Question for dancers

Question for dancers

How would you dance to the Scottish reel
The Flowers of Edinburgh?

Posted by .

Re: Question for dancers

The two hand reel is simple dance for a couple. that is exciting and fun. Perhaps that might do? Dont think i know the tune though……

The lost tribe of Alba? 😀

I still think that the R.S.C.D.S. has the ol’ pousette completely a*s backwards and generally screwed up…

I wondered what had happened to the White Heather Club🙂

My living room sometimes, with Jimmy Shand and the band… 😉

For those not familiar with its initials, it’s the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society - http://www.rscds.org - an organisation devoted to destroying the soul of Scottish traditional music and reinforcing all the stereotypes you could ever imagine for the last 80 years.

Andy Stewart has a lot to answer for, but can’t be blamed for this self-serving bunch of Morningside diddies.

Posted by .

MacCruishkeen Ban, beware the ides of March… It’ll be like a Doctor Who episode, only the robots will all be wearing kilts and evening gowns with tartan sashes… 😎

That´s quite an easy dance. It´s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right. With your hands on your hips you bring your knees in tight. Remember though, that it’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

More dancing choices ~ in North America, Canada and the U.S. of A. ~ any 32 bar dance, for example a contra or a quadrille…

The ‘Ulster Clap Dance’…of which there are several varieties, most often danced to "Soldiers Joy"…

& ~ any 32 bar reel…

If played with swing, as a hornpipe, there are other possible options…for example, any of the several versions of "Siamsa Bierta", the two-hand hornpipe…

Or ~ "The Jacky Tar"…

That was merely a detour.
Is F.O.E. a 2-hand reel, country dance, Irish hornpipe, schottische, time-warp … or ~
all of the above?

Posted by .

All of the above ~ and then some… 😎

scary bells there 🙂

Everything is bigger over there baz…

More and bigger…

Nice one CC… I had forgotten to mention that.

It would be great to have a Morris take on the tune in the ‘comments’ for it… Hint, hint… I’m surprised the Merry Highlander hasn’t added one of the endless American takes on the tune, which was played around his interests. I’ll have to prod him and wake him and after the grump, get him to contribute to this… 😉

I’m posting a morris take on this tune in the Tunes section.

Ah, ok, that one…. To my mind its a hornpipe! 😎

More to follow in the ‘comments’ for the tune, great hound dog.

Jig ~ YES! ~ the liklihood, and the earliest transcriptions, have this as a hornpipe. As has happened to many hornpipes, that flattening out, prevalent in North America and elsewhere, the tune became known as and used as a reel, as it is for dance there, contras and quadrilles, etc… I believe there is also a contra dance that is known by that name. I’ll see if I can dig it out and add it here for further comparisons of how this tune has been and is used for dancing. We have known, played it and danced to it both with swing, as a hornpipe in that style, and straight, as a reel, as a couple dance and en-masse… 😎

Here is a link so you can see how often it has come up in ABCs, one of the largest blocks of contributions I know of:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/ndx/FL.html

& rant!!! ~ another way to dance to it…

I am searching my memory to remember where the set comes from that Pat Ryan suggested the tune was used in Ireland for one of the figures but its just not there. I think it was a barn dance figure .

Ok Ive been spending les stime at the PC and more at other things, but Ive been sucked in by the allure and temptations of bright mustards and the chaos and madness of traditional melodies and the strange comfort they bring to me…

The Flowers of Edinburgh is one of the old tunes still traditionally played in the Allegheny and Potomac Highlands of the USA and although its been standardized and played currently as posted here already, at one time (pre 1900 to 1960s probably ) it was a tune of great variation to the players of the afore mentioned region.

Samuel Bayard collected many versions between the 1930s and 60s from "ear" players and almost all of them would be considered "crooked" meaning they had measures of 6/4. These crooked tunes are very prominent in West Virginia as well.

However, not all versions were "crooked" but each player had a version all his own in keeping with the oldest standards and characteristics of the central/mid Appalachian tradition.
"c" emailed me and got me into this and its interesting that I play a unique version of this tune that I picked up somewhere. It is not "crooked" (I personally don’t prefer crooked tunes.)

This version is not one you’d here in the jams around WV, MD and PA these days, but it is mine (and I really enjoy my personal setting of the tune )… As far as the category of reel/hornpipe? In the past it was really up to the player and how he laid it down… Currently, it is a tune that goes at a pretty brisk pace and Id say it wouldnt be called a hornpipe.

So from the hands of the merry-hielander…

X:1
T:Flowers of Edinburgh
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:160
K:G
|: (3DEF | G2GA B2AB | cBAG E2E2 | EFGE DEFG | AdBG E2GE | | D2DE G2GA | BGBd efge | dBAG EDEG | (3ABAG2 G2 :|
|: (3def | g2gf gbag | fefg a2az | edef edBd | de2d e2ge |
| dBGB d3d | edef g2fe | dBAG DEFG | (3ABAG2 G2 :|

I’d meant for you to visit the tune for the likes of the previous, and interesting. I’m going to cut-and-paste and move it over there. 😉 This discussion probably wouldn’t have carried forward without the section, but it could all easily fit into the ‘comments’ for the tune, along with the previous…

"The Virginia Reel", "The Auld/Old/Ol’ Virginia Reel" ~ a longways dance or contra, of which there are various versions, major progression and minor… 😎

I’m still looking and cogitatin’…