Anyone recognise this?

Anyone recognise this?

Please put me out of my misery - can anyone recognise this tune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-n6HNB1huc

I understand it is called "Môn".. I could do with either some software that will convert the audio on a YouTube video into the dots (an unlikely option), or and more hopefully, somewhere that has published the sheet music. Or ideally, a site that has the dots/ ABC file available.

I know - I could learn it by ear - trouble is, I’m not that clever!

Ta muchly

D

Re: Anyone recognise this?

Amazingly there is a piece of software that can not only turn audio into dots but is accurate for most music involving a guitar or keyboard of any sort (I guess they started with fairly common instruments). The main requirement is a clear view of finger positions all times in the video.

The software uses a version of the tracking software built into some high-end video applications. You select a start point in the video and (by drawing an area with your mouse) identify contrasty points on the headstock of a guitar (usually bright highlights on the tuners) or on the keyboard (works particularly well because of the pattern of black and white keys). The program runs the video through once, tracking and stabilising the video images. The magic happens in the second "pass" where you select the fretboard / keyboard area and the software tracks the changes in finger position.

Before you get excited, it can’t work out chords by looking, but the finger changes are enough information to tell the audio software to focus on points where the harmonies change and that then acts as a data input to control the audio to midi conversion (and then from midi it’s a simple step to producing the dots - the whole process takes about 3 times the length of the original video).

Sorry about the long explanation but it’s rather nifty. I forget what they program’s called, (VidiMidi or some such) but someone else might know it…

Re: Anyone recognise this? ~ these!!!

The last part of this ~ "Môn" / "Anglesey"

& then the first part of this ~ "Rachel Dafydd Ifan"…

You can find both here, one after the other on the same page ~

"Blodau’r Grug: 100 Popular Welsh Folk Dance Tunes"
Compiled and edited by Alex Hamilton & revised by Robin Huw Bowen
Cymdeithas Ddawns Werin Cymru/The Welsh Folk Dance Society, 1992

Section 2: Hornpipes, Polkas and Marches
Page 24
tune #40: "Môn" / "Anglesey"
tune #41: "Rachel Dafydd Ifan"

Mark, that wouldn’t have helped him here as there is no single complete tune, only parts of two… 😏

ceolochan - diolch!

I should have recognised Ynys Mon. I guess it must be those fading brain cells that come with age.

I have to say I wasn’t impressed by the youtube video I first showed, but there was something about the tunes that grabbed me.

Many thanks again

D

Croeso!!!