ABC woes

ABC woes

ABC…well….

I just went up the wall trying to transcribe/convert a slow air I wrote to ABC.

I used Sibelius to create a sheet for the piece some time ago. Now I tried to port it to ABC, but ABC just wouldn’t do it.

ABC is great for very simple stuff, but especially when there are triplets involved which are a bit more complex than your usual three-to-the beat stuff, it just goes awry,

You can take a look at the PDF which I created from Sibelius righ here:

http://slashcafe.com/upload/The%20Departure.zip

ABC wouldn’t have none of it. Not a single triplet phrase. I could understand if it couldn’t handle the last two half-note triplets, but a simple crotchet-plus-eight-note triplet?

On the ABC homepage over at sourceforge.net, there exists a draft for ABC 2.0, but it dates back to 2003 and has never been implemented or even become classified as ‘official’. Nice ideas. But that’s it. Ideas.

Or is there just a problem with ABCNavigator? If so, let me know, please!

*end of rant*

Posted by .

Re: ABC woes

Is this a challenge? I’m pretty sure I can render that into abc. I use abcm2ps to generate my output, so I don’t know if what I write will be ‘standard’ abc, but it should end up looking like what you have.

Well, FyfferGuy - you got the job done - and a great job at that! The PDF looks just the way it should. I can’t play it back atm, as ABCnavigator is completely overpowered by the code…

And I just contacted JP Martin, the developer of ABCnavigator, and he told me that the problem is indeed with the program, not so much with ABC.

For example, ABCnav can’t handle (3:2:2abc syntax.

Also, (3abc or (3a/b/c/ will work, but not (3a2b2c2..

Pity…

I was beginning to think that certain ABC features just wouldn’t get implemented in software packages.

Well…

Posted by .

simple crotchet-plus-eight-note triplet ~
did you insert an x?

Posted by .

With all due respect to JP ~
It is AbcNavigator 2

Posted by .

And BTW, Mario, this is a beautiful air. Thanks for sharing.
🙂

TheMuse: as JP said - it just doesn’t work with AbcNavigator 2. Hopefully one of the next versions can handle proper triplets.

FyfferGuy: So all this fussing with the ABC made some sense at last…thank you so much! 🙂

Posted by .

FyfferGuy: looking at your PDF, I noticed one little glitch in the sheet music: last line, first bar, first note: should be a crotchet, not an 8th. 😎

Posted by .

Please ask JP when the next version is planned. Thank you.

Posted by .

I already did, but he didn’t respond to that.

He said that there is a 2.0 Beta 1.15 version which fixes a few bugs and adds some new features (for example, you can now add your own tune types to the list by editing the abcnavigator.ini file), but it’s not available for download yet. 😏

Time will tell…

Posted by .