh.

[Chorus]

A bhu le R na bhFeart go bhfeiceann,
mura mbim beo ina dhiaidh ach seachtain,
Grinne Mhaol agus mle gaiscoch,
ag fgairt fin ar Ghallaibh.

Thanks a millionty x

Re: Can you help???

You want the Mudcat Cafe. This is a tune database, although someone here may know the song. I tried a quick search for your song on mudcat and found a couple of threads.

This was a song collected in the early 20th Cen in county Tyrone, published in ‘An Claidheamh Soluis’, 29/7/1911 under the title ‘Searlas Óg’, pertaining of course to Charles I.

Later reworked by Pádraig Mac Piarais and published in the form we are more familiar with today, properly titled ‘An Dord Féinne’.

The form of the song before the rewoking can be found in ‘Filíocht Ghaeilge Phádraig Mhic Phiarais’, BÁC, 1921, page 95. Any verse other than those are later add-on as valid as any verse you may wish to make up yourself.

I’m pretty sure that’ that’s about all the words.

I just realised how many spelling mistakes are above. Im so bad i never check them before i submit them sorry.

Just get it right in the first place.

I reckon that is most of the words you already have. It never seemed to be that long. I shall check in the morning, as it is my nature to be helpful, as all on this site will attest.

Thanks Bodhran Bliss, i appreciate the useful tip.