ITM Conversion

ITM Conversion

I have a friend who is a very good saxaphone player, and I am trying to channel his skill into ITM. He has an interest in the music, and in the tin whistle. Are there any suggestions you can give me to help foster this interest? I plan to give him a couple CD’s tomorrow (songs and tunes)

Re: ITM Conversion

At The Racket - Mirth Making Heros has an excellent sax player on.

A band I was in had a sax player who would often play slow airs on his soprano, and they sounded great.

Posted by .

Lend him some Moving Hearts Albums.
Cheers
Ged

No, I always thought that the sax in moving hearts was the weekest link

Posted .

To me, the sax in the moving hearts, combined with the pipes was the strongest aspect[ apart from christy of course]
A live performance of ‘russian roulete’ was the conversion point for me. incredible playing. The sax, Alto , is an amazing instrument alltogether.

Get him to learn a few standards. That should do the job😎

Why convert a good saxophone player into a probably not-so-good whistle player?

Posted by .

Give him some Sharon Shannon discs - they sometimes have some nice sax. The Collection is a good one for sax.

Mike McGoldrick

& make sure he hears a number of different pipers.

Posted by .

I suggest you turn him on to some good flute playes. Many sax players double on flute, and he may be intrigued by the way Irish flute players articulate without tonguing. The challenge of adapting to the style, which in my opinion is more pronounced and intriguing with flute, may spark him to jump in and try it.

Posted by .

I once knew an incredible clarinetist who could also kick *ss on bass and recorder….
But anyway, he might enjoy hearing
The Irish Low Whistle by Joe McKenna.

He might like the Whistle Players Hornpipe or the Highland Hornpipe. It’s like a low whistle but with a sax reed attached. But the first thing for him to do is to learn some trad tunes on his sax and see if he likes playing them.

Tell him to listen to Fraser Fifield he plays trad stuff on his sax as well as whistle and it’s pretty good.

http://www.highlandhornpipe.com

http://www.myspace.com/fraserfifield

Just heard the new Moving Hearts ‘Live in Dublin’ CD (and will be watching the DVD later tonight - completely different tracks, in case anyone’s wondering).

The sound of Keith Donald and Davy Spillane in unison is still as dynamic as it was 25 years ago when I saw the Hearts at the Dominion Theatre.

Re. other sax players, don’t forget Richie Buckley - a superb musician.

Posted by .

Also the fingering on Sax is nearly identical to the whistles (low and High D) all fingers off is a C# so he should be fine. Saxophone is used often in ITM many of the old ceilli bands had them. get him to show up for a session and he will be hooked