Tune posters with a rep for accuracy

Tune posters with a rep for accuracy

I’ve been away a while, but now my real life has gotten dull enough again I can start digging through the tunes posted here. I’m looking for a particular kind of notation though, so probably would be better to peruse the postings of individual members rather than searching by snippet or name, as I usually do.

Which members these days tend to post particular settings identified in the notes (Ie, this is how the Bothy Band played such-and-such on this album) with very detailed and accurate notation?

Here’s the catch, you can’t vote for yourself. :D

Re: Tune posters with a rep for accuracy

Will and Gian Marco will still do a great job. But, why not do that by yourself?

Since he can’t vote for himself, I vote for Slainte.

I can’t name anyone in particular, but I don’t see any point in posting an exact, note-for-note version of a tune as played by someone or another. If you learned it from that person, then ok, but what’s the big deal about playing a tune exactly like someone else. All someone is doing by posting a copy of a band’s or player’s version is encouraging some of the less informed people on this site that that’s a good way to learn and play tunes. What people should do is post the most common or most widely played version of a tune as the main version, and then put alternate versions (such as a specific bands’ version) versions under the comments section, along with variations and other commentary about the tune.

Dow does a great job as does kenny, ceolachan and lazyhound (Trevor) – as well as Will CPT, slainte Gian Marco, Mad Baloney/Brad Maloney and Jeremy of course. Clicking on their profiles and looking at the tunes they’ve submitted should give you scads of new material to seek out. Glad to see you back posting, Fiddler on Vermouth.

While friends and the familiar changes, counting those who have left completely and those that are backing away, it is good to see a familiar name return… Hi Kerri, welcome back, your spirit has been missed. I hope you have the strength, suspect you do, to hold on and take the rough with the smooth. As to your questions, I often find the best transcriptions are the ‘other takes’ you can stumble across in the ‘comments’.

I am not aware of any easy way to look up tunes by the transcriber, like Kenny or Will, who are amongst those that have decided to step back from this ‘edge’, friends whose presence here I will miss greatly, suspecting I’m not alone ~ their continued transcriptions and comments, including the serious, the comic and the ascerbic… They gave me strength and shared their passion for the music at a time when I needed those positive influences. There are others, but some of them have also decided to disconnect…

Anyway, glad you are back, and I hope you have fared well, in all ways, including with and through the music…

A friend in the digital quagmire ~ ‘c’

Hi, Ceolachan, it’s kind of nice to be back, although I doubt I’ll be a regular contributor to the discussions - I had an epiphany while reading a couple of my old posts. Where do all those strong opinions come from? It’s like a barking mad gatekeeper has been handling my interpersonal exchanges all my life without my knowledge or permission. The fact is I just like stringing words together and haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to what I’m saying with them.

Anyway, thanks all for your nominations. I will poke around.

fiddle01, I had a workshop once where a specific setting was broken down in great detail, and I got a much better sense of Irish ornamentation, bowing and rhythm out of the deal.

Also, I don’t need sheet music to pick up the basic melodies.

I think I agree with FidDLe01.

If you want that great detail, that seems just right for workshops (as long as the other pupils are interested) or for extracting painfully from a recording.

I find that what I want here is the bones of the tune: the things that make it that tune and shouldn’t be changed cavalierly when adding one’s own style to playing it.

Perhaps this changes though as you progress.

Posted by .

Kerri, your contributions have been food for thought, and discourse, whether in agreement or disagreement, and some have just been a good laugh ~ but, however you weave it, I like how you string words together.

Here’s one of yours now, from just above, and a response ~

“I had a workshop once where a specific setting was broken down in great detail, and I got a much better sense of Irish ornamentation, bowing and rhythm out of the deal.”

Yes, it works well in workshops. I have done the deal, every repeat, every nuance and ornamentation and silence that can be notated, and specific instrument directions ~ but it is heavy going and not quite what goes well with the basic tenure of this site. You are wise to be a goer and a doer, taking workshops or, as I’m sure you do, acosting musicians and getting them to show you or explain to you what they do. I have faith in you. Notation is just the bones, here especially, and even with all the available tricks to show all the twiddling and acrobatics, you still can miss a lot. So, you have the wisdom ~ live sources are always best and to be preferred.

I’ve tended to mostly keep my contributions to the melody, with some variations given, sometimes in alternate keys, sometimes as ABCs in the comments. I will often give alternate takes to balance out my own ways with a tune. My preference though, is always to transcribe from another living source than just fetching it out of my memory… When I do give someone else’s take, I usually credit it, if not always. Some specific information I leave for my own work here and for the future…

I have been asked at times to help with someone understand a form, or technique, or ornamentation, or rhythms, etc… I don’t depend on the use of dots or ABCs, notation. I favour the use of words and ears and eyes, not sheet music, not dots, not ABCs, but the actual playing of the music, with guidance, like your workshop… If notation is involved, which I value, it comes after everything else, as a skeletal reminder of the basics of what we’d just shared musically and ‘spiritually’… 😎

Hi Kerri,
I know ceolachan has already been nominated but I’m seconding his name here (though I doubt you need it). His contributions are hands down the most numerous and complete in almost every instance, and I always get a kick out of reading through them all (usually about 20 per tune… or so). Anyway, welcome back. I don’t think I was here yet when you were, but I’ve seen your name in some of the older posts.
Cheers,
Marty

Posted by .

Thanks for the support, psc! Even though I’m a fiddle player, I hate when people add bowing slurs, rolls, cuts, and so on, to the tunes on this site because it doesn’t allow me to develop my own way of playing the tune. No matter how hard you try, you usually end up going back to the first version of the tune you learn, right? It tends to get stuck in your head. At least for me, anyway.

I like to think that I’m rather experienced in the music, having grown up playing the fiddle and having played for about 15 years or so. At least, I have a pretty solid background in Irish music. I know better than to copy someone else’s version note for note. But for someone who doesn’t know any better, or doesn’t care, posting exact copies of someone else’s version is only encouraging them to play it exactly how it’s written. I think that those on this site who do know better should help those with less experience to learn to develop their own version of a tune by posting the bare minimum of a tune in the main ABC. I agree that it’s nice to see other variations and versions, along with ideas for ornamentation, phrasing, etc under the comments section. To me, that is a more appropriate place to post an exact copy of someone else’s version. Then, at least, you would have to look a little harder and would see the “bare bones” version first.

“–fiddle01, I had a workshop once where a specific setting was broken down in great detail, and I got a much better sense of Irish ornamentation, bowing and rhythm out of the deal–”
Kerri, I agree completely with this approach. Might I ask who the workshop was taught by? My teacher teaches in exactly the same way and he insists that you play it exactly the way he plays it to begin with, before you develop your own version. This allows him to demonstrate the correct phrasing of the tune, and to offer suggestions for variation and ornamentation. After you’ve got the tune down, though, he’s completely fine with any changes you want to make to his version of the tune. I think that style of teaching is great, and it’s worked well for me, as well as several other well-known fiddle players my teacher has taught in the past. In a workshop or a lesson is one thing, but posting tunes here with a particular style in mind is just a problem waiting to happen. It’s that approach to learning tunes that results in a bunch of Bothy Band wanna-be’s showing up to sessions thinking that they are great Irish musicians.

Sorry for the long post, everyone. Just had to get that off my mind.

Hi, all, just to clarify, I’m not advocating everybody suddenly start posting nothing but ornamented particular settings, I’m only assuming some people already do and asking for guidance in finding some of these.

The fact is, the vast majority of the content here is bare bones stuff, and that’s great. My passing interest in detail is not likely to change that.

Good point about looking in the comments for particular settings - I hadn’t thought of that.

Fiddle01, the teacher was Patrick Ourceau, and I believe it was a Tommy Peoples setting of Miss McCleod’s. Someone in the class had the decency to notate it all and pass it around later. I thought that was great, but if I hadn’t taken the workshop I wouldn’t have understood the notation. it’s a handy reminder.

Kerri, that wasn’t my first guess, but I know Patrick, having taken numerous workshops with him, and I guess he does take that approach to a certain extent. It really is helpful in a workshop or lesson setting for someone to break down a tune to great extent, isn’t it?

All I wanted to do was point out that some people on this site are probably being directed down the wrong path as far as learning tunes. If you want to learn a particular band’s or individual’s version of a tune just for the heck of it, that’s fine, but I would hate for a beginner or a newcomer to get the idea that that’s how they should be learning/playing tunes. And sometimes, tunes aren’t that commonly played, so you might have to copy someone else’s version if that’s the only one you’ve ever heard. If you want to learn a particular band’s or individual’s version of a tune just for the heck of it, that’s fine, and I do think it can be fun to do cover sets of famous recordings sometimes, just for fun. And what better place to pick up transcriptions for those tunes than on this site?

How would I know?