Ennis Trad Fest

Ennis Trad Fest

Did everyone enjoy it this year?

Had a great time. Got back to cork in a heap on tuesday.

hope you all had a good time.

what were your fav sessions/gigs etc

Re: Ennis Trad Fest

Had a great time, pity i couldn’t stay for long! ah well responsibilities and all that..
Really enjoyed a session in the railway bar.

And Ciarans

What i liked best though was the hospitality from behind the bar[s] shown to a stranger, Friendly and pleasant. thanks.

I played Sunday in "the usual place" from about 1-6, not too much "hospitality" from the barman there, but I suppose he did give me €1 off one of my cans of cider, tks chief!

Really enjoyed the festival but this was down to the brilliant music rather than the barstaff. Any barman who’s unfriendly to a stranger is in the wrong job, so I wouldn’t be singing there praises just yet, they’ve plenty to learn…………….

By hospitality i didnt mean free drinks!!! I meant genuine friendliness. Come on these are open sessions, if you gave free pints to every tom dick and harry who had a tin whistle you would’nt make much of a living. I would’nt dream of asking for a free pint in a sesh like these. I wait till its offered.

Come on jig "genuine friendliness", what does this mean? I appreciate we’re all going to have different experiences depending on which establishments we visit, it’s a big place, but your comments praising the bar owners in general just seem a bit over the top!

I’m not going to ask the bar for a free drink, have no interest in doing that, it’s completely up to their generousity and I respect that.

ok fair enough, but that was my admittedly limited experience. And i wanted to say that.
I cant speak for any of the other bars, but i know where im drinking when i go for a pint in Ennis!
It doesnt take much to treat a stranger as a human being , and i appreciate it ,seeing how it seems to be getting rarer!
I didnt mean to generalize, perhaps i didn’t make my self clear. not the first time.

Fair play to Cruise’s then - no sooner than had we the instruments out of the cases on Monday afternoon than we were offered a complimentary drink. The session was also very "real" (previous discussions refer and I’m sure Jig will know where I’m coming from!) so what more can anyone ask for?

What more can you ask for - Well the last time i was in cruise,s it would have being a control on the heat from the fire the poor people playing in the session were dying from the heat and i had to go over and open the door and stand with my foot behind it to keep it open and a big smile from the session people .Just a bit cheesed off as i could not make the Ennis festival due to work but did make the willy clancy early in the year .Hope you all had a great time

LOL..

Afrocelt how about the free toasties on Sat.

Posted by .

Half a triangle each

Posted by .

Hey Saint, I didn’t get any of them but I do vaguely remember them being produced, fair play! We made a few sandwiches and a flask of tea before we left Cork and ate them on one of the flyovers outside Limerick, set us up for the weekend :p

Bannerman, i often prefer a festival the days after its ‘finished’ its all a bit more relaxed. Folk have made their money , the hordes have gone and the players are well warmed up. Also musos have met up with new friends/players , and sometimes the most amazing energy can be found .
Come on saint at least you got a toasty! or a bite!πŸ™‚

Couldn’t agree with you more Jig. The Mondays at Fleadh na hΓ‰ireann and Fleadh Nua are always the magic bits for me.

Is the traffic still horrible going from Limerick to Ennis?

Yes but you can get around it on the new bypass and come in from the north.

:o where were the toasties?!

I was in a few great sessions.. but I don’t really remember where they were.. played for a good 8 hours on friday, more on saturday, same again on sunday.. Ciarans was great on Sunday morning (i think), three of us started playing before the official sessioners started.

Where was the best Guinness?
Fawls was in the running, as was O’Dea’s..

So many days of great music and they all blur in to one, I can’t remember what I did on which day 😏

Posted by .

Sean, are you old enough for Guinness?

Pete

Wait till John O Dea finds out you were under age!! he he he

According to Sean’s Details here (whenever he updated them), he must be in at least his 18th year. The Defence rests, yer Honour πŸ™‚

cuz a teenager has never lied about age when posting a bio online? πŸ˜‰

(but you have to be in at least your 19th year to drink in Ireland, if I’m not mistaken…)

Actually, the meat head in front of Steele’s let me in when as a last resort I told him I was 17…

Pete, I’m not too young πŸ˜‰

I thought drinking age in ireland is the same as the UK, 18?

Posted by .

SeΓ‘n is right the drinking age here in Ireland is 18. However, this is also the minimum age for youngsters to be in the pub at all after 9.00pm so you’ll never get any of those great young musicians at a session! Luckily this only applies in theory (well in most places) but this is an old chestnut which has already been debated to death here so I’ll shut up!