Petersen/Musikalia Octave Mandolin

Petersen/Musikalia Octave Mandolin

I am currently octave mandolin shopping, and there are two brands that I have my eyes on, Petersen and Musikalia. I have played a Musikalia, and it felt pretty nice and had a good sound, but I have also seen the great reviews that Petersen has gotten on this site.

http://www.musikalia.it/en/english2.htm

First, having to do with the Musikalia.
1. What difference is there between the models that makes one more expensive?
2. Which wood is the best (and is rosewood worth 200 more dollars)?
3. Any other comments.

Also about the Petresen, Is there a significant difference between the three "levels" of mandolins?

Finally, which would you recommend overall?
By the way, my buying range is hopefully under $1000, but I could stretch it a bit if a Petersen is way better.

Thanks a lot

Re: Petersen/Musikalia Octave Mandolin

If at all possible, try before you buy.Are there no stockists near you, or a festival with opportunities to try out instruments at stalls ?
I wouldn’t want to buy without some experience of them. Especially if you’re at your limit of expenditure, to buy something unseen and heard, and then not to be happy with it.

Does anyone "know" anything about the Musikalia brand?
I had never heard of it until I went to Lark in the Morning in San Francisco

I would absolutely get the Peterson over the Musikalia. You can get a level 1 Peterson for just under a grand. The levels are mostly differences in tonewoods and cosmetics vs quality and workmanship.

There’s a new company called Gypsy Music in Arizona making a good quality bare bones octave mandolin for about $750-$800 that would be a good choice too. They make very good flat top mandolins. Roger Landes of Zoukfest gave the Gypsy octave some good marks over at the Mandolincafe.

thanks for the tip steve, I’ll check it out

How much of a difference is there between the "levels" of Petersens?