Jackson’s Jigs

Jackson’s Jigs

I’m trying to find out more about an Irish Piper named Walter (I think) Jackson, and the tunes he played. Apparently, from what I’ve read, he was an itinerant piper, much the same way O’Carolan was an itinerant harper.

Anybody know where I can find out about him and find copies of his tunes?

Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: Jackson’s Jigs

Ah, never mind. I’ve found them at Fiddler’s Companion.

Posted by .

Wise lad, many of them are also part of several volumes of a tutor for the pipes published in the 1800’s ~

"O’Farrell’s Pocket Companion for the Irish or Union Pipes"

If you do a search on any of the pages of "The Fiddler’s Companion" you’ll find tunes from those, including sourced from Jackson… Good luck…

Here you can find scans of O’Farrell’s here in .pdf format:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/music/index.html

The tunes look as they do in the original volumes — not reprinted, reformatted or otherwise "modernized," so you’ll have to read around the antiquated typeface and might have to interpret some of the settings. But they’re well worth it, and so are the other "goodies" Mr. Anderson has graciously offered on his site.

Jackson was, contrary to what you seem to believe, a gentleman piper from Co, Limerick. Breandan Breathnach researched and wrote about him extensively, one article can be found in ‘Breandan Breathnach : the man and his music’ including a list of tunes attributed to Jackson.

Posted .

Are you suggesting an itinerant piper therefore cant be a gentleman piper? I do hope not!

I heard he was an Anglican pastor. This doesn’t quite tie in with him being ‘itnerant’. (As to whether this ties in with his being a ‘gentleman’, I withhold judgment). Was I misinformed?

…The first places the ‘uilleann’ pipes (before they had acquired that name) were found in Ireland were probably churches, as they were used as a substitute for the organ.

Breathnach writes: Walker Jackson ‘lived in the townland of Lisduan i nthe parish of Ballingarry. His residence known as the Turret was described as being in ruins in 1826, having been struck by lightning some years previously. In the notice of his death which occurred he is described as being from Castle Jackson’ He continues to describe how the parish priest of Ballingarry described Jackson’s residence as ‘The Piper’s Castle’
We’re talking of Co. Limerick here. The castle may explain the ‘gentleman’ pre-fix I used.

Posted .

Nice additions and appreciated as always killfarboy, courtesy of the man, Breandan…

Good catch and pass gravelwalks ~ I’m glad to see that pdf’s of O’Farrell’s work are online, now to check it. It would be grand if all of them are there…

Oops, only one ‘l’ in kilfarboy… We musn’t make a murderer or the murdered with the simple slip of adding an extra ‘l’… 😉

O’Farrell ~ 1, 2, 3 & 4 ~ BRILLIANT!!!

"O’Farrell ~ 1, 2, 3 & 4 ~ BRILLIANT!!!"

…since late last year, his site has cost me a fortune in printer paper!

Everybody!

Should get out my copy and practice the Ulster Rondo.

Pat Sky reprinted these, if you want spiral binding/less printer usage. Pat cleaned up the scans as well, they’re a bit messy in spots - I got my copy from the same NYC source as Pat, before he did his reprints. Those outside of the US can take advantage of our current weak dollar, too.

Breandan included a list of all the Jackson’s tunes - and there are scads of them.

Breandan included a list of tunes attributed to Jackson but only after saying probably not more than one tenth of them were likely to be his.

Posted .