fiddle strings

fiddle strings

I know this topic has probably been raised before in one way or another, but what fiddle strings do you use and how long do you keep them on before changing. I know this depends on how often you play and for how long, but it would be interesting. I play most days for at least 45 mins a day and then once a week at our session and for barn dances at least once a month. I use D’addario (sp?) helicore medium strings and I am quite pleased with them. They are not as warm sounding as the dominants I have used previously but they don’t stretch like the dominants and they fit the fine tuners. Dominants do not fit fine tuners very well, I once broke one of the fine tuners trying to prise a dominant string into it.

Posted by .

Re: fiddle strings

I just recently started using Zyex (sp?) and really like them a lot. Good response and don’t seem to be stretching at all. I switched from the helicore strings just to see the difference. Dominant strings are a bit bright on my fiddle. I use them to play classical music but the tended to be too loud for fiddle music and double stops didn’t sound right to me. I change my strings about once every 3 months or so.

Posted by .

I currently use Zyex strings on my 200-year old German fiddle. They give a strong, bright tone, and on my instrument the G and D are particularly sonorous. I

I used to use (don’t play much anymore) Pirastro steel strings and a Dominant on the E and found that my fiddle sounded fine. The Pirastros are slightly cheaper than the Dominant but dound good (except on the E).

FMF

Hi
I think I have tried almost every string known and although the dominants have a lovely earthy tone I have succumbed to D’addario Zyex. Other fiddlers I know use helicore or obligato. The Zyex are reasonably priced and last a good while. As for changing strings I have found it depends on how often you play but I find I have to change my E string before I change a set because it loses its tone and brightness much quicker than the otehr strings.

Cheers!
Terri

Posted by .