Pickup for vintage mandocello

Pickup for vintage mandocello

Hi, I’ve got a vintage Gibson mandocello which I play as my second instrument in a local ceilidh band [first being a Fylde mandolin fitted with Headway pickup]. I’ve a problem amplifying it - I use a clip on microphone with cannon connection on the scratchplate. However I’ve recently had feedback problems particularly from the monitor, so was wondering about some sort of pickup/microphone combination, particularly with jack input. Anyone any ideas? My local guitar maker didn’t want to do anything drastic in view of the vintage nature.

Re: Pickup for vintage mandocello

I have had good results from my octave mandolin in a ceilidh band situation using a temporary installation of a Headway Snake. (It was one I’d removed from a guitar.) Embed the Snake element in bluetack or similar onto the instrument top along the line of, and next to, the bridge. The jack socket can be attached to your strap or the side of the instrument. Good sounds straight away, better still with a little eq-ing at the mixer stage. maybe it might work for you?
Good luck,
Keith

You don’t say if you have an F-hole with floating bridge, or a round soundhole instrument. I’m assuming it’s an F-hole, from what you say, and your luthier was quite reasonable not wanting to do anything drastic and permanent.
One of the under-bridge transducers might be the thing.
If you have a round soundhole you might try what I did, I took a Seymour Duncan guitar pickup designed to fit across the soundhole, and had to grind off the part of the fitting that goes inside the soundhole, as my bouzouki has a smaller soundhole than standard acoustic guitars, then it’s Ducktape the thing in on gig nights.

sorry - it’s round soundhole, Thanks for advice so far, Rob

Ya, you could go for a sound hole type that clips in. Hnady if you dont want it there all the time.

I use L.R Baggs fitted under the bridge with jack input and they have a great sound, I never have any trouble with them.

Fishman are goo d too..

dozybob

Those are cool - always wanted to see one. I think if you post this over on the builders section fo the mandolincafe.com you’ll get some response from someone with experience with a Gibson Mandocello.

Good luck!