Rolls on fiddle.

Rolls on fiddle.

Hello again!
I use to play with a friend of mine on saturdays, he on the fiddle, me on flute of whistle and his dad on bodhr

Posted by .

Re: Rolls on fiddle.

If your friend has a computer, I highly recommend the Amazing Slowdowner from ronimusic.com. It’s about $40USD, and you can slow mp3s or tunes from CD down on your computer until you hear every single cut, strike, tap, or note of a roll — without changing the pitch. It’s been the biggest single help to me ever. Also, I don’t know whether this is any use, but professional Irish flute players I know claim that Fintan Vallely’s book "Timber: The Irish Flute Tutor" has the best section on ornamentation anywhere. Of course, it’s also a whole page and a half, but according to Mr. Vallely and his adherents, that’s really all you need to know! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, have fun and hope this helps!

cat.

Ok. I will tell him.
But remember, he doesn’t know how to do rolls at all.
He has absolutely no idea.

Posted by .

First piece of advice is to practice a basic roll EXTREMELY slowly just to train your fingers where to go. It will speed up naturally in time.

The basic roll I start students off with is this:
First note, note above, first note, note below, first note

So if you started on C# in the key of A it would be:
C#, D, C#, B, C#

I hope this helps!

KP

Posted by .

That’s how I started/starting!!!….and it’s really fun when you get it too!
Good Luck to him!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tufbo, does he *want* to learn to do proper rolls, or does he think he already does them proper?

Zina

Peter Cooper’s book and companion double CD are excellent, it’s called "The Complete Irish Fiddler" He really slows down all of the types of ornaments on the CD—very helpful, and lots of good tunes on the CD as well to learn—played at a moderate pace.

Posted by .

He does not know how to do them at all. I have tried showing it to him on my whistle but I don’t think it’s the same. I don’t even know whether it is a roll or a triplet. He just started playing the fiddle and is very good. But there are some ornaments in ITM that is in almost every song, I don’t know the name on it, but I think it is rolls. This is a bit hard for me to explain, I don’t play fiddle. It is this ornament where you take your bow up and down the strings very quickly a few times.

Posted by .

He is trying to do proper rolls, but he don’t know how to do them, so everytime he is playing a song he is kinda hiding the rolls or doing something else instead; going the easy way. This makes it a bit hard playing together sometimes, so I hope you can help!
I have told him several times he ain’t learning by going the easy ways all the time, but I can also understand him as he don’t know how to do it. It’s kinda funny though, he can do perfect rolls on my whistle!

Posted by .

Nope, that’s not a roll. That’s a triplet, or a bowed triplet. Flutists also often cut the triplet, so if that’s what you’re doing, he probably needs to do a fiddler’s version of the piper’s cran.

Hang on a sec, Will posted an explanation of the bowed triplet, let me go find it.

Zina

Rolls don’t have first priority for me. The rhythm and the bowing come first. And it makes no sense if your friend doesn’t really want to do rolls - but they’re fun. Choose a tune in e minor (Kid on the mountain, Fermoy Lasses, Morrisons Jig ..) where rolls can be done very effectively on the first finger on the d-string. Thus you don’t have to worry about the note below your main note as its an open string.
So you play e (long) -f# - e - d - e (shorter) slowly and then faster with more emphasis. Be patient and don’t get bogged down by the ornaments if everything else seems alright.
All the best,

Posted by .

Aha! I had some thoughts that it might be triplets, I’m not that teached. Actually, all I can on my flute and whistle is self learned only by listening!
OK! TOPIC CHANGE: TRIPLETS ON FIDDLE!!!

Posted by .

Hey! I’m not really that into crans either! I think I know how to do them, but if someone has a good explanation on how doing them on flute/whistle it may have been easier teaching it to him!

Posted by .

Triplets on fiddle!

(ROLLS ON FIDDLE PART 2)
It may look like I made a mistake by mixing up triplets and crans on fiddle with rolls (newbie!)
So, now you can give me all your fine information about that instead.
Sorry!

Posted by .

Sometimes it is difficult to keep the rolls on the fiddle. If you open them, remove the ham, and use the butter as an adhesive, they won’t continually slide off…

Ottery - has no-one told you about Superglue? It’s very strong you know. I superglued my sandwiches onto the far side of the blowhole of my flute, so that I could have a quick snack whilst someone else led a tune. This wasn’t a good idea.

Unfortunately, it didn’t all dry in, and some trickled down during The Bucks of Oranmore. Then it dried in with my face attached.

It was only the head joint that they had to surgically remove, because one of the ambulance crew was an amateur Cor-Anglais-ist with the TA, and thankfully, he knew that woodwind instruments came apart.

I’m just so glad I memorised my password for The Session so I can stay online while I’m in Lewisham Hospital, undergoing minor facial reconstruction surgery, for the next four months, They said it will be months after that before I can go near the wooden flute, and have advised me never to use the silver flute again. Whistle playing is down to 5 minute stints, 2 times a week. Also, because one twists ones facial expressions around, while playing the box, that has to go completely, until further notice.
It was really good that the Doctor saw me right away, but then, I would half expect that kind of preferential treatment when he’s my next door neighbour.

I just feel so lucky!! - it could have been much worse!

Danny.

Yes, you could listen to strange men blathering on and on at The Session.org…*snicker* LOL — you’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?!

Danny, try The Road to Rio next time, the glue dries quicker in the warmer climate.

Rolls have to be picked up by ear.Tell your friend that the note being rolled is the important one,and the other notes of the roll are only interuptions in the sound of the main note.The idea is not to fully articulate every note in the roll.The notes above the rolled note should be played as quickly as possible and with mere flicks of the fingers. David Meredith