Irish Pronunciation

Irish Pronunciation

To you scholars of the irish language. My Irish music ensemble is playing an Altan inspired arrangement of “Ta Mo Chleamnas A Dheanamh” which we sing with English lyrics only. I would love to introduce the song with the original title rather than “My Match It Was Made.”
Help! Im my native Texan, it would come out as: "Tah Mo
Ka-leem-nas Da-heen-ahm-ha."

How does it sound really?
Joe

Re: Irish Pronunciation

Oh, I forgot to put “yall” at the end.

Joe

TA MO KLAYNAS A YAANAV.
Try this.
The letter “A” is pronounced as in the word “CLAY” .
The M in “chleamnas” is silent .

Ach don’t give me that oul’ Southern Gaelic! ;

And they complain about the pronunciation of Welsh!

Trevor (aka Trefor)

Thanks a heap, yall. We dont got no Gaelic talkers round these parts. Sos I’d be in the dark without yall.

Thanks

Joe

I would say:
Taw mo HYL-OW-nyess a yen-nuv with that ch sound (as in loch) around the hylow sylable.

While we’re on the subject, how do you pronounce the following name: Am Breamatain Tobhain Dubh?
I know Dubh is pronounced doo…

Mark, that’s Scots Gallic, which is similar to Donegal Gaelic. so the pronunciation would be something like “um brematin toe-in doo”

Con

Thanks Con

I agree with Con

Mark Dejong…

Whaaaaaat?

Mayan similar to Gaelic?

>The way it’s written and spoken

Re: Irish Pronunciation - Mayan?

I wondered about it as well. They’ll be telling us next that that person in the Middle East whose statues keep falling down was brought up in a village in Co Sligo, is a fluent Gaelic speaker and plays a pretty meeeaan whistle.

Trevor

I’m with Conan on this one - listen to Mair

>>>While we’re on the subject, how do you pronounce the following name: Am Breamatain Tobhain Dubh?

I would say, Ahm brehmatihn tchowahn duhv

There is a fairly good pronunciation guide to Irish Gaelic in the oxford dictionary. It involves reading phonetic script, but is fairly clear. Plus, if this phonetic script is mastered, all the other songs will be a dawdle.