Boo!

Boo!

Happy Hallowe’en everyone! How will you all be celebrating tonight? Know any spooky tunes?

Sara

Re: Boo!

The Haunted House is a spooky tune

The Banshee

The Banshee’s Wail Over The Mangle Pit - that’s even creepier.

Spootiskerry (the name) sounds spooky and scarey!

Posted by .

In a session we are very particular about tuning because we scare.

care

Going trick or treat with me laddies!

They’ll be dressed as Superman and a Transformer, I’ll be dressed as "Dad" complete with flashlight and camera.

I hate trick or treating. When I was a kid we dressed up and went round with turnip [swede] lanterns (you couldn’t get pumpkins in my part of the country in those days), but we never knocked on people’s doors expecting "treats". It was never part of the culture. Later generations of kids adopted the American custom, but UK kids are all useless little sh1ts so they’d use it as an excuse to vandalise people’s homes and terrorise old people. Sorry, but if kids ever came to my door I’d go "trick!" and use a flamethrower on them, and then steal all their "candy" and eat it all myself.

Ah Dow, were you never young? We used to dress up in old clothes from the attic at Halloween in Dublin in the 60’s and go around the neighbours looking for sweets and doing wee songs or poems etc. And it wasn’t called Trick or Treating. So, it’s nothing new.
Mind you, I went into a shopping centre (mall) the other day and couldn’t believe all the merchandising for costumes and decorations for the house. I wish the USA would just keep its ‘culture’ to itself.
But you can ignore these things, our kids are off to a bonfire party tonight.

Posted .

I whole-heartedly concur with Dow’s sentiments in the matter. Our local newspaper provides a pull-out poster to go in the householder’s window saying that they don’t do Trick or Treat here.

Yeah, it’s the "trick" bit I have a problem with.

Actually no, it’s the whole thing. It’s the kid’s _expectation_ that they’re entitled to a present of sweets from someone whose privacy they’ve just disturbed. And the threat of something bad happening if they don’t get what they want. Some people have had serious damage done to their homes, like petrol bombs chucked through their letter boxes and stuff.

In the run-up to Halloween the local press invariably runs letters by people strongly objecting to Halloween on religious grounds (doubtlessly forgetting or ignoring the meaning of the word or the fact that there are a couple of major religious feast days at this time). Such people appear to be closely related to those who object to the Harry Potter books, or Terry Pratchett’s Diskworld series for that matter, on the grounds that those books are "anti-Christian".

I’m going to a Hallow-wine party. Ya gotta celebrate with "spirits" tonight.

Mary

That sounds very civilised! 🙂

Here, you just leave your lights off and no one knocks on your door. A sign would be a bit redundant.

Interesting views from abroad. To be honest, who gives it that much thought here? I sure didn’t. My sons are 7 and 5. All their schoolmates and cousins are going Trick or Treat. The mass media programs them about it for nearly a month now, it seems. I suppose I could be Against-the-Grain Dad and ban any all such forms of ritualized begging so that they grow up to be upstanding human beings, etc. etc.

What a complete arse stick-in-the-mud I’d be then, eh?

…and I suppose if people raise sociopaths we shouldn’t be surprised if when they reach adolescence they use the holiday as an excuse to commit vandalism and other such nonsense. However, most of us sane folk realize this is a cute and quaint little holiday for the wee ones, so that they can parade around in costume and have treats.

I’m all for it. Have those of you who object to it, no joy in your hearts, or no sense of fun or community?

Sheesh, what next, throwing rocks at buskers because your privacy has been invaded??!

Tamlin!

I got trick or treated last thursday. This little kid came up behind me as I got out the car and said very politely. "Excuse me!" Then when I turned he went boooo!!. It wasn’t remotely scary just quite funny, I didn’t think he quite understood the whole trick or treat thing. Oh well he was only little. 🙂

Normally if we get people coming round and they wont go away we throw flour at them out the window. (Only if they are older kids though the little ones are alright.) It seems to have done the trick because the now avoid our house completely!!!!!

And you don’t get your house spray-painted?

Im taken it handy might just bit a few noses off………

Posted by .

SWFL - I WISH Halloween was still marketed for kids. Any trip to a costume store these days features aisles of get-ups for adults. Apparently, it’s all a big excuse to dress like a hooker for a night. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) but perhaps they could move the Naughty Police Girl outfit away from the same aisle where my 6 year old want to pick out a transformer outfit.

Meanwhile, my church handed out thier usual "Samhain began as Devil Worship" fliers to all the kids - I read them the riot act over that load of crap.

My wife takes the kids trick-or -treating while I sit on the porch playing tunes on my banjo and handing out candy. My banjo playing is still the scariest thing in the neighborhood every year.

I bartended in a Green Tele Tubby.. costume one Halloween…
It was a blast…
I’d do it again….. It actually upset a few people…kind of like the clown thing… some like ….some do not…

Jusa Nutter, check out this article. Yes, I’m VERY thankful I have no little girls to worry about. It’s mind blowing what they are pushing on them these days!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095.html?referrer=emailarticle

But it ‘should’ be for the kids. Who are all these grown adults dressing up in costumes, and why do all these slinky outfits for the grown women become standard for the little girls too? What ever happened to the princesses and witches costumes? Mumble grumble mumble, ‘kids these days’, grumble mumble grumble.

Jump at the Sun (written by John Kirkpatrick) has got a great spooky feel to it.

Yes - SWFL - I am thankful I have three boys - Hooray for double standards!

azfiddle - Jump at the sun is a spooky tune. Say hello to my man Geordie at your next seisiun….

My wife and I made our own costumes and went to a dance party last Friday. We go every year—a roomful of friends dancing and catching up on the local gossip. Always good fun, and the band (rock and originals) has a terrific groove.

So Halloween for us is just an excuse for another party. And I’ve always made my own costumes—something of a creative outlet. This year, my orange beak was cut from a plastic orange juice jug. Fastened to a face mask of plastic and feathers (Emporer penguin, you see). Topped with a black suit jacket I sewed tails to, black pants, and size 18 (US—what’s that, about 90 European sizing?) shoes (found at a thrift shop) painted orange.

Harmless fun, if you ask me. Don’t let the begrudgers and vandals spoil a good time.

Posted .

Haloween is the only time people encourage their kids totalk to strangers and accept sweets from people they dont know…..does anyone else see anything wrong with that.

I used to dress up in a black bag with holes in it and a witches hat and we used to bob for apples and play hang the apple and it was great craic wihtout ever going outside the door (we werent allowed to beg for food off people, apparently its rude)

awh but then last year my parents told me go home to my own house!!!! i was getting to old ha ha ha ha

Last year I gave out cans of Budweiser and packs of Marlboros (Lites) to the little anklenippers. It was quite expensive but I figured, what the hey, Saint Halloween’s Day comes but once a year. And some of the parents acted ungrateful!

Quiet a few people dress up at the library where I work. One year a reader dressed up as Geoffrey Chaucer and spoke only Middle Englsih the whole day.

Me? I am sitting here in pirate garb. Big surprise!

Dress up or not dress up. Trick ot treat or not. Just have a good time and enjoy the one day a year things don’t have to be ‘normal’.

Happy Halloween!

Pirate Fiddler

We don’t "celebrate " here but not to worry I have enough nightmares in my house any way 🙂

The Guardian explained it all on Monday, by an American academic resident over here; it’s only on Halloween, no other day will do; kids up to 10 only; they ring your doorbell ( they know you do it, you have a pumpkin lantern out the front ) while their parent/guardian hovers behind; you compliment them on their costumes and give them some sweeties. There’s no tricking any more. Any misbehaving teenagers can be dealt with by the law.

For us grownups - just enjoy, and don’t be such miseries !

And it IS originally British/European, and Christian too, the Eve of All Hallows, even if it’s got mixed up with some pagan stuff.

And there’s nothing wrong with acknowledging The Dark Side, just don’t go over to it.

We placed in our front window that pull-out poster I mentioned earlier asking trick-or-treaters not to call. It worked. For the first time ever we had no trick-or-treat callers. The reason we did this was because we have our little granddaughters (2 and 3¾) staying with us and we didn’t want them disturbed – or them disturbing the callers 🙂

Pete, I always understood that, from the viewpoint of classical players (some, at any rate), playing Irish traditional music IS going over to the Dark Side.
I’m happy to be in both camps.

Well not Baroque players, Some of the pupils and lecturers at the Sibelius academy in Finland, have a go at a few old tunes.
I have the evidence!
And they are considered as being one of the top Academies in the world.

There was a Pagan Parade down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. That was cool.

We like to play Jump at the Sun. Very creepy tune. A friend of ours, upon hearing it for the first time, said "that sounds like skeletons dancing."

I always thought that about Jump at the Sun too! It sounds like skeletons dancing! Love palying that tune.

Good game at sessions - spin the bottle, then its Trick or Tune time.