Why do you like Folk Music?

Why do you like Folk Music?

Hi everyone, my name is Christina and I am doing a research project on the lures of Folk Music. First, i know most of you are thinking, define Folk Music, however, it has many interpretations. Please respond by giving me your definition and also specifying why you like Folk Music. Who are some of the artists you listen to and why? Is Folk Music still popular today, why or why not, etc. Lastly, I am requesting that you take the Myers-Briggs personality profile test and let me know what your type and scores were. This test can be found at HumanMetrics.com. It is free and only takes about three minutes to take. I am trying to find out if there is a correlation between those who like Folk Music and a certain personality type. I appreciate any help, insight, or information you can give me.

Re: Why do you like Folk Music?

"…a correlation between those who like Folk Music and a certain personality type"!! Whoa!! That’ll be interesting…maybe read through some of the previous posts here, cpardi.
It’ll be one of the universe’s great mysteries, I’ll bet.

Before we tell you about us tell us about yourself.

Posted by .

If this mustard board is any indication, people who like folk music tend to be crotchety old men who:

Are Extroverted when holding a musical instrument and mostly Introverted all the rest of the time, some of them going to great pains to drive everyone away with their acerbic personalities.

Have no iNtuition about normal people but can pick up the most subtle body language at the session. Insist on being Sensing individuals when it comes to music, discussing music theory about just/equal temperament tuning or modes until normal people’s eyes glaze over.

Have no Feelings or empathy for others whatsoever. Live completely in their heads, which are full of musical variations of whatever tune they’re Thinking on.

Incredibly Judging and persnickety about musical instruments, tuning them obsessively, storing them in humidifying containers, discussing endlessly about bore oils, rosins, strings, tunings and whatever. Meanwhile, the rest of their lives are in a shambles as much as any Perceiving person’s life may be.

Does that help?

I’ll tell you one of the things I like about folk music—-it’s real. Folk musicians don’t need to make slick videos with dance routines and sexy women in skimpy outfits to make people like the music. The music stands on its own. The musicians can actually play the instruments, often to a high level of skill, unlike most of the packaged commercial acts you see today. On the other hand, it’s a kind of music that anyone can create, because there is no need for synthesizers and track sampling and all the other technological contrivances they use in popular music. Folk music isn’t “popular” because it’s not designed to appeal to the largest group of people or a particular age group or demographic. I would say that its appeal would be strongest among people who are turned off by mass-market culture. That’s just a guess. Sorry, but I’m not taking a personality test. How old are you, Christina, and what kind of class is the project for?

I think you just took the personality test.
Hope you pass.

Posted by .

I was trying to help because it sounds like she’s a kid and hasn’t graduated to the sophisticated level of snarkiness there usually is on this board, Muse.

sbhikes: "who like folk music tend to be crotchety old men…etc…"
And that’s what they were like when they were young too.

I like that folk music does not require expensive instruments.
ceolachan just gave a wonderful link to one of the oldest forms of ‘folk’ music ~ using parts of the body to make a melody. In this case manualism. Folk music is its simplest form is something anyone can perform. You can even make music without access to the internet.

Posted by .

It just gets easier with iTunes.

Actually, though, maybe a distinction ought to be drawn between ITM and "folk music" generally. There doesn’t seem to be an easy crossover by ITM players to all other folk music - and vice versa I hasten to add! There seems to be something about ITM that attracts people who just want to know about ITM - in my humble observation.

‘I like that folk music does not require expensive instruments.’

:D Obviously no pipers or concertina players in the family, have you?

Posted .

Kilfarboy, so how much do they cost and how long now.
The last time I was around your area, and met you, in the Geoff Wooffe era there, it was around four years and thousands of euros.
How much for the pipes around the area now?

Kil, does John Lambe still make pipes!

Its the music of the common people. Its a blast to play. I’m an ENTJ.

Yep, we are a cluster of Hikikomori, not necessarily Japanese nor adolescent.

I think it’s the music of the interaction of the common people with the land they were born in. *Listen* to the land, *translate* into music.

Danny, I can’t imagine you are either mate!

Of course not but one of the previous contributors seems to think we are.
A more interesting question to ask, I think, is
"*where are you* that you like Trad music?"
ie which country/region/city - Anglosphere, EU, Israel, Moscow, Buenos Aires, yes, but where else?

I took the test and at the end it said I was a fat bloke who likes a few beers, banter, good tunes and pork scratchings.

Bloody good that test.

Posted by .

Sorry forgot Far East

Good question, Danny. "Where are you" I take it to mean something other than geography? I think so. It’s a great question actually - in my humble observation. Tell us more. I think the lady who posted this thread - and others of course - would love to know.

We have to be careful with our descriptions here as most of us would consider that we are Irish traditional musicians (well aspire to be anyway!). A folk musician conjures up an image of "men in Aran jumpers" belting out sea shanties and such like or people such as Dylan singing anti-war or similar meaningful songs of social significance. I suppose I’ve given my personality away here but I think that the distinction needs to be drawn.

I agree, Banner, but it is entirely possible, historically in retrospect, that the *men in Aran jumpers" will have *Asian* faces, speak Irish, and their forebears will have migrated to Australia! It has almost happened before! What distinction are you actually talking about? You can not win this sort of argument from this sort of stance, mate, it is a global world now, as you now from you’re EU, etc…

I’m not too sure of your point here DD as it was not my intention to make any political point other than describing things as they are. Maybe you thought I meant to imply that folk musicians are in some way inferior to us instrumental/sean nós types but this could not be farther from the truth. Singers such as Bob Dylan and Christy Moore are not only exceptional performers and entertainers but they also raise important social issues that may often ruffle (and rightfully so) a few feathers in the political establishment. All I’m saying is "let’s get our descriptions right" - if I’m going to a folk event I’ll leave my fiddle at home!

I just assumed "folk" meant "trad" in this instance, ie I gave her the benefit of the doubt.

The best thing about folk music is that you don’t have to listen to it anymore. The great "folk scare" of the 60s and 70s threatened western civilization.
Although I have to admit I still have a fondness for the folk music scene in Animal House with John Belushi — Gumbaya Baby.

No problem, Banner. I understand. It’s just that I think there might be more "instrumental/sean nos types" in Japan than in your parts of the world. What *descriptions* do you have in mind?

You may well be right DD - Japan is a lot bigger than Ennis!

I like Irish music - it’s the most rock-like of non-rock music ( INTJ)

Or Ireland, Banner. The music lives, the people change.

Taking personality tests….whoa there, young woman, are you trying to inveigle me into the Scientologists or something ?
Meanwhile, it all depends on what you call "folk music", and while most people on THIS forum would understand that to be traditional music ( and song ) in all its forms, outside of this specialized gathering there would be much less understanding and agreement.
See my next discussion, titled "Duck soup".

This young woman is actually 95 years old, GP.

“I am trying to find out if there is a correlation between those who like Folk Music and a certain personality type.”

[Assuming that you’re not just winding us up …] A very interesting question, but you won’t get a meaningful answer this way, because, among other problems, your sample will be hopelessly non-representative.

Actually, I got out the hand-knitted jumper my wife made for me, the other day, but of course it was a Guernsey, not an Arran.
And, DD, anyone with an enquiring mind seems young to me.

An Arran or an Aryan, GP?
Enquiring minds stay young forever, mate, I’m sure. Long may ye stay.

Hey everybody…thanks for the feedback…several things for me to address…I am a senior at Heidelberg College..I’m 21..and im from Defiance, OH…just so you know..this project is for a psychology based course called Why we like what we like. Hense, the question i posed. It’s really interesting the kinda of responses i am receiving from the "Folk Music community" it mostly unsupportive, abrassive, and doesn’t seem to point to any indication that the people who represent Folk Music on these sites actually care about it enough to share what it is to them, It’s really kind of depressing to me. Addressing the non representative sample size portion of someone’s response, you are likely wrong. As long as my sample of personality types shows a higher percentage rate than the base rate for a certain personality type it is very representative of the sample to which i am researching. As for what i mean my Folk Music, I am assuming that most of the people look at it in a traditional sense, however, if you look at my original posting you will see that i have asked what it means to you and so on…i wont be able to look at this site again until Friday…but please everyone keep discussing this…tell me the lures…wht attributes are you most attracted to? Do you listen for the words or lyrics? Be elaborate. If i get enough support, I am presenting this at a research competition called "Minds at Work" so please help me out, or if you guys can’t please let me know if you think of someone who can. Thanks again.

An aryan sweater ?
You mean, like a thick teutonic type ?
No, it’s ARRAN, as in the Arran islands off the west coast of Ireland, reputedly the home of a style of knitting suitable for breezy sitiuations, and adopted by The Clancy Brothers in the ’50s’.

I know, I know GP. I’m just taking the p*s. Good man yerself.
Cpardi, I told ye, it would be difficult to get yer head around, why do you presume it would be easy. Maybe formulate your questions a little more precisely, or ye’ll well not get your PhD.

Maybe I can’t spell "Aran"……

cpardi,

Your questions are not very precise, especially for a research paper. You realize you are asking people from all over the world what "it means to them". Could you do a study on people in Ohio that play the music? That could be really interesting. Narrow the focus a bit?

btw, don’t worry about the one person here that says we are all "crotchy old men", not true at all, believe me!

Actually, I looked at this test thingy, and rather than read it all through, I did two random sets of results, the one where I alternately put my answer on the next to leftmost, or next to rightmost points on the scale, then another where I put the first on the extreme left, the next one over, all the way to the right, and then back again, and at the end both fake sets of answers suggested I had a personality. I’m really not convinced.
I suggest that the main answers from this survey are that "folk people" are essentially stroppy and non-compliant, except with their own kind and not neccessarily even then. But the bond between us is that we all like ‘folk music’.

Ah, Aine Ni Scully, yer a beauty, I know. Great gal yerself.

You’re a soaring reply, mate, GP. Goffer it.

Ah HA, DD! Well, just not a begrudger!

Aine, I think you have the right idea.
cpardi, I suggest you find the local sessions, and hand out forms to everyone with the questions and personality tests, and a load of self-addressed stamped envelopes ( maybe to a departmental address, not your own, some of these hairy old guys have little social sense, and might get the wrong idea).
This forum is worldwide and unrepresentative, it’s just the garrullous and timewasters who contribute, not a representative section by any means.
Oh, I’ve just called myself a garrullous timewaster………

Never never, Aine Ni Scully. Ye can see that. Just usually takin-he-p*s. Yer a great lady altogether.

I am a deprived folk musician with no aran jumper. Would someone like to buy me one for Christmas?

D

Yeah, ye try harder than that, Welsmmn.

cpardi, your second mistake was not reading the topics on this forum enough to know that it’s the wrong venue for your questions. You’re not going to get a straight answer here. That doesn’t mean anything about you or about folk musicians. It’s part of the charm of the mustard board.

Your first mistake was thinking that you can get people on the Internet to provide useful research information for you. The laziest way to do research is to log in to a forum and post a topic. Coincidentally it’s also the worst way. I’m afraid you’re going to have to do your research in person or some other way.

I’m so glad I went to college before the Internet. I’d hate to be competing with the cut-and-paste youth of today.

So there, cpardi, ye have a good lesson. There is no quick fix.
Sit down and listen to the music yerself, get the vibe, and then try to articulate your feeling about it.

Cpardi, listen to Aine Ni Scalia, she knows the go.

Ah, DD!

So cpardi, how close are you to the cities in Ohio that have Irish music communities, how about Toledo?

"Do you listen for words or lyrics?"

Ah Jeremy you’ve missed the "lyrics" tab from the tunes section…..

Ah, Aineniscalia, it is indeed, What music d’ye play - by the way!

Jayzus and KM, anyone promulgating the completely discredited notion that ‘psychological types’ can be identified by a questionnaire should be given a shorter shrift than the most annoying shakey-egg merchant!

Posted by .

First of all i would call the music i play and enjoy "traditional music." i would define it as music that has originated form the irish tradition and has been passed on aurally through the centuraries. One of my Music Text books also notes that is it constantly bieng replenished by the re-introduction of neglected items and the composition of new material.

i have answered the young lady’s questions unlike many other people here. how sad do i feel :P

Abort, retry, fail?

Yeah, these forums aren’t really the place where you’re likely to get serious responses. And the serious responses you do get will be representative only of a small subset of folk music fans, or even of fans on this forum.

Someone suggested earlier trying to get in touch with the folk music community in Ohio - perhaps by posting a flyer in a local music shop with a promise of a small compensatory monetary reward to participants. That’s how it’s more usually done in academia, and a more academically recognized approach will give you a better chance in that research competition. Given your probable budgetary and time constraints, I would suggest narrowing your topic and choosing a group of research subjects that you have more formal access to. Perhaps 4-H students? Students at a local youth symphony or music school? Members of your university’s marching or jazz band? If you can approach a conductor or group leader, and/or lurk outside the practice room and bribe subjects with candy (or just have their group leaders force them to participate), you may have better luck.

She may not be young, saxwhistle, mind ye.
She might say the music has oriiginated from the land, maybe, don’t you think?
Ainenisacalia, what d’yte think?

Nice go, flieder maus. Well thought, but may be no cigar. Don’t always about the budgtet eh.

Ah, well, it’s just a few suggestions. As a recent university graduate, I remember vividly what working on these projects is like, deadlines and all. Offering $10 per participant is all well and good when it’s a fully funded project, but for a class assignment research expenses are usually out-of-pocket.

btw, I also second guernseypete’s suggestion of bringing addressed stamped envelopes to a local session and asking really really nicely.

fliedermaus is right, narrow the focus, think about what you are trying to find out and give yourself a little time to do it..

Remembering life in school… you DO have a little time, don’t you? 🙂

I like folk music because it is timeless and honours our past. Every culture has its own folk music and in this there is both diversity and unity.

(personality type INTP)

Absolutely know what you mean, aine. Whatever time, you know.
I pity ye USA-siders with the study, the crowds and the budgets.Who has control o’yer

I f u c k i n hate folk music.

Posted .

I love folk music, it is the music of the common "folk".

What is this music of the common folk? For centuries you could have described folk songs as "the news", like CNN or whoever. That’ was how events were immortalised for ever. "The Four Mary’s", dates back to the 13th century, and tells a tale about the Queen’s maid in waiting, no tabloids then, "The Newry Highwayman" is obvious, "The Galway Races" is obvious, as is "MNolly Malone".

Most of the songs appeared in broadsheets, sold on the corner of streets, and folk songs fell into a number of categories, such as "Love", "War", "Work" "Travel" and "Humour".

These songs recorded the times. You could trace the history of N.Ireland through folk song, and indeed many countries. In N.Ireland, songs of country life, love in the country such as "Star of the county Down", "The Flower of Magherally", to the songs about the mills in Belfast, right up to modern "republican" songs. England Scotland, Wales, The US of A, Australia, I would be familiar with those countries folk songs.

In the 1960s the folk revival took the form of protest at times, reflecting the era. This obviously had to be suppressed, we couldn’t possibly have a more caring society, so the caring people and protest singers were marginalised. There is a very poor profit margin in caring.

There are some great performers. Luke Kelly was perhaps peerless as a singer, The Dubliners, Five Hand Reel, Planxty, Dick Gaughan, Pete Seeger, Tom Paxton, Kate Rusby, Ewan McCall, and thousands more. In tyhe modern age you had Dylan, Lightfoot, Nick Drake, and you could include some of Simon and Cohen. If Tom Waits "mid-west" songs which portray life there are not folk, what the hell are they. "The Heart of a Saturday night" just paints an entire picture of life in a small town, you can imagine you have been there.

Obviously I could expand but I am in court tomorrow. (nothing to do with plectrums) Hope you find what you are looking for.

Christina,

We really are trying to be helpful. On an online forum, you’re likely to get quick responses with little attention paid to tact. It often just means that the person only had time to dash off a terse reply and might show up later for more detail.

I’ve had some experience in scientific research, published in journals, etc.,

Part of my point about a non-representative sample is that people who submit to a personality test and share the results with a stranger online constitute a self-selected, narrow sample. You are automatically eliminating people who tend to avoid such interactions and that is certainly an aspect of personality type. This is likely to tell you little or nothing about the whole population of people who like folk music.

Responses from this group would be skewed in another way. This forum is populated mainly by people who actually *play* a particular type of music and are passionately devoted to it. There’s considerable difference between that population and the people who just “like folk music.”

As I said, it’s a very interesting question, but as others have indicated, you really need to narrow down your project. Maybe choose a particular genre of folk music that’s popular locally. Maybe find a local folk music organization (they’re everywhere) and see if they’d let you take a few minutes before the break in one of their concerts to describe what you’re trying to do and solicit volunteers. If it’s presented in a way that seems interesting and fun, you might get enough participation to warrant calling a representative sample (of people who like whatever the concert is about).

Good luck!

I just noticed I left an incomplete sentence in that last reply. I meant to say …

I’ve had some experience in scientific research, published in journals, etc., and I’m painfully aware of the difficulties of designing an experiment that is actually valid. It’s especially difficult with survey type studies.

I think Bob is right on. And one thing this forum IS good for is finding local folk music organizations.

Good luck!

based on my own empirical studies, it seems that a more intriguing research topic would be how so many different personalities manage to tolerate eachother so frequently and for long periods of time? can’t just be the beer…

Levon Helm was talking about the real deal.
Contemporary music tends toward the easy part of life.
Traditional music which survives comes from living life to the fullest.
That is what trad is on.
Ceilidh ~ session ~ trad ~ dance ~ every chance you can.

Posted by .

Who are some of the artists I listen to?
Definitely the Irish pipers, probably Cillian Vallely these days.
Check out some of those YouTube clips where they close in on Matt Molloy’s magic fingers. But I do not know any of the artists. Sessions are for playing with the folk you meet ~ at home or traveling about. My friend Thea, such a curious & versatile fiddler. Always a joy to play with her.
Cheers!

Posted by .

Guernsey Pete,

T’wasn’t the Clancey boys that put me off those Aran sweaters. It was when someone told me that the reason they have a different pattern for every village is that when a fisherman gets lost at sea and the body isn’t washed up for a few days the only means of identication was by the pattern of the sweater. Then they knew which village to return it to. Just looking at them depresses me because it’s the first image to come to mind.

The second image to come to mind is a whole genration of shoite finger-in-the-ear singers, of course, which just puts the icing on the cake.

And bodhran bliss,

I wouldn’t trust the news printed in those broadside thingies.

Look what they did to poor ould Grace Darling. Just about killed her they did.

Why we like what we Like", sounds like it could be an interesting course. From all the grumbling it is sometimes hard to believe that we like what we like (present company excepted). What I like most about folk music, however it is defined, is just what I like about all the music I like; that it sounds like there is another human hanging on the other end of the melody, or the arrangement, or whatever catches my ear. I can find the same thing in dancing, no need to be talking, but still some how one is tacked on to this other persons life. I play music for much the same reasons that I listen to music.

Posted by .

Reading your initial question makes it clear this is way too broad a question to deserve a serious answer. Great for those who’ve taken time to answer, but why bother if the questioner is so lazy?

Hi cpardi

I’ll try my best to answer your questions. It wasn’t that long ago that I was doing my own psychology research project!

Folk music to me is a very broad category and that worries me for your project. To me it includes traditional music designed for both song and dance from all cultures from all aross the world. I use cultures in the traditional sense of peoples not a modern anthropological sense of more fluid cultures like the cultures of american teenage skateboarders or something!!

The main subject of this forum is irish traditional dance music which has spread around the world. In america you could includes old time country and blues as folk also. Add to that contempory artists, both the successful and the less successful, who have been influenced by traditional song and you have a massive category. To me it’s all folk music.

What do I like? I started out in music playing guitar and writing songs. Overtime I formed the opinion that the best songwriters are those who sing with their own voice - who say something about themselves and the culture that they come from. Here in Scotland we have many bands who although they speak in a broad scots accent when it comes to singing they sing in an american accent. It’s not my thing. I think it’s kinda fake. The artists become like an actor rather than a musician. In singers I like those who come across as having honesty and integrity in their work. Scottish guys singing in american accents don’t do it as I’m sure american guys singing in scottish accents wouldn’t either. At the same time it can be a turn off to hear a modern 21st century singer playing the role of 17th century sailor or something singing in an antiquated accent that you’d never hear spoken today. That again becomes like an actors performance rather than an honest show.

So once I realised that I liked something of the person and the persons culture in the singing performance you quickly follow that up with same thing for the music. In Scotland traditional music plays a part in many aspects of our lifes. On special occasions like parades or weddings traditional music is often heard. It’s part of the people and not just for 4 weeks at number one it stays with you for generations. For me the interest in traditional music comes from wanting to express that part of my cultural identity in my music. The patterns of speech, the turns of phrase. I want my songs to sound like me and to sound scottish both musically and lyrically. So one lure for me I would say - aside the enjoyment of playing an instrument (including voice) and mastering it and from the social side of playing music - is from is in an expression of personal identity. Like I imagine the lure for those teenage skateboarders is as well it’s just that my expression is somewhat nationalistic rather than in the baggy pants area.

Anyway I think I’ve said enough already…. I took the test:

I’m INTJ
Introverted 89 Intuitive 75 Thinking 12 Judging 11

Have to agree with Mark here. Even the basic question of "what is folk music?" is left wide open. From my own personal perspective there are the two totally different interpretations, namely the singing area, so well defined by Bodhrn Bliss, and Irish tradional music where the emphasis is on tunes. The former can be sub-divided still further into the Luke Kelly/Christy Moore type songs as opposed to the 32 verse ballads trotted out in folk clubs by singers with hands in pockets and eyes closed - probably can’t bear to see the discomfort suffered by the audience!

Depending on how cpardi defines "folk music" my answers are as follows:-

* Irish trad music - love it for reasons stated many times;
* Luke Kelly (etc) type folk music - enjoy it:
* Folk club type stuff - same view as Michael

Participation, in a word. Thats why most people play folk music!

Posted by .

I like four letter words beginning with F and ending in K

"* Folk club type stuff - same view as Michael"

Well, unless you just dislike "performances" per se I don’t see how you can just dismiss "folk club stuff".

It’s true that many folk club guests represent the style of music you (and many) detest but a very large percentage of what gets featured these days includes traditional and often wholly instrumental music.
For instance, last year we had Gerry and Donal O’Connor (Best gig of the year for us, I’d argue), Wrigley Sisters, Tommy Peoples, Anna Massie Band, Eamonn Coyne to name but a few. We’ve got Kevin Burke coming back soon too, Tom McConville with Claire Mann, Nuala Kennedy and so on.

Also, folk singing and trad music is inescapably inter twined whether you like it or not. Most touring bands will include a mixture of tune sets and songs in their repertoire.

BB says
"There are some great performers. Luke Kelly was perhaps peerless as a singer, The Dubliners, Five Hand Reel, Planxty, Dick Gaughan……."

I agree and all these artists are perfect examples of "folk and trad music" being inter twined and co-existing in harmony. Whether you like it or not!

Why do I like folk music?

Firstly, I do not like FOLK MUSIC. Too broad a term, covering too many things. But that would be another discussion.

I like -TRADIONAL IRISH DANCE MUSIC- , mostly in the form of open sessions by less than a dozen musicians, strictly acoustic, usually in a pub or someone’s home.

What do I like about it?
I like the sense of a common leveling ground, where pretty much anyone who can play may join in.
I like the closeness and the accessability of the music and the musicians.
I like the timelessness of a really retro session, old tunes played on old instruments [frequently by OLD players 🙂].
I like traditions, and I like the idea that the music and the tunes, and their part in an ancient and great culture, will go on long after I am gone and forgotten.
I like being a small part of something precious and fragile, yet very much worth perserving.

My babble.

("That will be two cents, please.")

Posted by .

Looks like an ad for the test-taking website and associated "schools" that can send you information about obtaining a "degree," through their on-line courses.
I don’t believe this is for real for a second.

First step in any discussion of this nature is to define your terms. Here’s how Sticky Wiki does it:

"Traditional music: The original meaning of the term "folk music" was synonymous with the term "Traditional music", also often including World Music and Roots music; the term "Traditional music" was given its more specific meaning to distinguish it from the other definitions that "Folk music" is now considered to encompass.

Folk music can also describe a particular kind of popular music which is based on traditional music. In contemporary times, this kind of folk music is often performed by professional musicians. Related genres include Folk rock and Progressive folk music.

In American culture, folk music refers to the American folk music revival, music exemplified by such musicians as Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, who popularized and encouraged the lyrical style in the 1950s and 1960s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music

So there you go, that’s why you’re getting some crotchety answers. This is an Irish Traditional Music website, not a Folk Music website. I don’t mind folk music, I was brought up listening to my father and uncles playing and singing Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Dylan, etc. I also enjoy Irish Folk music, "popular music based on traditional" music. I love Irish Traditional Music.

I actually love that definition as well: "popular music based on traditional music" ergo Traditional Music is NOT popular, which is why it’s a perfect fit for old Irish American punk rockers like myself. We seek truth and the nature of the iconoclast. To be a traditional musician is to seek truth and preserve the good qualities of humanity despite its unpopularity and its total inherent opposition to the plastic and fake modern consumer popular culture. “We rage against the dying of the light” or at least I used to when I was younger. Now I’m older, so I just fiddle against the dying of the light, and holler songs, though none of them can be considered “folk” songs because the ones I like to sing are not “popular” enough.

cpardi, could I suggest you refer your study back to your research supervisor. Like a number of other respondents in this discussion I have a few concerns. There are undoubtedly major ethical issues as well as a number of methodological flaws that need to be addressed.

In the meantime your responses will undoubtedly be largely anecdotal, primarily skewed and therefore providing questionnable results. Unfortunately this is is not the place to discuss such matters, although I am sure a few of the old hacks here would be willing to discuss such issues away from this place.

One matter for you to consider - you have assumed that people who like/ play ITM also like/ play ‘Folk’ music - I would suggest this is a dangerous assumption.

You can find a wider debate on this issue at:

https://thesession.org/discussions/10617/comments#comment219516

On a separate note - who chose the ‘mustard’ colour for the background? It reminds me of those nappies I used to have to change when my kids were younger.

D

just occurred to me that if there’s a correlation to be found here, it’s most likely the one between personality type and people who enjoy using their computer - I know plenty of "folk" musicians of all ages who won’t go near the things

I always thought it was a wry reference to that other trad music site with a name not a million miles from ‘mustard’…

"you have assumed that people who like/ play ITM also like/ play ‘Folk’ music - I would suggest this is a dangerous assumption."

This very true but it’s also an erroneous assumption to "assume they (all) DON’T". 😉

Having said that, I don’t want to get into arguing what "Folk music" is or isn’t. It’s true that the term has been corrupted so much that it’s pretty meaningless. However, it is also true to say that there is much overlap between " good traditional" music and "folk" although the former can happily exist on its own in its purest form. Also, it’s highly probable that you will encounter some of the very best Irish Trad (and those from other countries) players if you visit good folk clubs and festivals.

That’s the way it is whether you like it or not. 😉

I play English folk music (aka morris) as well as ITM, and I’m sure I’m not alone among the members here.

This tends to go back to the term ‘trad’
Rather than folk, celtic, Irish/Scottish/Breton. Gaelic, Shetland, Galician, Asturian, ITM, STM, Diddley, Diddly, songs, lilting, Irish pop, Van, Chieftans, etc. I believe trad is the only term that has not raised objections.

Posted by .

I was watching some old Black Adder last night (#1) and they were planning a festival. Every time I see "Morris Dancer" I’ll think of this now.

‘Episode 2: Born to be King

Introduction: In 1486, the second year of Richard IV’s historic reign and also the year in which the egg replaced the worm as the lowest form of currency, King Richard departed England on a crusade against the Turks.

He left behind him his beloved son Prince Harry to rule as Regent in his stead…..

…and his slimy son Edmund to do the tasks most befitting him.

With the King gone Edmund rejoices. "At last, a chance for some real power!" But it’s not to be. Harry sets Edmund the task of organizing the "frolics" - and the drains - for the double celebration of St. Leonard,s day and their father,s return from the Crusades. Edmund is inwardly furious. At Harry’s command, he has had to exercise the royal sheep, straighten the royal portraits and now this. Where will he find the Morris dancers, eunuchs and bearded ladies at such short notice, as well as seeing to the drains? Why is Harry such as bastard? "If only he were, my Lord," says Baldrick, "then you would be Regent now."

Inspired by Baldrick’s remark, the Adder wastes no time in attempting to discredit his brother - not to mention his mother. But he succeeds only in casting doubt on his own legitimacy, very nearly losing all his land and titles to a wild and hairy Scot who could also be his half brother.’

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/8730/Blackadder.html

For the sake of discussion and anecdotal research…

[I don’t use the Music-Industry sense of “Folk Music”.]

I see/feel/taste/hear a common thread among all the kinds of folk/ethnic/indigenous/traditional/etc music that have been such an important part of my life for the past sixty years.

It’s about the song, not the singer. The tune, not the player. The tunes and songs are handed down, passed around, shaped, polished, scratched, smoothed, cracked, patched up, bent, straightened, bent another way, freely given, gratefully received, remembered, forgotten, pulled apart, mixed together, planted, harvested, danced to, marched to, married to, buried to, mourned through. They’ve told the news, told the tale, told the joke, told the ineffable.

Folk music is like a never ending wall of graffiti that stretches back for miles and centuries, fading with the years but leaving tantalizing fragments that become seeds for future imaginings. More than any other genre of art (if you’ll pardon the word), it distills the essence of humanity.

But, mainly, it’s just so damn much fun. And it once helped me woo a young lady, who is still with me four decades later.

Bob (INFP)

Reading the replies above, I was just wondering if there was a category in the personality test for ‘Butterfly Mind’.

And, yes, hey Bob, the music did that for me too. Only 31 years so far….

People who mock Morris Dancers are perhaps devoid of culture, or perhaps simply not interested in folk traditions. I imagine that dwellers from the Amazon jungle might view disco dancing in a similar light, but they would probably accept it, maybe not their cup of tea, but a custom in modern, "developed" society.

Morris dancing is a noble folk pursuit, and the fuse to light many great sessions.

Eloquently put, Bob Yourself. The great flexibility, usefulness and fun of this music are reasons that I love it as well. (INFP)
The dance continues….

…which I’m sure someone has the real tune name for…?

And a quick Morris handerchief dance can always legitimise a session in an English pub should there be any doubt about the pub’s music licence! (That’s enshrined in an Act of Parliament, btw).

There was certain to be at least one good act of parliament.

North West Clogs rule.

I an INTJ
“I am trying to find out if there is a correlation between those who like Folk Music and a certain personality type.”
The correlation is between people who read this board and like music [sampling error: we play it and like it] and care enough to respond truthfully, and have a clue what our personality type is.

Textbook INTJ here, and I would have surmised that dogmageek was as well even without being told explicitly, just from that succinct summary of the only sorts of conclusions you can reliably draw from a self-selected sample.

Cpardi, if you want to see if there’s a certain personality type that’s disproportionately represented among, say, sessioneers, get thee to a session and conduct a survey there. Conducting one here will only tell you if there’s a certain personality type that’s disproportionately represented among people who post about their personality types on internet messageboards about sessions.

Actually ‘posters’ tend to reveal more about their personalities than one could ever witness in a session.
Christina is apparently studying people who like folk music ~ no mention that anyone in the study has to actually play music.

Posted by .

Hi there cpardi
I like folk music for many reasons. Here are a few that may not be the most obvious:

a) it’s a living, evolving, organic tradition, not a museum

b) it makes me move - this is important to me, it makes me tap my foot, which is kind of an external manifestation of the fact that I’m dancing inside

c) there’s less delineation between performers and audience than in other traditions - at festivals there are lots of players in the audience, and at one session I go to at our national festival you’ll often find yourself sitting beside a headline performer who has come along to a slow session because they are learning a new instrument etc.

d) the players are so uncool - in other words they have nothing to gain by ignoring their admirers. In my experience they have been endlessly helpful and generous with their time when I have asked them questions

That’s just a few things off the top of my head, with limited time.

I am an INFJ (33, 25, 50, 22)

I play whistle and have started learning concertina.

I love all kinds of music, as long as it is "good". (I won’t go into what "good" means to me.) So I am not exclusively into folk, but it’s really my favourite.

I’d love to know a bit about what you find.

hi everyone…thanks for all the input….to try and asnwer some of the questions about me…hmmm…Heidelberg College is in Tiffin, OH…VERY small town…no clubs containing those who are willing to play music here…literally…I am about an hour or so from toledo…so that is a possibility…my rough draft for this research conference is due on the 28th…everything youve all given me is great…even the crap that is useless…i like it all..to address how i am conducting this research…via the internet…forums..what not…i think it is the best way for it to be done considering the cirsumstances…we work with what we have and this is what i have…afterall, you all responded right? I think its very helpful to me…i hardly doubt that i would have heard from some of the foreigners that i have if i hadnt posted on some of these forums…so thank you everyone…lastly…if there is anything else you would like to know or have to say…feel free…the actual conference isnt until like feb 20th so i will be revising until then…thanks again..

Some people are not too hot on their geography: Arran is in Scotland not Ireland.

Aran, where the jumpers are from,is in Ireland.

Posted by .