Why No B Minor Jigs?

Why No B Minor Jigs?

While I was playing some tunes today I realized that I know no B minor jigs, I really like B minor so I searched here on the session and found a mere 57 of them. Compare this to 792 Reels in D, and 526 jigs in G. Not only where there very few B minor jigs, but not a single one had been added to 100 tune books, and almost all were written recently. Why is this? are there no good Bm Jigs? Or are they simply not part of the tradition for some reason?

Any thoughts?

Re: Why No B Minor Jigs?

There are probably a bunch more on the site incorrectly listed as DMaj. Also look out for BDor.

no b’s on accordion basses

and b chords are miserable/weak/convoluted on guitars

did I mention that most guitars play b as a barr chord

Don’t forget that many E and A Dorian tunes work well in B Dorian, too, and that it may be customary in some parts of the world to play a tune that is normally in E or A Dorian in B instead. Or vice versa.

Off the top of my head, the first part of The Shores of Lough Gowna and the second part of the Connacht Man’s Rambles are in Bminor. They’re mighty tunes and about as common as jigs get.

I think McKenzie’s Fancy is a Scottish jig in that key. There must be some more in the Highland Pipe repertoire: B Minor tunes can fit into the bagpipe scale, whose nine notes have been arranged in every conceivable combination by generations of tunesmiths. Surely some of these people composed a B Minor jig or two…

What about the "B" part of Sackows jig? I suppose lots of tunes in "D" may have a B minor part - the Glass of Beer reel is one that immediately comes to mind.

John McKenzie’s ~ looks like some fun.
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/136
I haven’t heard the CD. But from the ‘Comments’ I linked to a MIDI of GreatHBPipes ~ ‘The Kitchen Piper’
I am sure the original is good though.
Shooglenifty

Posted by .

I sometimes play Price of my Pig in Bm; Up in the Air, a Kevin Burke tune, is another favorite Bm jig.

A search through my ABC files, which include many thousands of tunes (Norbek, O’Neill’s, Breathnach, several large Scottish collections, and more) only turned up 28 matches for BDor and 80 matches for BMin (for tunes of all rhythms). And many of those will be duplicates. It seems those really are unpopular keys, especially for tunes that have been around the block a few times.

once, on a GB gig (general business- dinners, dances, etc) a trumpet player said "that’s a non-union key"! Maybe it’s the same in ITM…

cillian and Niall Vallely have a great Bm jig on their album…grada play a few mighty ones also…kevin burke has been partial to them also

Real traditional Irish music always has to fit to the drones in D!

I play the Tar Road to Sligo and the Shores of Lough Gowna together. Two Bm jigs in one set, do I get a medal?

b minor is a confusing term,the scales are bdorian and b aeolian[natural minor]there is also a melodic minor,which is something else again.
B dorian is flat 3 flat 7,aeolian is flat 3 flat6 flat7[inrelation to b major scale].b dorian tunes can be harmonised with b minor or b modal the notes b f#.
B minor chord is easy, if you use double drop d guitar,and you still have your standard tuning on the middle 4 strings,youhave to learn a new g major chord,but its easier.
The orphan jig

Posted .

There are *gazillions* of Bm jigs for the GHB.

BUT.

Since GHB is pitched in A, the tunes are really more like Em tunes on a flute or whistle.

If that makes any sense whatsoever.

dickens,
b major scale is a confusing term, the scales are b ionian, b lydian, b mixolidian… ;-)

worm diet, that in fact makes no sense whatsoever:-)
Folks major and minor are not confusing at all. there are scales with a major 3rd and scales with a minor third. thats it. the modes you describe are subsections of the greater family. These family just give one factor, the third step.

jig,the term minor is not precise,
firstly they are not in the melodic minor,
then you have three different modes that are used frequently in ITM,Dorian, Mixolydian [in effect halfway between dorian and major] and aeolian[naturalminor].
then of course in other forms of traditional music you have the phrygian mode,
here you have different phryggin steps.
e, fnat ,g, a, b, c ,d ,e
,then the HIJAZ MODE
E Fnat G#ABCDE,
its not just about minor or major thirds.
now you couldnt call the phrygian aminor key,but it has a minor third,
neither would you call the hijaz a major key but it has a major third,so to be specific it is better to call them by their right
names.
I know it makes little difference to a guitarist,who just needs to know what chords to play.
but to melody players these scales are distinctly different,you would have to be tone deaf,to think the hijaz scale sounds like a major scale.

Posted .

Hijaz mode? I just googled it. Yuh learn something every day. If yer not careful.