Deering Banjos

Deering Banjos

I’m new with banjos, and I’m looking for a nice 5-string, not an entry lever banjo either….and I was wondering does anyone have any comments on Deering, or Washburn banjos?

Re: Deering Banjos

The only Deering model that I would not buy is their metal-rimmed Boston. I personally feel that all Deerings are overpriced, but you can find some good deals used. Avoid Washburns if you’re not looking for entry level banjos.

What kind of music are you looking to play? Bluegrass? Olde tyme? Can you name a picker whose tone you like? That might help in narrowing the field down a little.

how nice do you want it to be? £k0.5, £k1, £k2…..£k5……?

I don’t know anything about Washburns.

Deerings make a wide range of banjos and even their entry level stuff, although very plain in appearance and relatively low priced, stands up very well on material and build quality, playability and sound quality. The higher price banjos have all this, and look good as well.

I suppose I’m biased because I play a modern Deering-built Vega, however I bought the instrument after some pretty hard comparisons with other makes, and have been well pleased with what I got. I also bought a Deering Goodtime recently and can’t put the damned thing down.

Have a quick google and you’ll find lots of info on both brands I’m sure.

Posted by .

never played one - but I hear that Gold Tone is pretty good - I have tried their 6 strings and they are really nice.

I hear that Kieran Hanrahan is playing a Deering Calico, I play a Deering Golden Classic, and to be honest it is the best banjo I have ever played. As for being over-priced I disagree, I played and recorded with a Maple Blossom before I got this one. They are well worth their money when you compare them to a Clareen or Dave Boyle.

Darren

Posted by .

Deering banjos are fine and you can often find a deal on a used one at http://www.janetdavismusic.com as Janet Davis will get trade-ins all the time. A good friend of mine has one and it is very playable, has a good bluegrass sound, and will keep its value (he got it used from JD). Look around and see if there is a used one on the web. Their quality is consistent and you should be able to use it without a problem.

Mike Keyes
http://www.banjosesions.com

I might know of a 2nd hand Deering 5 string for sale, in perfect condition with flight case…
I will get back to you Asap, but its here in Ireland….

I hear that a lot of banjo players find the Sierra model in particular to be a fantastic banjo.

The big quesion is of course how much you are willing to pay (of course that may translate into how keen you are!)

I have always found deerings (although well made) to be over priced - the Goodtime does have a nice tone though for an entry level. One word of warning - it has no truss rod and the tuners are awful. Gold Tone do some OK entry level instruments.

As for the washburn - best steer clear.

If you go to the banjo hangout website you can read a stack of reviews by other users - you may want to post the same question there or just do a search - you are not the first to ask this question ;)

http://www.banjohangout.org/

Posted by .

All depends on whether you’re into bluegrass picking or old timey. Personally, im more into the old time plunky sound. Tom Cussen makes decent 5-strings, which would be best suited for bluegrass playing.
But as far as old time goes, try guitarandbanjo.com, they have a big selection of second hand openbacks

I have a Deering Goodtime special and am very pleased with it
Gold Tone banjos also good value and well made