Music for the jitled generation???

Music for the jitled generation???

I was wondering whether music is a genetic thing or something you pick up. It came from finding out my grandfather, who unfortunately died a few hours after I came into the world was a well established fife player, which I never knew. I then found out that my great grand parents were also very musical

I was the first in my immediate family to play any instrument, neither of my parents do and my brother followed suit, playing guitar, drums and mandolin. So it made me think…. Is musical abilty in the blood? Is that why there are so many bad players out there because i was never in their blood.

I also find musicians are artistic in other ways, so is it connected. I’m just tryin to grasp where my musical inclination came from and see if this relates to anyone else?

Also does a certain instrument run in families? I’ve found Im better at woodwind then string instruments and it comes almost naturally for me, although plenty of practice is also required.

Just a thought.

Re: Music for the jitled generation???

My mother can sing nicely, my father can play the stereo….
My first fiddle came from Grandpa’s attic, but never heard anyone mention that he could play.
Several members of my dad’s extended family are musical. My husband’s family also has musicians in it.
That said, both my husband and I are musicians, as well as all of our children. We play string instruments mostly, but my husband can play anything, daughter plays guitar and sax, sons play guitars, one also is a drummer. Husband’s brother is also a musician, and his sister is, too.

My mother played a bit of clarinet in high school, but never picked it up after she graduated. My father enjoys singing - loudly - and appears to believe quite earnestly that it’s everyone *else* who’s off-key. My one sibling has never purchased a CD. I don’t know where I get it.

Re: Music for the lilted generation?

try the link below if you’re feeling jilted,lol.

in a shameless thread hijack it’s the link to kane o‘rourke’s new album,’the jolly tinker’.

https://thesession.org/recordings/2802

there’s an example of someone whose family has music but as far as i recall neither parent plays an instrument.

in my own case,anything i have re music is from my mother.you would n’t want to hear my father whistling,i can tell you.

i would think there’s a mix all round-some families are well known for their music and sometimes someone just crops up virtually out of thin air.

but it has to start somewhere!

Parents? Nothing to do with it - it’s all in the stars 🙂

Re: astral projection

no,it’s all in the head and the heart!

stars,indeed!

that’s to be taken with a smiley,btw

My great-grandfather died of music in the brain. A grand piano fell on his head.

Re: give him a key and he’ll play in any flat…

was he an army officer or a collier?

yes,these are the ones you love to hate…

A flat major and A flat minor.

mein Gott,indeed…

Hee hee, dave.
Sorry lollypolly (try saying THAT after 10 pints), You may be interested to read an old discussion I posted which examines this but looks more at the reasons why some generations are or are not musical:
https://thesession.org/discussions/8317/

Everyone is musical. It’s a natural human ability like language. The idea that there are “good” players and “bad” players is a cultural thing. And thank goodness some people are good at woodwinds and others at strings. Variety is the spice of life!

I take fiddle lessons from a young man who is 18. He’s a fantastic player. His sister took second in Harp at Tullamore in the 12-15 age bracket. The parents never played a musical instrument and don’t know where they got it from, but I’m glad they did.

Here’s a clip of my teacher Brennan if you’re interested.

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_229_3_brennan_brooker/

Maybe that means there’s still hope for me at 51!

I’d like to put up a disclaimer. I am in NO way artistic apart from my playing of la musique. I can’t dance, don’t do drama, and couldn’t draw a straight line with a ruler (and my mum’s an art teacher!).

JH

No connection whatsoever. My mother can remember reams of lyrics and has perfect singing pitch. My father was a music teacher for years. His Grandmother played a concertina which she brought over on the boat from Tyrone. No connection whatsoever… [/sarcasm]

There have always been accordions in the house - my son is 4th generation playing to my knowledge. (As some branches of the family lived afloat in 18th/19th centuries, they might have played as well).

“ a few hours after I came into the world was a well established fife player”

…… and you’re asking if musical ability is something you can be born with!

And what about musical families who after a few generations of genius produce a total dud? J.S. Bach produced a couple of dozen musically talented children (well, several,anyway) - were there are musician grandchildren? or great grandchildren?

Posted by .

Only 10 of his 20 children survived to adulthood, and five of those were well-known for their music.

One grandchild: Wilhelm Friedrich Ernst Bach. From Wikipedia:
“One of WFE’s most remarkable compositions was a concerto for piano six hands. He wrote it in such a way in that it was to be performed with one large male in the middle and two petite females on either side of him. WFE indicated that the man was to stretch his arms around the ladies to play the outside parts, while the ladies performed the middle parts.”

Again according to Wikipedia, as of 1930, it was believed that there were no descendants at all after his great-grandchildren died (the last in 1871), but as of 1999 it was believed that there were 15 living direct descendants named Von Colson.

Are you sure this wasn’t P.D.Q. Bach?

Posted by .

I feel sorry for people who dont play music. Both my parents are musically challenged (I mean that in the nicest possible way) There isnt a note between them really. My father tries and thinks he’s muscial but i just can’t tell him how utterly ridiculous he sounds. I definately skipped a generation there!

showaddydadito thats mean now mocking my poor grammer!!! I actually went to college and everything and this is the result or too many brain cells killed by student life 🙂

I meant to put in a comma but you get the jist of it.

No musicians in my family. Still none, if we believe Michael, Dow and Tombo🙂

My son is rather talented however, gets that from his mother who claims to play the piano. We do not have a piano so we don’t know.