" I use a bit of tapping, I suppose it comes from the concertina" - Bobby Gardiner ……what is it?

" I use a bit of tapping, I suppose it comes from the concertina" - Bobby Gardiner ……what is it?

In the latest "Canuinti cheoil" programme on TG4 wich features the county clare style, there is an interview with the great Bobby Gardiner.

He tell about some of the ornamentations he use, and he mention something called tapping. He is about to show it, when they cut the clip and show some playing instead (lovely playing of "the wind that shakes the barley", anyway)

But what is this called tapping (when I search here all I get of info is about foot-tapping, but this is something else is’nt it?)

The clip with Gardiner is about 5-6 minutes into the programme

http://www.tg4.ie/Webt/webt.htm

Re: " I use a bit of tapping, I suppose it comes from the concertina" - Bobby Gardiner ……what is it?

A good example is at:-
ComhaltasLive #198 Segment 5 - Edel Fox.
getting tripplets by tapping.

Re: " I use a bit of tapping, I suppose it comes from the concertina" - Bobby Gardiner ……what is it?

It’s what I’ve been calling the "phantom button" because when you’re holding down a button on the left side it sounds like you’r playing a note by tapping part of the concertina on the right side where there’s no button.

Dont know about tapping but the TG4 stuff is great, recommended for any one who wants to know more about ITM.

hmmm….i personally have never pulled off the pb caper aka, slap triplet, on the accordion. bobby g. also plays melodeon, don’t know if that is more resposive….but on concertina you are playing the note on one side while tapping the other side of the instrument….don’t see how that would transfer to box, but….perhaps you could tap on the bass side while holding a treble note, but this has never worked for me…there is also "taps" in the sense of those little short notes like cuts, but they are in the bass rather than above the melody in the treble…this is also a concertina caper, mary mac & clare keville do it a lot…..

thank you all.

I am guessing here, so let me waffle a bit.

As a student - even at my advanced age - of the Concertina I have noticed that unlike the Accordion or Melodion, the keys cannot be slithered over, IOW you have to lift off completely and dip again for another note. Also, and this runs riight into what Noel Hill was talking about, sometimes it is better not to tap, but as Mrs Crotty did, shake the bellows to get the same effect when playing a series of beats on the same note.

Maybe that is correct maybe not, I hope some of the Clare crowd read this page and tell us what was meant by the remark.

I am not one of the Clare crowd but I agree concertinas, especially the ones with skinny buttons, don’t lend themselves to slithering. You can practice pushing index finger off the button with the middle finger and back again but I find it clumsy. Another way is to stamp the heel down of the leg supporting the concertina which wobbles the bellows.

well, i’m here to report that today i DID pull off the pb caper/slap triplet on the button box. and it sounds GRRRREAT! moreover, i think i have been hearing this on a few box records and wondering vaguely how the player was doing it….

unlike pb, when i used to hear this ornament (whether on box or concertina) and wonder how it was done, i did not take it for a roll and wonder where the extra note was….i’d hear it as a same-note quadruplet and wonder how the devil the person was pulling it off at fast speed. but the phrase "phantom button" is such a classic one has to use it whenever possible….

Cee, you tapped with the left hand? With the heel of your hand?

I think this is about playing,two semi quavers and two quavers In the space of three quavers ,using cross fingering,well that is what I do on the concertina,or twonotes,the first note being like a grace note,but it is the same pitch, and it sounds like Bobby Gardner.
the note is four notes of thesame pitch.Dick Miles.

Posted .

[Cee, you tapped with the left hand? With the heel of your hand?]

i didn’t try the heel. i slapped it lightly with the fingers just like on concertina, using the weight of the whole hand behind the fingers for oomph. granted, i play compact boxes. and granted, it’s problematic if you’re playing a bass button. but otherwise it worked fine, and i feel silly for not trying it that way on box as soon as i got the hang of it on concertina….i think i tried it differently on box, didn’t work, and then forget about it until the light went on from this thread…in a world where there is no free lunch, the pb caper restores faith in the free gift concept.

Cee writes: "unlike pb, when i used to hear this ornament (whether on box or concertina) and wonder how it was done, i did not take it for a roll"

I never took it for a "roll."

I just tried this, wow a Tommy Peoples triplet for the box. now i have something to learn in my retirement.

[I never took it for a "roll."]

well, here is one of those terminology pits. i can only say that, on this thread, https://thesession.org/discussions/11002#comment226741 the pb caper is discussed as a roll.

in response to the thread-starter’s opening question, "How do you concertina players do [sic] to make good rolls"?, and then describing one they were trying to do a la niall vallely hitting the same button twice, there is a pb reply describing the pb caper and stating that you were looking for another note, played by "the button that wasn’t there." i.e., a button for an extra note besides the melody note being tripleted or quadrupleted. in the terminolgy of many fiddlers & box players, the same note two or three times plus another note somewhere in the mix would make what you thought you were hearing, a half-roll, which many, including plenty of concertina teachers, do indeed call a "roll," though some picky eaters insist that a roll can only be a five-note roll. the original poster apparently thought that even a same-note ornament was a "roll." i have also heard slap triplets called slap rolls. regardless of terminology, in my case, rather than hearing an extra note and looking for the missing button, i was just trying to figure out how they were playing that same note so many times.

the reason this was easy to jump on and look up is because it is where i learned this ornament, and it is a happy memory.