Any hints for finding the back beat?

Any hints for finding the back beat?

Hello

The"front" beat of a tune comes much more easily for me. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts for finding (understanding) the back beat. I would like to use the back more for emphasising the pulse of a tune.

Thanks,

w

Posted by .

Re: Any hints for finding the back beat?

Well to consistantly hit the off beat i breath in, on the off beat, small short breaths, not for long mind, but It is very hard to nail the off beat on the head. That is how i do it.

listen to Western Swing, and Shetland guitarists backing fiddle tunes
You’ll find it hard to lose the backbeat after a while!

Posted by .

Depends how fast the tunes are!

lots of converts regrettably come to itm not from jazz or r&b, but white folkie music, which rhythmically has a stick jammed up you-know-where, and can’t swing to save its life. if you have this unfortunate handicap, don’t despair, but follow a program of remedial whoom-shacka:

buy records by the Tulla Ceili Band. all of the clare music has delightful syncopation, but the east clare, and some of the old east galway/ballinakil stuff, excels when it comes to that booty-shakin’ whoom-shacka. as my teacher explained it, shaking his booty as he put the record on to show me the syncopation, "now, here is WHY you love the tulla ceili band….."

the two indie-made live cds of east clare dance music by the Lahawns, have it in spades, also the recent cd of (mostly) fiddle music by the Traveller family the Raineys. the Raineys’ rhythm sounds almost exactly like its indirect american dancehall inspirations, whose further antecedents you can hear on a cd which i believe is smithsonidan/folkway, "Black Stringband Music," and Cds of white Appalachian plus of ragtime-derived black blues music from the North Carolina/Virginia/Piedmont region. people like Blind Blake & Blind Lemon Jefferson. that stuff will give it to you straight, no chaser, in addition to being delightful as hell. that african-american raggy swing made its way to the scots/irish appalachian dance music, and then to blue grass, and also to the irish dancehalls of america, where it also (praise the lord) goosed the irish dancehall stuff that inflamed ireland via u.s.-based irish records and u.s.-based early swing/jazz that the irish loved & the catholic church loathed. so grab that stuff, pop it on, and live with it, bop to it until you can’t imagine 4/4/-time music that doesn’t go WHOOM-ba-chacha, WHOOM-ba-cha-cha, WHOOM-ba-cha-cha, WHOOM-ba-chacha, etc. the irish variety hits the "WHOOM" more faintly, but in the best stuff, it is unmistakably there. [the new england-based oldtime music, does NOT have this. you gotta go to appalachia, both white & black, or new orleans, early black ragswing, "jump blues," "jug band," etc.]

another of my faves is a wonderful compilation cd from the 20s/30s/40s titled "Drunk & Nutty: Hillbillys Messin’ With the Blues." once you put it on, it’s hard to take it off.

In reels, emphasising the backbeat results in:
one two THREE four five six SEVEN eight
In jigs:
one two THREE four five SIX
Just listen to any old recording of the Chieftans and you’ll hear their bodhran player doing this.